Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City | Saturday 2nd April 2022 - 3pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Not a game to enthuse but it is now April, last month of the season, yay!!!! Lincoln keep it tight so we might struggle to break them down, 1-1.
  • edited April 2022
    I’ve weighed this up carefully and believe that if we score more goals than them on the day I predict an Addicks victory and the lovely song that goes after it.  If we don’t score more goals than them then I suspect it will either be a draw or a defeat.
  • ross1 said:
    What was also really interesting was the complete lack of reaction from the Newcastle (I assume) players. No histrionics, so surrounding the referee, they seemed completely unbothered by the foul.
  • I think we will win, but then it's a mid table team in a bit of form against a mid table team out of form, which isn't exactly something to set the heart racing.

But then I've not been to a game for several weeks due to Covid, so up for it tomorrow!
  • edited April 2022
    First time in yeas that I'm not going to a home match (when fit & well). Really can't be arsed. There is nothing hanging on this match. We are mid table mediocrity & play like its a pre-season friendly. Roll on July 30th when I'm sure we will be parading a super dupa team with boundless energy, a lot of skill & a host of Premiership youngsters.....because the owner told us so. 

7-6. Burstow with 5 after we go down to 10 men.
  • The previous meeting I was at was the moment it really sunk in that we are shit.  Expect better this time and I’m actually dusting my season ticket off to attend, last time I was at a match was the 33rd minute of Oxford at home, been on a mini boycott ever since.  

Still not over this season, they still anger me every time I look at the table, but we’ll win today.  2-1 Fraser, Stockley.
  • cabbles said:
    I think we’ll win.  Just listened to Jackson’s pre match piece and the fact we’re on 99 yellow cards and that he was unaware.  You couldn’t get a more mundane bit of pre-match insight if you went searching.  I’m not knocking Mendez for raising it as a talking point, just highlighting how utterly irrelevant this season has turned out to be.  

I think we’re good for another Burtonesque type win.  Someone like Gilbey will score and it’ll convince a few more he’s someone that should feature next season.  Lincoln are a nothing side.  The three wins on the bounce make us nothing more than a more in form nothing side.  

We’ll win tomorrow, probably pick up at least a point at AFC on Tuesday, maybe more.  

5 wins in a row will do something funny to the more delusional among you, where you start to get excited about tying the likes of Lee, Purrington and Matthews down as good ‘squad options’ for next season, only to realise when next season arrives the squad options are starting too much and we’re still scratching around looking for positives after a point at home to Forest Green.  Energy price hikes have meant we’re all freezing to a slow death, there’s a new Covid variant, World War 3 has officially started.  Aneke managed 70 minutes on the opening day of the season before going off injured, Gilbey only has one goal in the Papa John’s by December, Minto and Curbs are saying if we can just put a run together the play-offs aren’t far off.  Sandgaard is tweeting ‘excellent performance’ as we beat the might Newport at home whilst simultaneously giving the whole of the west upper over to schools in the borough of Greenwich for the second half of the season as free ticket, in the hope 4 or 5 of them say they’ve had a great day and their parents think to buy them a season ticket in 23/24, edging us that little bit closer to ‘breaking even’.

Finally, no one is yet to hit that bloody cross bar.  

Enjoy the game tomorrow everybody ;-) 
    What?  Aneke won't do 70 minutes!
  • Other than JFC potentially getting minutes this is of no interest to me at all. 

Nothing to play for, no I would like to see such and such get a run out or see x and y play together.  So fucking depressing. 

We could play like Pepe's Barcelona for the next handful of games and it won't matter.  Although it will add fuel to the if Adkins was sacked earlier or if Inniss and Aneke were fit all season nonsense.

I think this is the biggest self inflicted injury, on the playing side, the club have inflicted on themselves in a generation.   
  • Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City
    Saturday 2nd April 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Robert Madley

Prediction
    It once again appears as though a pattern is forming amongst many in this squad - With games running out fast, its leaving many in the squad less and less opportunity to show they deserve another contract. Of course many will argue that they've wasted their chances with the overall displays this term, and we'll once again see another vain effort to remain in SE7 once again this Saturday.
    So pleased to see that Jackson has been settling on a starting eleven and will hopefully stick with it as far as he can. Getting a start in our side has become a matter of routine and turnabout this season. Players have been dropped for successively woeful performances and appear to be content on the bench for a few games, safe in the knowledge they will be recalled. Players should be performing in order to get into the side and should know that a failure to put in the required effort, let alone performances, means you will be dropped and might not necessarily get back in the side. 

The harsh facts are, far too many in this squad have wasted their opportunities this season and are directly responsible for the worst season in living memory. They don't deserve another chance and we should avoid the temptation to let them earn another contract because we already know what that will entail. For me, Corey Blackett-Taylor is a prime example. I have been saying for ages that he would shake a leg before the end of the season. No doubting some players capabilities but if you have shown very clearly you are content to drift through games one week after another without earning your money, you aren't good enough. Simple as that and it's the manager's job to protect us from it.
  • Sponsored links:

• How I miss those days when tackles like the one made by Peter Shirtliff were fairly common place. With the likes of Shirtliff, Steve Thompson, Paul Miller and John Pender to choose from, Lennie Lawrence could always put out a central defence pairing that took no prisoners. Happy days.
  • Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City
    Saturday 2nd April 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
    Referee: Robert Madley

Prediction
    It once again appears as though a pattern is forming amongst many in this squad - With games running out fast, its leaving many in the squad less and less opportunity to show they deserve another contract. Of course many will argue that they've wasted their chances with the overall displays this term, and we'll once again see another vain effort to remain in SE7 once again this Saturday.
    So pleased to see that Jackson has been settling on a starting eleven and will hopefully stick with it as far as he can. Getting a start in our side has become a matter of routine and turnabout this season. Players have been dropped for successively woeful performances and appear to be content on the bench for a few games, safe in the knowledge they will be recalled. Players should be performing in order to get into the side and should know that a failure to put in the required effort, let alone performances, means you will be dropped and might not necessarily get back in the side. 

The harsh facts are, far too many in this squad have wasted their opportunities this season and are directly responsible for the worst season in living memory. They don't deserve another chance and we should avoid the temptation to let them earn another contract because we already know what that will entail. For me, Corey Blackett-Taylor is a prime example. I have been saying for ages that he would shake a leg before the end of the season. No doubting some players capabilities but if you have shown very clearly you are content to drift through games one week after another without earning your money, you aren't good enough. Simple as that and it's the manager's job to protect us from it.
    Talking out your arse regarding CBT - he looked our only attacking threat under Adkins, then had to learn a new position under Jackson which he looked to be adjusting to, and then got a hamstring injury - he’s been our best player since he returned. 

He also already has a contract for next season. 
  • I hope to see a youngster or two today to add some interest to the end of the season.
    So probably Gunter, Watson and Pearce will start!
  • Listening to Gold whilst getting my polyfilla applied and what are they now playing ?

Rainbow Valley, of course ! 

It's an omen, I tell ye !
  • Worth noting that there are no Rainham Thameslink trains to Charlton today due to engineering works
  • If there a reason why this thread is in Fun, jokes and captions?  :D
  • Alraight, you 'orrible lot.

I'll stick the Match Thread up dreckly.

On the case.

I'm going to have to screenshot as proof I'm not some crazy bastard putting the Preview in random categories each week.

For some reason the choice to select was missing again. 

Although I didn't see the point in asking for it to be updated this week, as thought the chosen category was rather accurate :D
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2022
    I find it so sad the comments of those folk who are not attending the Valley with nothing to play for or fed up with the team.
    I've supported Charlton since the mid sixties and suffered so many mediocre teams and performances during that time.
    I used to stand on the sparsely populated wide open terraces where I could recognise and sympathise
    with my fellow Addick's as we witnessed the team struggling on the pitch.
    "You won't see me here next season" said one of my fellow masochists' as the last match of another mediocre season ended. 
    But there he was at the start of a new season hoping beyond hope that this season would be different.
    My elderly Millwall supporting neighbour (who died some years ago) once said, "supporting a football team is tantamount to masochism" he said he had supported Millwall for sixty years and for fifty-nine and a three quarters of those years had been pure misery, he could hardly remember the good days. 
    So, would I like to be at the Valley today.
    You bet I would.
    Win draw or even lose, I would love to just be there.
    Unfortunately age and ill heath prevent me from making the 260 mile round trip.
    So for those dissolution folk who turn their backs today on our team, "See you next season".    

110% this - I wish you well JohnfromNorfolk.  Saw my first games at the Valley as a nipper with my dad back in “68, and first season ticket in 73/4. Watching Charlton is a fantastic ride but with significantly more downs than up (2 relegations to Div 3 in the 70’s), which makes the ups both all the more enjoyable and surprising!   I have been working in HK, Singapore and now the US for 22 years and since we lost Premiership status the ability to watch the team on telly - until Charlton TV -  was an experience that was in the few and far between category.  I am rarely back in the UK outside the summer months and when I am I am either working or Charlton have been away.  For those of you on a mini strike cos we are shit, we’ve been shit a lot over the years, but we are still Charlton and it is our club - so please don’t forget that you will miss it if you can’t go and you should enjoy the ride (ups and downs) and remember those of us who, for whatever reason, don’t have the opportunity to watch live and would love to!

All the best

• edited April 2022
    I refer you to my earlier answers ?

If JJ can stop getting injuries we will win a lot more matches than we lose.
    Jack shit to anyone being tactically naive.

Washington and Stockley as a two up front is impressive even when they miss the odd penalty or open goal. When we are pushing for promotion next season they may become 3 and 4 in the pecking order of the strikers.

Since Giving up my season ticket I pick my home games now. On a winning run of 5 in a row. 

I'm here today ( hush your mouth Sam)

• Back out on The Valley turf 

• All different.
    All together.
    All Charlton.

I'm going to have to screenshot as proof I'm not some crazy bastard putting the Preview in random categories each week.

For some reason the choice to select was missing again. 

Although I didn't see the point in asking for it to be updated this week, as thought the chosen category was rather accurate :D
    It happened with my Match Thread also, @ForeverAddickted  

There be they gremlins in the works, me 'andsome. :wink: