Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Will we ever see the like again?
  • Options
    Happy birthday to Mrs Powell!
  • Options
    Such a shame that we didn't back up that 'small step forward'.  A likeable manager, a promising team that we never built upon.
  • Options
    Was reflecting on it earlier. A long day but worth it. A close game with BWP coming up with the winner.

Pretty sure sky sports news showed Seb doing the worm on the hill outside the ground.

What a shit 10 years since.
  • Options
    A real shame that team didn't have any financial backing. We had a great spine there that could have competed in the upper half of the Championship.
  • Options
    Planned to go, had the tickets but @LargeAddick convinced me not to go (we would have shared the driving duties) as he said Sheff Wed wouldn't lose. Golfie Jnr was most upset & held a grudge until he saw us get Promoted at Wembley. 
  • Options
    Proper Charlton know we nearly always get promoted at Carlisle and I was there. 
  • Options
    A momentous day and like many the third time I have seen us promoted there. I remember them battering us for the first hour, with Jordan Cook impressing for them. Even though Wednesday were on an unbelievable run, I just had this feeling we would get promoted that day as it was at Carlisle. We only had 3-4 minutes of pressure, but that culminated in the goal.

Just knew Wednesday would not get the winner at Colchester. Then read the next day that they had a last minute winner incorrectly ruled offside. It was truly meant to be.
  • Options
    I am another who saw us promoted three times at Brunton Park. Ironically my only other visit there was a 4-1 defeat so I have seen both sides score an equal amount of goals.

I particularly remember getting hammered that day @Rock Spectacle and two legends who are no longer with us Peter Leaver and Captain. Their memory will always live on for me through this epic day. 
  • Options
    Went up on my own on the coach from Charlton, which left at something ridiculous like 6.30am.

Couldn’t convince my Dad or anyone else to join as they were hedging their bets on the promotion coming the following weekend.

It was a 7 hour journey each way, but it was worth every moment. I think we only had about 800 or so fans making the trip, which made it extra special to be there.

By far the best Charlton side we’ve had since leaving the Premier League. It’s not even close IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    An excellent squad of players.

The coaching and work that enabled them to gel together was outstanding.

A proper team
  • Options
    Owners of Charlton quite often seem to be very good at ruining things.

Would be nice if we maybe employ a CEO soon that at least has a business master's degree, relevant experience and genuine passion for the beautiful game, without feeling a modern day digital age need to get a Twitter account, try and be famous and do selfies etc.

"Just stay in the background, shut up and get on with the job that you love doing and you are good at" - would be a decent written welcome on his/her 1st day.

It will take some considerable amount of time to get a squad together that will be challenging for the top 3 spots in league one.

I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of that, but I'm just reminding you 
  • Options
    Brilliant recruitment too. The worst signing that summer was Alonso who clearly wasn't a Powell signing.

Powell decided on a formation and we built a squad that allowed us to develop partnerships all over the pitch. Best example is out wide - Jackson lacked pace so we signed two attacking left backs who were quick and liked to get forward.

We ended the 10/11 season with Fede Bessone playing left back. He did a decent job, we could have settled for him and looked to bring him back for 11/12. I'm concerned under TS we're closer to this way of thinking and we'll be offering new deals to Matthews, Pearce and Purrington. How many of those three stay should be a decent indicator of our budget and ambition in the summer window.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Brilliant recruitment too. The worst signing that summer was Alonso who clearly wasn't a Powell signing.

Powell decided on a formation and we built a squad that allowed us to develop partnerships all over the pitch. Best example is out wide - Jackson lacked pace so we signed two attacking left backs who were quick and liked to get forward.

We ended the 10/11 season with Fede Bessone playing left back. He did a decent job, we could have settled for him and looked to bring him back for 11/12. I'm concerned under TS we're closer to this way of thinking and we'll be offering new deals to Matthews, Pearce and Purrington. How many of those three stay should be a decent indicator of our budget and ambition in the summer window.
    Weirdly I was talking about recruitment the other day and I mentioned Bessone. He was decent, but we said "thanks but no thanks, and went out and got Wiggins. Who was fantastic. We've got to show the same sort of ambition this summer. I hope they realise that.