Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Morecombe | Good Friday - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Morecambe
Good Friday - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Marc Edwards

Introduction
If I was to ask Alexa or any other damned voice powered AI, for an example as to why this season has been so damned frustrating, I imagine I'll get told the last three Charlton score lines - How the hell can we go from obtaining a single point against two teams below us in the table, to putting in a defensive performance where we despatch a promotion challenger, almost with ease!!. We welcome Morecambe to the Valley for the first time this Saturday.

The Opposition
Name: Morecambe (19th) | Manager: Derek Adams
Ground: Globe Arena
Previous Meeting: Morecambe 2-2 Charlton Athletic

It was a dark November evening a few months ago when these two sides last (and first) met... Like most games this season, we looked comfortable to begin with, before showing our charitable side once again, allowing Morecambe to come back from 2-0 down, and secure what could be an extremely valuable point once the season is done and the totting up begins.

Derek Adams side were without doubt favourites for relegation the moment they won their Play-Off Final against Newport County last summer. Those odds were surely lessened when Adams chose to stay in League Two (joining Bradford City); Stephen Robinson was the man chosen as his replacement, coming South of the Border from Motherwell. Yet after a splendid job at the Morecambe helm, decided in return to Scotland with St. Mirren in February, leaving his side in the relegation zone, those relegation odds surely shortened even further.

Yet Derek Adams (also sacked by Bradford in February) has to Morecambe, and has set about keeping his old side in the Division he did so well to promote them to. Two victories in the last three have lifted them into 19th (albeit on Goal Difference). Goals of course are no problem for this side, they've scored four more than the Addicks, and Cole Stockton is well known at this level now, yet could still be a one season wonder... Keeping goals out has been the problem, and Morecambe travel to SE7 with the worst defence in the League.

Charlton Team News
Of course that Morecambe defence wont have been helped by the loss of their skipper; Sam Lavelle transferred to SE7 on the last day of the August Transfer Window, and could yet be the difference between Morecambe's hopes of survival - The defender though will once again miss out on facing his old club, having missed the original fixture. With the Addicks safe in League One for another campaign, Sam will surely be hoping that his old survive so he can see old friends again next term.

Elsewhere and Albie Morgan made a surprising return to the team that faced Rotherham, he notched yet another assist in that game so could keep his place in the side - Scott Fraser and Elliott Lee could return to take his spot though, after missing the trip North with slight knocks. Whilst Nile John will be hoping for at least one appearance before returning to North London.

Youngsters: Miles Leaburn and Nazir Bakrin travelled to the New York Stadium, yet neither were rewarded with a place on the bench on Saturday - Again that could all change, what with our league status for 2022/23 now confirmed.

MacGillivray
Clare - Pearce - Famewo
Matthews - Dobson - Gilbey - Blackett-Taylor
Forster-Caskey
Stockley - Washington

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Purrington - Bakrin - Fraser - Jaiyesimi - Leaburn - Morgan

Prediction
There is surely little point in playing loan players now, with Johnnie Jackson now able to look beyond this season, and hopefully evaluate some of the potential youngsters coming through - Morecambe on the other hand will be desperate for three points, yet travel to the Capital with just two wins and four draws on the road all season.

My Alexa just self destructed when I asked for an actual Charlton prediction.

Comments

• Options
    Shame on you for adding an extra e into Morcombe
  • Options
    Light bulb moment. 
    Solution to recruitment is 'ask Alexa'!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    2-0 win (Purrington over Famewo. Think we will see JFC and Aneke on the bench)

Hoping other results go Morecambe way as really hoping they stay up this season.
  • Options
    we haven't given anyone a proper going over yet this season (4-0 against Doncaster in October is the best in the league), do i reckon Friday is the day.

6-0 Charlton 
    Stockley
    Washington x3
    B-T 
    Clare
  • Options
    This is tougher game then last week .. because Morecombe are not going to play open football against us  .. 451 overcrowd our 3 in mid stop us playing through which will result in more long balls  … they will rely on break away and if we don’t score first and hopefully early it could be frustrating afternoon with 0-1 scoreline … hopefully not but we seen it time and time again in football 
  • Options
    JFC for Morgan only change 
  • Options
    This'll be the last game I see all season, so I'm hoping for...I don't really know tbh. I'm hoping for another great preview from that Morecambe blog. Where is it again...
  • Options
    Not up yet. Gerronwivit!

https://shrimpsonline.co.uk/
  • Options
    Where’s jfc?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where’s jfc?
    Forgot about him, have updated my team to add instead of Morgan in the starting eleven
  • Options
    Why drop Morgan and not fucking Gilbey? I know it's because that's what JJ is going to do but fuck it, we can dream right?
  • Options
    3-0 to the Addicks....
  • Options
    we haven't given anyone a proper going over yet this season (4-0 against Doncaster in October is the best in the league), do i reckon Friday is the day.

6-0 Charlton 
    Stockley
    Washington x3
    B-T 
    Clare
    How anyone can be this optimistic at this point of the season is amazing to me. We'll win, but it's going to be a real effort to watch.
  • Options
    Very excited. 
  • Options
    Only two home games left including this one so expect Charlton to totally turn on the style and batter one of them to the extent that we end the season with a feel good factor and wonder what all the fuss has been about. 6-0
  • Options
    They are one goal difference away from the relegation zone and will be scrapping away for the rest of the season, so expect a tough game .. our form is decent albeit still inconsistent so we should win this, but I won't be putting any money on it
    Be good to see the man in the shop window, the sensation from Merseyside, Cole Stockton
  • Options
    6-0 to Charlton, who cares really hopefully its a good game and a few goals for those going! 

COYR
  • Options
    You deserve a medal FA For continuing to have the enthusiasm to do a preview at this time of the season. 
    I shall be going to this game and also Ipswich away last game. 
    But in all honesty I'm only going so I can have a few beers with my mates until I see them next season. 
    As for the Morecambe game I don't see the point in playing any players who will not be here next season. 
    I reckon we will ground out another win though. 

2 1 Charlton 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Who'll stick around for the traditional lap of honour after the match?

Edit: just realised this isn't the last home match of the season. Sigh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ^So much this
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    If that happens I'm gonna break something!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    If that happens I'm gonna break something!
    Don't bother. I've already broken it mate. 
  • Options
    Morecambe.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    More cum or More comb
  • Options
    edited April 2022
  • Options
    Ref watch 

Sorry to say we had bad issue with Marc Edwards who takes charge this Friday … you may remember last season game at Lincoln when they scored from clear offside goal …this is the report 

A controversial goal on the stroke of half-time put Lincoln City in pole position to secure a 2-0 win in the first game of the Thomas Sandgaard era.

Ben Amos brilliantly saved a Jorge Grant penalty but a shot from the rebound came back to the winger who tapped home from a clearly offside position. Despite some delay from referee Marc Edwards and some protesting from the Charlton bench the goal was eventually given.
  • Options
    Ref watch 

Sorry to say we had bad issue with Marc Edwards who takes charge this Friday … you may remember last season game at Lincoln when they scored from clear offside goal …this is the report 

A controversial goal on the stroke of half-time put Lincoln City in pole position to secure a 2-0 win in the first game of the Thomas Sandgaard era.

Ben Amos brilliantly saved a Jorge Grant penalty but a shot from the rebound came back to the winger who tapped home from a clearly offside position. Despite some delay from referee Marc Edwards and some protesting from the Charlton bench the goal was eventually given.
    Maybe he had an off day. Worrying about the ref every game is unhealthy 
  • Options
    Not sure we will get anything from this. Playing a relegation threatened side fighting for survival. We do so much better against the stronger recognised clubs (see last 3 results), so, not convinced we can turn it on when the "challenge" is less attractive.
    Hope I am wrong.