Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

STATBANK: ROTHERHAM 0-1 CHARLTON

thanks to the 30 who gave marks

Comments

• Options
    I know pass completion is the most bogus of all stats, but 30% for a CM who played 90 is a truly magnificent, epochal achievement and I feel it needs to be highlighted 
  • Options
    I didn't see the game but Gilbey, Curbs and Jackos best mate, keeps getting a game. What do they see in him that none of us see?? 
  • Options
    He's lovely on Twitter, and he runs around a lot
  • Options
    Generally we are even worse when he doesn't play, that's even worse IMO. 

The difference in marks for a 3 man midfield is the reason we are pushing for top of the bottom half and not the top. 
  • Options
    I don't usually comment on the stats but it interests me that the general observation is that the team played a battling good game but our two CMs got the lowest marks, if all had been fit who would you have played in their places?
  • Options
    I don't usually comment on the stats but it interests me that the general observation is that the team played a battling good game but our two CMs got the lowest marks, if all had been fit who would you have played in their places?
    Fraser and JFC quite obviously 
  • Options
    (although I'm not convinced Morgan is so far behind Fraser) 
  • Options
    I didn't watch the game, but those passing stats are eye openers
    Pearce 90%
    Famewo 42%
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Fraser and JFC quite obviously 
    Come on Leuth, you don’t really think Fraser has been good .

I’m wholly with you on Gilbey, btw..
  • Options
    I know its abit academic but is the season winner the one with the most MoM's or the best average score? No diff this season but another season these could be different players.  More interesting this season is 2nd /3rd place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Gilbey is not at his best but he is working hard and I think he can come good. He is a player I like. I was interested Curbs said he liked him. There is a player in there and hopefully a good pre-season and we can see the best out of him. The same with Fraser really. I would imagine both would be decent from the bench at least next season so we need to bring a couple in and let them fight it out for starting places. Morgan has a year left so will probably stay.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Look at the old warhorse Pearcey's mark ....... 34 years old, past it of course (according to most), and hasn't started for a while.

So close to MoM. Mark 7.9

He leads by example and determination. I'm impressed, Skip.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Look at the old warhorse Pearcey's mark ....... 34 years old, past it of course (according to most), and hasn't started for a while.

So close to MoM. Mark 7.9

He leads by example and determination. I'm impressed, Skip.

Everyone is aware of Perce's limitations and wouldn't want him starting every game. However his leadership is something that is really effective. We don't have another potential leader although perhaps Lavelle has shown signs he could become one. I would be interested to see the average points per game we have got with Pearce in the team this year as against it without him. 
  • Options
    I think Gilbey is not at his best but he is working hard and I think he can come good. He is a player I like. I was interested Curbs said he liked him. There is a player in there and hopefully a good pre-season and we can see the best out of him. The same with Fraser really. I would imagine both would be decent from the bench at least next season so we need to bring a couple in and let them fight it out for starting places. Morgan has a year left so will probably stay.
    Gilbey for me needs to become that midfield goalscorer getting into double figures if he’s going to keep his place and we’re going to challenge for promotion. If he can’t then we need another midfielder (or two, including the wing backs) to offer a regular goal threat.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    Gilbey for me needs to become that midfield goalscorer getting into double figures if he’s going to keep his place and we’re going to challenge for promotion. If he can’t then we need another midfielder (or two, including the wing backs) to offer a regular goal threat.
    I agree. I think he gets the chances to and if the team is playing better and he sharpens up a little. he could well do but we do need alternatives if we are going to make a push next season. As he ight not.
  • Options
    I’m really not sure about Gilbey, he’s had decent opportunities to show what he’s about. For me he hasn’t affected games enough, good at hitting the post but not shown he’s a top 6 midfield standard.
    Difficult decisions to be made this transfer window.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Pearce 90%
    Famewo 42%
    The role Famewo and Clare are being asked to play in this formation will dictate that their completion percentages will naturally be lower than the central man - in this case Pearce. It’s not that Pearce is a masterful passer of the ball. The wider CBs are encouraged to get the ball forward and play riskier passes/dribbles into the attacking third while Pearce will have strict instructions to keep it simple, back and across, side to side.

Even so Famewo (42%) compares poorly to his counterpart on the other side Clare (61%).

He’s a bit of an enigma. He looked very composed last season in a four alongside Inniss. He even made the occasional marauding run forward which in theory should play perfectly into this three at the back system.

For whatever reason, he’s gone backwards. He has no real appetite to get forward anymore and quite often reverts to hoofing it long down the line. Is it a symptom of playing next to CBT/DJ rather than a more defensively solid player in Purrington?
  • Options
    I didn't see the game but Gilbey, Curbs and Jackos best mate, keeps getting a game. What do they see in him that none of us see?? 
    New whipping boy by the looks....
  • Options
    I’m really not sure about Gilbey, he’s had decent opportunities to show what he’s about. For me he hasn’t affected games enough, good at hitting the post but not shown he’s a top 6 midfield standard.
    Difficult decisions to be made this transfer window.
    we were spoilt getting Cullen and having Aribo .. I have not seen that many very good midfielders in L1 recently, but that surely is to be expected .. the one really good one is Barry Bannan and he's been top quality for years .. Twine at MKD could well be another very goodie
  • Options
    Pearce 90%
    Famewo 42%
    The role Famewo and Clare are being asked to play in this formation will dictate that their completion percentages will naturally be lower than the central man - in this case Pearce. It’s not that Pearce is a masterful passer of the ball. The wider CBs are encouraged to get the ball forward and play riskier passes/dribbles into the attacking third while Pearce will have strict instructions to keep it simple, back and across, side to side.

Even so Famewo (42%) compares poorly to his counterpart on the other side Clare (61%).

He’s a bit of an enigma. He looked very composed last season in a four alongside Inniss. He even made the occasional marauding run forward which in theory should play perfectly into this three at the back system.

For whatever reason, he’s gone backwards. He has no real appetite to get forward anymore and quite often reverts to hoofing it long down the line. Is it a symptom of playing next to CBT/DJ rather than a more defensively solid player in Purrington?
    I expect the wide CBs to play more forward passes, and thus have a lower percentage, but not that much!

Famewo's passing in recent months has been atrocious. Even if he doesn't want to stay with us, I can't imagine Norwich are impressed either, nor any watching scouts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    To do that Gilbey needs to be in a position to get passed the strikers and run in the box.  He can do that but not in this system.  Without him though our midfield looks very one paced. 
  • Options
    Is it the system, the player or the team? I don’t think we can put down entirely to one of them. 

If the team had more possession and created more chances that would help. We have several areas of the team we need to improve in the summer.

Does Gilbey get in the box often enough when we do create? Does he make enough runs from midfield? Does he take enough chances when he gets them? He’s not a threat from long range or set pieces.

With three CMs one of them should have plenty of opportunities to get into goalscoring positions.
  • Options
    these are the League game stats for Gilbey and Lee:

Minutes      Shots    On    Off  Blocked  Post  Goals  Assists
    Gilbey               2661            50       15    15      18        2       2          4
    Lee                   2421            49       20    12      16        1       3          6

I don't know what this proves but Lee seems the more effective

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Is it the system, the player or the team? I don’t think we can put down entirely to one of them. 

If the team had more possession and created more chances that would help. We have several areas of the team we need to improve in the summer.

Does Gilbey get in the box often enough when we do create? Does he make enough runs from midfield? Does he take enough chances when he gets them? He’s not a threat from long range or set pieces.

With three CMs one of them should have plenty of opportunities to get into goalscoring positions.
    Probably a bit of all 3 but the best spell Gilbey has had for us he was running passed Stockley.  None of our midfielders have done that this season. 

If it is the system I don't think Gilbey is good enough to change the system for, nor do we have a like for like replacement.

It's mid April and we don't know what our best 3 man midfield is, it's the only thing we have played all season.  That's a serious problem. 
  • Options
    I have seen Gilbey running past Stockley or who ever has played as the central striker this season under JJ.
    There was a game on Cafc TV where he had 4 chances and took one. Also the Ipswich home game when he was MOM and again had several runs into the box. At other times he is a headless chicken and has shit for brains as was proved with his two tug backs resulting in a red card and another away match when he did a silly foul and pushed his hand into the player's face getting a deserved yellow card. Gilbey kicked the ball away in that game and a lenient referee let him off.

I saw Washington miss 4 chances against Lincoln yet JJ gets the blame. I'm not interested any more watching games like we played under Nigel Adkins when all that mattered was a clean sheet. We have to improve but at least we create chances under JJ. We were so poor under Nigel at the beginning of this season when he felt we should play with just Stockley up front on his own with two wide men including using Conor too far away from Jayden. Stockley and Washington maybe are just League 1 strikers but at least they get into goal scoring positions when playing as a two up front. CBT finds it taxing to play as a wing back with defensive duties so Johnnie may have to adapt. No formation should ever be set in stone but I do enjoy wing backs and twin strikers. With a good attacking midfielder who appears to be a number 8 talking in the vernacular.

JJ, Gallen and coaches need to get fitter players into the valley or take a punt on a few more successful academy players to see if they can play men's football.

No progress made on the field this season but at least the nightmare scenario of League 2 was averted after 22nd place.

• Options
    these are the League game stats for Gilbey and Lee:

Minutes      Shots    On    Off  Blocked  Post  Goals  Assists
    Gilbey               2661            50       15    15      18        2       2          4
    Lee                   2421            49       20    12      16        1       3          6

I don't know what this proves but Lee seems the more effective

Lee is a more attacking player than Gilbey though, so you would expect more goal involvement. Indeed those stats highlight how disappointing he's been for us when compared to his form for Luton at this level