Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you enjoyed attending football more/less post COVID?

Firstly, this is not a question intended to ask anything about the football on the pitch itself. We all know that side of it has been by and large an absolute disaster.

How do you feel about being back at football on a weekly / bi weekly basis post lockdown, if that is what you are doing? 

I’ve been thinking about it more lately, as we’ve seen the crowds drop off throughout the season. 

At the risk of sounding controversial - I’ve actually got a lot of fond memories of this season. Having the ritual back of seeing friends, travelling around the country, spending time with my Dad etc is something that hasn’t felt spoiled at all by the lack of quality football.

Personally, I think there’s still an element of me that remembers how miserable it was having to watch all games on a stream during lockdown. Back then I’d have given an arm and a leg to watch us lose to Morecambe if it meant I could do it in person and have a day out of it. I certainly won’t ever take it for granted ever again.

But as the results continue to disappoint, it feels as though the match going tendencies for a section of fans will change. The comments around whether to renew/not renew next season are an indication of that.

So what has the experience been for you, being back in grounds on a regular basis? (Football aside!)

Has it been as enjoyable as you’d envisioned? Has it encouraged you to go to more games than usual, or less?

Comments

• Options
    Definitely less, felt like a chore attending this season. I can't really identify with anyone associated with the club 
  • Options
    Why the concern? 
  • Options
    Nothing better than being in the flesh air watching a game of football once again and having a few beers before and after. Don’t get that watching a stream as we did during lockdown. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Was great being back for the Sheffield Wednesday game, but really struggled with this season as a whole, and thats without looking at the performances - Lockdown meant that I could login @ 3pm, watch the game and there would be no pissing about with trying to get home.

The works on the A2, which should be over before the new season, and the ULEZ zone havent helped either.

For the first time, there have been a few occasions (mostly midweek) where I've decided to sack off attending the game and have stayed at home to watch it instead - Those decisions havent been helped by minor reasons, but they're the sort of reasons that wouldnt have stopped me from attending in person prior to lockdown.
  • Options
    Impossible to answer, because you can't divorce the utter shit show on the pitch, from the level of enjoyment in the rest of the day.
    You can of you drink enough beer
  • Options

Am gutted season is over soon.
    Said the only Charlton fan.  :D
  • Options
    For the away matches I have enjoyed them more. Treated it as a reset for all grounds. Normally didn’t bother going back to some northern grounds if I’ve been before but decided to scrap that after covid and start again with the grounds. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I enjoyed u little during the early lockdown, all those replays of the games from 90s - no stress over the result, avoid defeats, lovely bit of nostalgia....

Although I was still gutted England lost the Semi in Euro 96.
  • Options
    More.  I tend to appreciate everything much more since Covid particularly having experienced losing freedom as we did to do even the most basic of things such as popping outside to the shops.

Really enjoy going to the Valley and appreciate it more than ever these days despite the actual football/ results more often than not leaving a lot to be desired.

Am gutted season is over soon and that no world cup this summer but looking forward to next season and will be renewing season ticket for another 10 months of false hope and disappointment.
    I’m finding myself in the same mindset. Going to more games than ever before (including taking England games and the World Cup, which I wouldn’t have done before). 
  • Options
    More. So much more.

For me, the inability to go The Valley was one of the worst things about lockdown. As a result, I treated myself to a season ticket for the first time in years, because win/lose/draw, being there brings me joy.

I (try to) divorce the result from the day. Of course it hurts when we've had a crap season, but I'm infinitely more grateful for being able to actually be there.
  • Options
    less .. mostly because our playing standards have dropped so far .. the win at Doncaster despite the relief of getting the three points, was one of the worst games I've seen over the past 10 years or so, and there has been a lot of competition for that slot .. 
    Also, for my part, the football watching habit has been partly cured, if yer no wot i meen .. lastly, when I go to an away game, I like to stay in the area  wherever the game's played to have a look round and relax away from home for a while .. since the post pandemic hotel re-openings the prices have gone through the roof, that allied to the price of petrol has curtailed my away days for this season .. Ipswich will be my first since Doncaster
  • Options
    Impossible to answer, because you can't divorce the utter shit show on the pitch, from the level of enjoyment in the rest of the day.
    If I could separate it out, (a tall order I know) it's been better. There have been times when it's felt really good to be able to shout at opposition wind-up merchants and unfit/partial/useless officials. In fact that's been a lot better than some of the football ...

I have fairly low expectations, I know we're rubbish at the moment and miles behind the Spanners and the Divers, but I enjoy being in the ground with my daughter and I enjoy going to the River Ale House after when we can. 
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    'Although I was still gutted England lost the Semi in Euro 96.'

Jesus, spoilers mate.
    You say that, but I almost thought Gazza was going to reach that tap-in.

(Should have done too  :D)
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Not as much as I thought I would but last time we were able to attend regularly, we were in The Championship and the whole thing was just so much more watchable/engrossing. 

I've also watched a lot on non-league football this season and that hasn't been especially good either but that might be because my non-league team (Hendon) have had a similarly poor season to Charlton. 

I'm on 51 games watched this season (including three in Hamburg) so I have made the most of being able to go. 
  • Options
    As some have already indicated, there are two different things going on here.
    Yes, I have enjoyed the ‘fact’ that live football is back on the agenda.
    But bitterly disappointed that for the most part the experience has been spoiled for us Charlton fans by some really shyte performances.
  • Options
    Good question, Tom. For me I've enjoyed it way more than pre Covid. Having the choice of attending or not taken away from me was a real pain. 

I've missed swathes of seasons before but that was when it was my own choice to step away. I've been to over 20 games this season which must be my first such season since 2011/12.  It's been great socially before the game to meet up with family and friends. The tripe on the pitch has bothered me way less than it would have done had Covid not appeared.

I won't forget how gutting it was during lockdowns to work all week and not have football to go to on Saturday. I'm grateful I'm now able to attend as and when I want and I'd imagine that gratitude will last for some time to come. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obviously living abroad changes the picture for me, but loved going to the FA cup game vs Norwich over Xmas.

Generally speaking, I absolutely love watching football with massive crowds. Watching games with that fake noise was unbelievably shit.
  • Options
    It’s a tricky one - I did miss it during Covid, and couldn’t wait to get back, but I just see it as a chore now. If it wasn’t for my boys wanting to go, I honestly don’t think I’d go and would just watch on Charlton TV.  Some of it is to do with the shit show we have become of course. But (my boys aside) I can think of 3 or 4 others things I would rather be doing.
  • Options
    I haven't been to The Valley since Oct 2019.  Covid and lockdowns have driven a big reset in my life priorities and watching Charlton has fallen a long way.  I don't live particularly near the stadium but doubt it makes much difference.  

Watching the stream is a reasonable alternative when we start making progress on the pitch again and I like the fact it takes up two hours of my time instead of six if I attended.
  • Options
    Work has changed, I get less chance to go these days but I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would.  It definitely is a habit.

Saturday I am going with my two daughters which could help me to find the reason to want to go more.  I think the general apathy is following on from the disconnect of the Roland years, followed by the pandemic and exacerbated by our continued malaise.
  • Options
    I don't think covid impacted my enjoyment as much as being a boycotter did. When covid came along, the streams seemed like an increase in engagement for me. 

The extent to which I'm happy with the match day experience is largely dependent on how we perform. I already meet with the people I see at Charlton and I don't need a football match as an excuse for a beer - in fact it makes me less likely to have one as there's the question of how I get home. It's great seeing us win in the flesh, but too often that doesn't happen. If we're going to lose, I'd rather watch it on the stream. At least then I don't have to suffer a long journey home.

The main thing I learnt though boycotting is that there are forms of entertainment that aren't so heavily dependent on the outcome. Last Saturday morning I went out birdwatching. At lunchtime I had to hurry home so I could get to football. If I didn't have a season ticket, I probably wouldn't have bothered. With hindsight I wish I hadn't. My message to those running the club is that performances and results have to get better. Otherwise there is a very real risk that I won't be around much.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I don't think covid impacted my enjoyment as much as being a boycotter did. When covid came along, the streams seemed like an increase in engagement for me. 

The extent to which I'm happy with the match day experience is largely dependent on how we perform. I already meet with the people I see at Charlton and I don't need a football match as an excuse for a beer - in fact it makes me less likely to have one as there's the question of how I get home. It's great seeing us win in the flesh, but too often that doesn't happen. If we're going to lose, I'd rather watch it on the stream. At least then I don't have to suffer a long journey home.

The main thing I learnt though boycotting is that there are forms of entertainment that aren't so heavily dependent on the outcome. Last Saturday morning I went out birdwatching. At lunchtime I had to hurry home so I could get to football. If I didn't have a season ticket, I probably wouldn't have bothered. With hindsight I wish I hadn't. My message to those running the club is that performances and results have to get better. Otherwise there is a very real risk that I won't be around much.
    I enjoy being a peeping Tom as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Working from home makes a huge difference as raring to get out the house on a Saturday. Compared to doing the 9-5 and the long commute which goes with it. 
  • Options
    Leaving aside the football (we were in the Championship before lockdown...), overall I think my level of enjoyment of "live football" is roughly the same. 
  • Options
    How long was the non-attendance? 

Might just be me but looking back now it just felt like a couple of months and nothing more impacting than a normal close season.

while the football has been disappointing this season I’ve started more frequently going for a drink with one of my kids before a game and my dad has come a few games, so I’ve enjoyed certain non-football aspects more. My kids have also been mascots this season and that day was probably one of my most enjoyable ever at The Valley, so I’ve quite a few positives to take away from this season.