Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Insurance Question

I am driving to Italy in May for a 7 week family holiday. I have driven for short breaks abroad and when I have notified my Insurance company they have said it is fine, but I expect because of the much longer duration I may have to pay extra. Just wondering if anybody has an idea what a reasonable extra would be and whether it is best to get it from another party so I go into the conversation with them better informed. I haven't done a trip of this length before so don't really know. 

Comments

• Options
    I've no idea what would be reasonable, but I'd expect it pays to shop around. Insurance companies can be bloody funny. When my son had his car stolen recently we were quoted more to put him on our insurance just until the end of the month than four months to the end of the current policy. Madness. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    That is why I asked the question. I phoned around for my son's car insurance and was getting amounts quoted that the person on the on the phone was embaressed by, then went onto compare the market and got a massively lower price than any of the quotes. I mean ridiculously lower. It just took away some of the trust or maybe more accurately an understanding on how it all works. My insurance isn't due to be renewed until August but I have found speaking to people isn't always the best way. Information is my best friend here. Whatever it costs, nobody wants to be ripped off.
  • Options
    I’m with LV and we have up to 180 days a year European cover included in our motor policy. I take my old people carrier over every year and leave at the house in Spain between the spring and autumn. Not sure exactly how much extra it costs but my total cost for the policy is only about £250. Might be worth talking to them. 
  • Options
    I’ve worked in car insurance for the past 6 years. You should always shop around, even better if you get quotes from multiple comparison sites. They can have deals with insurers so you won’t necessarily get the same price from the same insurer on each comparison site. You should also get a cheaper price if you get your quotes early too, about a month before renewal.
  • Options
    Check what your policy documents say. European travel is included in mine which is with Elephant. 90 days included with their standard product. (Elephant is a trading name of the Admiral Group).
    Cheap as chips.
  • Options
    That is why I asked the question. I phoned around for my son's car insurance and was getting amounts quoted that the person on the on the phone was embaressed by, then went onto compare the market and got a massively lower price than any of the quotes. I mean ridiculously lower. It just took away some of the trust or maybe more accurately an understanding on how it all works. My insurance isn't due to be renewed until August but I have found speaking to people isn't always the best way. Information is my best friend here. Whatever it costs, nobody wants to be ripped off.
    From the beginning of this year, price walking has been banned. Insurance companies are no longer allowed to rip off loyal customers. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/dec/30/landmark-uk-insurance-shakeup-poised-to-benefit-loyal-customers

• Options
    Most insurers provide either 90 or 180 days cover in the policy, check that first as unless you went Mickey Mouse you'll likely be fine for 7 weeks.

Also check Italian rules as what you need to carry, if driving through other countries check those also (such as France and the breathalyser).

cafcfan said:
    From the beginning of this year, price walking has been banned. Insurance companies are no longer allowed to rip off loyal customers. https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/dec/30/landmark-uk-insurance-shakeup-poised-to-benefit-loyal-customers

Sadly not quite true, the vast majority have just lifted their new business rates.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Thanks for your responses, I will go through the rules. I have travelled abroad on the policy before a few times and they always said it was included so I suppose it will be down to how many days are actually included.

I have checked all that I need to take. Vests for every passenger, fire extinguisher, triangle etc... I have breatherlysers from earlier trips but I understand these are being phased out as a requirement. I have a clean air sticker for France. I need to get a 40 franc motorway sticker for Switzerland which lasts a year but I will only need for a day. I could have missed out Switzerland but my wife has never been! Also for anybody else doing similar, you can be fined if your sat nav alerts you to speed cameras. I need to switch that function off. Also the GB sticker is now a UK sticker!
  • Options
    Also, check home insurance - some seem to think that if you're out of the house for more than 30 consecutive days, it's an unoccupied property and want to charge differently for that...
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I have checked the policy and it says under the benefits of the policy that I have: 60 days European Union Cover as standard and we are going for 54 days. There is no other mention of it like you can only do in 30 day chunks etc... so I assume it will be ok. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have checked the policy and it says under the benefits of the policy that I have: 60 days European Union Cover as standard and we are going for 54 days. There is no other mention of it like you can only do in 30 day chunks etc... so I assume it will be ok. 
    I think TeslaGirl is referring to your home insurance, where empty for more than 30 days is classes as unoccupied and you may have to take certain precautions to maintain full cover (such as turning off water, inspected periodically etc)
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Yes, that isn't a problem as my son is going out with us then being joined by his girlfiend for a couple of weeks then returning by plane so will be occupying the house. A neighbour is going to keep an eye on things. I saw that some insurance companies may say you can have x days but only in 30 day at a time chunks, but there is no mention of this on my policy so it looks fine. I will speak to them anyway before I leave so thanks for the advice. I am with Budget Insurance.

In terms of turning things off. I was advised that for short breaks and day to day it is best to keep the boiler (electric) on as it costs more to heat it up again than keep it warm. I don't know how true that is but have assumed it is. But for a holiday this long I am going to turn everything off.

Resarch for it has made lockdown a bit easier and I have spent a lot of time on it. Did you know that the law in Switzerland is that you have your headlights and tail lights on all the time? Checking the insurance is the last thing I need to do which is a shame as I have enjoyed doing everything. 
  • Options
    Sorry, yes, meant home insurance, but glad it's not an issue.