Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What do we want? What do we need? What will we get?

2»

Comments

• Options
    We need one dominant, skilful and creative central/attacking midfielder. It is amazing how much everything else will click into place when we have that. Everything else is basically just noise (yeah okay maybe a goalscorer too). 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    In and around the first team I'd say something like:

GK
    New, MacGillivray, M.Brewer (to replace Henderson)

RWB
    Jaiyesimi, New

RCB
    Clare, Lavelle, Elerewe

CB
    New, New, Inniss

LCB
    New, Famewo, New

LWB
    B.Taylor, New

CDM
    Dobson, F.Caskey

CM
    Fraser, New, New, Morgan

CF
    Stockley, Washington, Aneke, New

(Loan Morgan, Kanu, Adigun, Leaburn, Henry out if they're not going to get many first team games)
    No LWB?
    good spot! 
  • Options

This team right here except swap CBT for DJ as I couldn’t find CBT on the site. 

Bench: AMB, Fraser, Purrington, Clare, JFC, Washington, Deji, Aneke, Gilbey, Morgan, Kirk. 

Obviously I wouldn’t be sure on the bench on match days but I am finding it hard to find space for Fraser, I think this team would walk the league tbh. We would certainly have the money for it, just depends on if we could beat the competition to any of those players, all frees bar Camara. 

Think we would struggle to sign most of these. No chance of us getting Wilson and same with Camara, would probably add Stockton to that as well even if they don’t get Championship moves we are far down the pecking order in terms of budget and promotion prospects in league 1.

Boyle/Tucker and maybe Cadden are more likely but again league 1 is going to have Ipswich, Derby and maybe still have both Sunderland and Sheff Weds. Realistically I think we could probably get one of Boyle/Tucker from that side. Also we need a left footed centre back and 3-5-2 is going to be the formation, if we’ve just spent 500k on Fraser we aren’t going to play anything different than a system that uses him 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Bench: AMB, Fraser, Purrington, Clare, JFC, Washington, Deji, Aneke, Gilbey, Morgan, Kirk. 

Obviously I wouldn’t be sure on the bench on match days but I am finding it hard to find space for Fraser, I think this team would walk the league tbh. We would certainly have the money for it, just depends on if we could beat the competition to any of those players, all frees bar Camara. 

Think we would struggle to sign most of these. No chance of us getting Wilson and same with Camara, would probably add Stockton to that as well even if they don’t get Championship moves we are far down the pecking order in terms of budget and promotion prospects in league 1.

Boyle/Tucker and maybe Cadden are more likely but again league 1 is going to have Ipswich, Derby and maybe still have both Sunderland and Sheff Weds. Realistically I think we could probably get one of Boyle/Tucker from that side. Also we need a left footed centre back and 3-5-2 is going to be the formation, if we’ve just spent 500k on Fraser we aren’t going to play anything different than a system that uses him 
    I assumed Boyle was left footed as he plays on the left of the back 3 for Cheltenham, imagine he would still be fine there if that’s where he plays. 

Agree we would struggle but you would like to think we could manage it, we have managed Ajose, Kirk, Taylor, Holmes and a few others in the past that were sought after league 1 players, so I’d like to think we could manage it again. Money talks and I believe if we offer the right money and guaranteed play time players who are on the up from league 1 and 2 would opt for us over a championship side where they aren’t guaranteed play maybe. 

I thought the same with Fraser but we loaned Kirk who we spent big money on and DJ is a bench option who was also a lot of money, I don’t think Fraser is being utilised correctly atm and I do worry we won’t see the best of him if we insist on this formation of 352/343. 
  • Options
    Boyle and Jack Iredale would give us good options at the back. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

I assumed Boyle was left footed as he plays on the left of the back 3 for Cheltenham, imagine he would still be fine there if that’s where he plays. 

Agree we would struggle but you would like to think we could manage it, we have managed Ajose, Kirk, Taylor, Holmes and a few others in the past that were sought after league 1 players, so I’d like to think we could manage it again. Money talks and I believe if we offer the right money and guaranteed play time players who are on the up from league 1 and 2 would opt for us over a championship side where they aren’t guaranteed play maybe. 

I thought the same with Fraser but we loaned Kirk who we spent big money on and DJ is a bench option who was also a lot of money, I don’t think Fraser is being utilised correctly atm and I do worry we won’t see the best of him if we insist on this formation of 352/343. 
    Difference with DJ/Kirk is they aren’t players that Jackson brought in. Fraser played LCM in a 3-5-2 for MK Dons. Ipswich playing other systems is why it didn’t work for him there I think. Too early to judge Fraser with covid/injury issues and that he’s playing in a pretty average team. Full pre-season and hopefully a better team and we will see the real Fraser. 

I think league 1 has a lot more teams willing to spend than anytime we’ve been in it previously. Before we’ve been one of maybe 2 or 3 teams with big budgets so could bring in those players. Now there could be 8 or even more teams with budgets similar or greater than ours that all finished above us this season. 
  • Options
    If the ambition is similar to the SCP 2011-12 approach we need to assemble a squad that is both capable of getting us out of this division and making a decent fist of the championship. In that case then we pretty much need rid of the entire squad. The likes of Stockley, Washington etc might with the appropriate midfield support have a chance at getting us up but they won’t cut the mustard in the championship. They’ve failed there before. 

More realistically, the aim will be to get us out of this league and then worry about what happens next. In that case, the above pair plus Dobbo, CBT, Clare, Lavelle, Deji, JFC, Aneke and Fraser gives us a basis for redevelopment of the squad over the summer. The rest can be cleared out. I’m not having Matthews anywhere near the place and dear Ben P can go with our thanks and good wishes. Albie can go on loan/be third choice and if we can get any money for the likes of Gilbey, Kirk etc then they can move on. The loans can all go. 

I worry about the goalkeeping position. I’m not a MacGillivray fan at all. Nor am I particularly convinced by what I have seen of AMB in Scotland. Whatever the case, AMB is not going to come back from loan to be second choice so he will either displace MacG or he will go. Unless we get a fee for MacG I suspect we are stuck with him. There is a scenario where both go and we either have to sign a keeper  or run with Harness. An unwanted distraction and potential diversion of funds that need to be spent elsewhere. 

I also worry about our “yoof”. Many are saying that there are half a dozen ready to step up. I don’t see it. Deji I think will have a full role to play next season but Barker’s flame has gone out, Dempsey, Clayden Henry and Co who are out on loan are doing relatively well but are they really ready for a full season of big boy footie?  Davison is doing well but we are aware of his limitations already. Kanu I’ve not seen but can he be any more ready for a step up than Burstow was?  I’d really love three or four to break in to the team and rip up the league but I wouldn’t be putting my house on it. 

We need to do significant business and do it quickly. We need about six proven healthy signings to go straight into the first team. We all know what positions need to be filled and others have set out the detail in previous posts. These players need to be signed by June and have a preseason to gel. Then we need three or four loans of the Cullen and Bielik calibre to give us options in every position. 

Do I think this will happen?  No of course not. We will renew three or four of the out of contract payers. We will faff about in the market and get a couple of marquee signings in august. We will be relying on the same old same old with a few of the kids. 

And to the coaching. Let me be clear. I would love love love love Jacko to “do an SCP”. But I worry. I worry about rigidity of tactics. I worry about the assembly of a distinctly lower league coaching and back up team. This is a very large overhaul and it needs a strong, serious and experienced team to pull it off. As I say, I’m right behind them but I worry. 

One last thing. Whatever else happens with transfers etc. even if we are left with the sort of squad that we would rather not have. Can we please please please pretty please just try to play some entertaining football instead of this turgid shyte. 

Over to you Thomas.  Good luck with it.  
    This
  • Options
    What do we want ? 
    A new manager 
    A new squad 
    New fans(!) 
    What will we get? 
    Jacko til  November.
    5 loannees and a free.
    The usual woke snowflakes who think the valley is a library and being extra sensitive to everyone's endless needs and doing it as quietly as possible is the sign of a REAL FAN ! 

(I think watching the 1940s  FACUP win on YouTube the other day seeing that enormous crowd of passionate (definitely not woke) Addicks has me hoping for a revival)..
    Boring. Take your “snowflake” and “woke” pejoratives and stick them where the sun don’t shine.  
  • Options
    What do we want ? 
    A new manager 
    A new squad 
    New fans(!) 
    What will we get? 
    Jacko til  November.
    5 loannees and a free.
    The usual woke snowflakes who think the valley is a library and being extra sensitive to everyone's endless needs and doing it as quietly as possible is the sign of a REAL FAN ! 

(I think watching the 1940s  FACUP win on YouTube the other day seeing that enormous crowd of passionate (definitely not woke) Addicks has me hoping for a revival)..
    Boring. Take your “snowflake” and “woke” pejoratives and stick them where the sun don’t shine.  
    The sun certainly doesn't shine where snowflakes are. Which is just as well really ...as they would melt. 
  • Options
    What do we want? Get the relegated Clarke-Harris in the door ASAP. 

What will we get? Davison back from Swindon! 
    You really think that Peterborough will sell us Clarke-Harris?
    If he wants to leave then ... Yes. Hes got them promoted. Didn't play too badly in the championship. Now they are down what more does he have to prove where they are concerned. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    What do we want ? 
    A new manager 
    A new squad 
    New fans(!) 
    What will we get? 
    Jacko til  November.
    5 loannees and a free.

Woke means anti racist.
    We need more woke.
    Aha! Not so fast virtue-signalman 

Let us suppose a lone white boy was set upon by six non-white boys (who all made it very clear they were beating him up because of his skin colour)  You would of course step in as you identify yourself as "woke" and define this as being "anti-racist". 

But of course you WOULDNT step in would you? Because "being woke" ISNT anti-racist. It's turning a blind eye  to the "wrong sort of racism"!!. That places you on very shaky ground morally.  The Rochdale and Rotherham Muslim grooming rape gangs were clearly racist. I am delighted as a woke person you will go all out to make sure this racism is eradicated from our society..

Ergo ~ woke DOESNT mean racist. And we certainly DONT want more woke.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    What do we want ? 
    A new manager 
    A new squad 
    New fans(!) 
    What will we get? 
    Jacko til  November.
    5 loannees and a free.

Woke means anti racist.
    We need more woke.

Let us suppose a lone white boy was set upon by six non-white boys (who all made it very clear they were beating him up because of his skin colour)  You would of course step in as you identify yourself as "woke" and define this as being "anti-racist". 

But of course you WOULDNT step in would you? Because "being woke" ISNT anti-racist. It's turning a blind eye  to the "wrong sort of racism"!!. That places you on very shaky ground morally.  The Rochdale and Rotherham Muslim grooming rape gangs were clearly racist. I am delighted as a woke person you will go all out to make sure this racism is eradicated from our society..

*Anti-racist 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    What do we want ? 
    A new manager 
    A new squad 
    New fans(!) 
    What will we get? 
    Jacko til  November.
    5 loannees and a free.

Woke means anti racist.
    We need more woke.

Very, very few people would step in to a six-against-one situation regardless of the colour of any of the protagonists.  Your stupid example just shows the paucity of your argument.

Ergo, you are a complete idiot and that's the end of the matter.
  • Options
    What do we want?  Maggie out!

When do we want it?  Actually, we got it about twenty years ago.
    Thirty years ago.  My maths isn't that bad, honest.
  • Options
    What do we want? Get the relegated Clarke-Harris in the door ASAP. 

What will we get? Davison back from Swindon! 
    You really think that Peterborough will sell us Clarke-Harris?
    If he wants to leave then ... Yes. Hes got them promoted. Didn't play too badly in the championship. Now they are down what more does he have to prove where they are concerned. 
    Clarke-Harris would cost millions and we all know how hard a negotiater Darragh is.

Sorry I see this one as a complete non-starter
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    What do we want ? 
    A new manager 
    A new squad 
    New fans(!) 
    What will we get? 
    Jacko til  November.
    5 loannees and a free.

Woke means anti racist.
    We need more woke.

I define woke as anti racist.
    You seem to define woke as anything you don’t like.
    The beauty of it is it is a matter of opinion for both of us, and I believe I am right.
    Woke means anti racist, we need more of it.
  • Options
    back to topic
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Stockton, two perm wing backs, box to box mid and two CB, all perm. 
    We will get two CB, maybe one will be Famewo if he is keen...One RWB, other one loan and a loan striker..
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    We need one dominant, skilful and creative central/attacking midfielder. It is amazing how much everything else will click into place when we have that. Everything else is basically just noise (yeah okay maybe a goalscorer too). 
    Ideally yes but honestly how many of those are likely to be available in league one? Even good midfielders at this level are good at one of those (Dobson = defensive dominance, Fraser = creativity) but being good at everything means a move to the Championship more often than not.

The closest to an all rounder we've got is JFC and that comes with the caveat of his injury record. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Leuth said:
    Ideally yes but honestly how many of those are likely to be available in league one? Even good midfielders at this level are good at one of those (Dobson = defensive dominance, Fraser = creativity) but being good at everything means a move to the Championship more often than not.

The closest to an all rounder we've got is JFC and that comes with the caveat of his injury record. 
    A poor man's Mark Kinsella would improve this team 20%. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The title reminded me of Brian Griffin's: Wish it. Want it. Do it!
  • Options
    A plan B would be a good start lol

I think we need to add to our squad in all areas unfortunately which is disappointing when we are on our 3rd window under the new ownership. The players I would like to keep are;

Lavelle
    Famewo    ( not had a great season but who has ? I cant see us getting much better )
    Dobson     ( I think he might be sold this window )

Fraser
    Gilbey       ( Yes I know but I think he comes good in the end lol )
    JFC           ( bit of a gamble him staying injury free but worth it I think )
    CBT           ( Another I think might be sold but hope not )

Washington

All the rest I would clear out, I like Stockley but hate the way we play when he is there so wouldnt mind much if he left. Excluding the youngsters such as Deji etc not one other I would lose sleep over losing

• Options
    oops missed Clare I would keep him too
  • Options
    For me a key characteristic is that we shop for hungry L1 & L2 players or young loans that all have some drive and want to advance there career.

What I don’t want to see is these Championship rejects or reserves that just don’t seem to care or have the drive… yes I’m looking at you Lee, Arter and Leko
  • Options
    I'm not sure it's fair what you say the mate regarding Lee. I dont think you can fault his effort he always seemed to put 100% in from what I saw. Sure he was frustrating as he always seemed to turn back into trouble and had little end product but effort wasnt for me one of his faults. Arter was just a weird signing anyone could see his legs had gone after 15 mins of watching him once that happens a player is done unless they are a real special talent. Leko again very strange seems like a totally different player from the one we had 1st time round. The comment from the lovely lady about it being a difficult last few months for him perhaps points towards some issues that we are not aware of who knows. My point is I honestly dont think players dont try it isnt in a sportsmans make up surely ? Just sometimes things dont work out. Look at Kirk when he played for us he looked so out of his depth it was staggering but he seems to be doing an ok job in the division higher