Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Ah well, there's always next season. 🙄
    Let's hope we enjoy a similar renaissance to the ones that followed the Foley, Powell and Robinson seasons. (Ironic that there are many more hated managers than those 3 in our history).
    At the risk of sounding "entitled" I hope Sandguard appreciates the scale of the failure this season.
  • Options
    Great information Henry.

A little reminder to Charlton Supporters and critics is that Johnnie Jackson took over when we were in 22nd place and the expectations that we could reach the playoffs was a longshot even if we didn't have the mandatory injuries to vital players. 

W13 D5 L11 is JJ's League record since the unexpected win at Sunderland.

44 points from 29 games is respectable so far in his first season in charge when you consider the consensus on CL at various times this season,  "this is the worse squad ever "!
    If that figure was to be extrapolated out for a whole season then, we would finish on 70 points which would probably have us finishing 9th or 10th. Not brilliant but not terrible for someone taking over somebody else’s team.
  • Options
    Read this all wrong.

Was gonna say Mark Fish for the first goal at Sunderland. I remember Chris Kamara describing it on Soccer Saturday ...."it was a crap shot from Mark Fish, off the side of his shin, off about 4 defenders, and in!"
  • Options
    Thought this was a Simon Church thread for a minute going by the title

*shudders*
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

*shudders*
    Lol - spooky - I saw the title and was thinking the exact same thing!

• Options
    Swisdom said:

*shudders*
    That's 'Churchino' actually. 
  • Options
    Poor old Churchy. Definitely not going into the record books as one of our better players but alongside the extensive failure I do actually have a lot of fond memories of his contributions. It's hard to remember specific instances of spongefooting, mostly because they were so regular, but across 5 league goals he won us 7 points in terms of his goal being the clincher, which ended up beig some pretty crucial points in his first season. He was also the one who got the goals in that almost great cup run we had. He only scored 7 times but he managed to make them fairly worthwhile goals bless his heart. If you're going to be bad at least make sure the tiny bit of good is well-placed
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Swisdom said:

*shudders*

@DaveMehmet thought it was going to be a picture or a bird with jizz on her ear...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sopranos 
  • Options
    Look all the apologists….. This season was and is a bloody disaster. You can throw up all the reasons why it’s not JJ, the coaching staff or the players fault. But, ultimately that’s what they are paid for.  So please don’t let a win at Rotherham suddenly become, that all our problems are over. BECAUSE THEY CERTAINLY ARE NOT….. 
  • Options
    Did you read the first or last tweet?
  • Options
    I did, but I’m already seeing a slide from some on here towards, it’s not so bad. When it bloody well is….. 
  • Options
    I did, but I’m already seeing a slide from some on here towards, it’s not so bad. When it bloody well is….. 
    Literally not a single person has said or even implied that. At all. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

*shudders*
    I maintain that Simon church was not an awful finisher
  • Options
    I think added context to the ‘finish’ statistics certainly makes a difference.

Would 13th be the worst “finish” ever? Based on Henry’s information, no it wouldn’t.

Doesn’t necessarily mean it can’t be the worst season ever - based on a more subjective angle.

Robinson’s and Slade’s seasons came under the challenges of a Roland ownership, where expectations were lowered accordingly (even though what was delivered on the pitch was still bad).

This season was approached with optimism off the back of the most positive looking takeover we’d had in a long time. A real feeling we could go to the next level. Not to mention the added excitement of having fans back after a long enforced absence. Those finer points certainly add a bit more to the glum underwhelming than those prior mid table finishes IMO.

Those similar seasons also didn’t see us spend a great deal of time (if any) in a potential relegation scrap, like we looked like we could have been in during the first half of this one.
  • Options
    Read this all wrong.

Was gonna say Mark Fish for the first goal at Sunderland. I remember Chris Kamara describing it on Soccer Saturday ...."it was a crap shot from Mark Fish, off the side of his shin, off about 4 defenders, and in!"
    That's what I thought when I opened the thread. Expected to see an Omar Bogle/Mike Small falling over the ball & it hitting them on the arse as it trickles over the line. 

As for our finishing position. This is far worse than anything in our history. You can't compare it to 90 odd years ago. Did they have millionaire owner  ??  
  • Options
    Read this all wrong.

That's Pele-esque compared to the one in the '70s against Oldham that missed the goal, hit the wall in front of The Covered End, bounced back on the pitch and the ref gave a goal.
  • Options
    12th, 13th, 14th. Regardless of where we finish and it’s the worst possible season in nearly 50 years.

It’s still an awful season. Staying up with 4 games to go when we told by the owner we would blow this league away is not acceptable. 

Best to keep shut about the predictions next season and see what happens 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Read this all wrong.

That's Pele-esque compared to the one in the '70s against Oldham that missed the goal, hit the wall in front of The Covered End, bounced back on the pitch and the ref gave a goal.
    Covered End? I thought I remembered that happening at the other end.
    Admittedly my memory is fading these days.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Read this all wrong.

That's what I thought when I opened the thread. Expected to see an Omar Bogle/Mike Small falling over the ball & it hitting them on the arse as it trickles over the line. 

As for our finishing position. This is far worse than anything in our history. You can't compare it to 90 odd years ago. Did they have millionaire owner  ??  
    Golfie in not bothering to read something before going on a rant shock.

PS Kevin Cash was said to be worth £400m and Duchachatelat £1600m
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    12th, 13th, 14th. Regardless of where we finish and it’s the worst possible season in nearly 50 years.

It’s still an awful season. Staying up with 4 games to go when we told by the owner we would blow this league away is not acceptable. 

12th wouldn't be the worst in nearly 50 years as we have finished 13th  twice this century.

No one has said it is acceptable.

"Under promise, over deliver" should have been the motto. Instead we got the opposite but the numbers are the numbers.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    thenewbie said:
    Fuck me, why do members of this forum constantly have to defend themselves from petty minded people. I did not necessarily mean this particular thread. I am sorry I really must attempt to articulate myself to 100% detail in future. Rather than upset you…..  As it really pains me to have you think I’m wrong. LIKE I GIVE A SHIT.. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

12th wouldn't be the worst in nearly 50 years as we have finished 13th  twice this century.

No one has said it is acceptable.

"Under promise, over deliver" should have been the motto. Instead we got the opposite but the numbers are the numbers.
    Baffling rewriting of history by some just so it can suit their narrative that in fact this season is definitely the worst no matter what numbers you present. 

Going into both of those seasons, the aim was clearly to get promoted. I don’t remember anyone at either point in time being content with being a middling third tier club because of the ownership - it was just as big an underachievement then as it has been this season.

The positive as you point out is that both times we have turned the corner quickly, and we can do it again.

Should Thomas have kept his mouth shut last summer? Yes he probably should have and I hope the lesson has been learned. But as you say, the numbers are the numbers.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Fuck me, why do members of this forum constantly have to defend themselves from petty minded people. I did not necessarily mean this particular thread. I am sorry I really must attempt to articulate myself to 100% detail in future. Rather than upset you…..  As it really pains me to have you think I’m wrong. LIKE I GIVE A SHIT.. 
    You OK, hun?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
     I mean... It seems like you might give a shit.

With regards to whether you need to clarify the difference between speaking generally and responding to a specific thread, I would ask if you're responding on this thread, why would anyone assume you weren't referring to this thread it's topic and content?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    thenewbie said:
     I mean... It seems like you might give a shit.

With regards to whether you need to clarify the difference between speaking generally and responding to a specific thread, I would ask if you're responding on this thread, why would anyone assume you weren't referring to this thread it's topic and content?
    Because the general discussion of how this season has panned out is common subject matter across numerous threads. Wether they be pre match / post match recruitment or whatever where team matters are discussed,  now if I popped up with a joke or some financial advice or recommending a restaurant. Then I would obviously confine my comments totally to subject matter of that 100% contained on that thread.  

I was unaware of the new rules where only 100% subject matter related directly to the thread, and comments within that thread are allowed.

However, now I know the new rules, I will make sure I take every opportunity to satisfy and fulfil my holier than thou Bank, and attempt to critic wherever I see this new rule being broken.

• Options
    When Adkins got his marching orders we were 22nd with 9 points from 13 games. We’d had 2 wins and 8 defeats. We were already 4 points off safety. Doncaster were bottom on 7 points with 2 wins and 9 defeats.

We are now 15th with 53 points from 42 games, 15 wins and 19 defeats. That means JJ has achieved 44 points from 29 games, winning 13 and losing 11.

Meanwhile Doncaster are 23rd on 33 points with 9 wins and 27 defeats. 7 wins and 18 defeats (26 points) since October.

Makes you realise what could have happened. We were undone by a terrible start under Adkins. And, in his first managerial role, I’d say JJ has done well. The question is, can he do better and what difference might it make getting his own players in?