Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    Blimey that’s a genuine surprise. Although does go some way to explaining the contract situations…

Will never understand the complaints about the style of football. We are in League One. In League One it’s never been pretty. Under Powell, under Bowyer. Look at Wigan and Rotherham this season. Both played 3-5-2 with big lumps at either end of the pitch.

If we want to take the MK Dons route here, it’s going to be a long old road and many years of getting it wrong before it all clicks. No doubt it’s probably the better choice in the long term but it’s risky.
    For me personally I can't say I agree with this. Rothertham for instance are very direct, but I wouldn't say they were not pretty to watch - they don't just lump it up to Smith in hope he gets a knock down to another forward player. The often moved the ball very quickly through the thirds, and if not possible, the direct ball up to Smith was played with a lot more quality than just hit and hope, and normally found him moving into a channel where he could bring it down and play other runners overlapping him into play quickly.

We never had that. Our long balls were usually to Stockley who would drop a little deeper, in the centre of the pitch, and basically head it to no one - or get the ball out to the wings and try and get a cross in. It was horrible to watch, and often left us getting turned over easily with players out of position.
    I will respond to that with three words: Famewo, Gilbey and Stockley.

We can’t play accurate long balls up to the striker when Famewo hoofs it.

We can’t play quickly through the thirds when Gilbey has the worst first touch and pass that I’ve seen in a Charlton shirt for a while.

We can’t have Stockley bring it down intelligently and bring others into play around him for a couple of reasons… 1. he isn’t very good at it 2. it’s usually only Washington that’s anywhere near supporting him.
    I absolutely agree with this, which funny enough, exactly disproves your first point about you not getting why people are complaining about our style of football.

You have given the exact reason why our football has been terrible, and argued why a team like Rotherham, though direct, actually play good effective football. 
    Sure I agree with you. Direct and effective football is a good thing. That’s what Jackson was trying to implement but couldn’t due to the lack of quality in the squad.

I get the feeling fans are over egging their criticism of past managers as if style of football is most important to them. I know for a fact we could play hoof ball all season next year and as long as we won the league, you wouldn’t hear a peep.

At the end of the day, fans just want to see their team win and will gloss over the style if points are being put on the board.
    Yeah I totally agree with this. Though I would probably say, especially with the progress being made lower down the leagues, that you couldn't play terrible hoof style football and win the league. I feel, all though leagues apart from the technical ability seen in the premiership, many teams in the lower leagues (look at Gateshead, and Sutton for instance) actually can play good possession style football.

• Options
    glad I had decided not to bother renewing for next season 

can see another summer of shit loans and journeymen. 

my tuppence worth is sandgard massively underestimated what was involved when taking over at the club 
    Fair enough on holding out on the ticket,but why?, and why? on the other two statements, surely we wait and see what he does next?.
  • Options
    Only just read that Jacko was informed of this decision by PHONE yesterday afternoon.

What does that tell you about our owner ?

RESPECT clearly doesn't appear in the American version of the English dictionary.

Everyone has their opinion about the sacking but how can anyone condone the manner in which TS conducted this piece of "business"?  
    where have you read this, regarding a phone call?
  • Options
    Have been hard at it since 7am - just seen this - p*ssed off!
  • Options
    Surprised but i can’t honestly say if im upset or
    not. Big appointment upcoming for Tommy
  • Options

Asked if he would appoint a head coach or manager next time, Sandgaard said: “Obviously the coach is very important. If we can find someone that is a really good coach and can help drive more intensity into the training and drive the right mentality into the players – and a playing style that might not be as stiff , a bit more fluid than what we have right now; maybe be better how we press and formation flexibility etc.

“We need someone who is a good man-manager and good at keeping the dressing room under control, which was not Johnnie’s problem at all.

“Some people are good coaches and some people are good managers. Ideally we find a combination of people or one person who can give us all those qualities.”

First paragraph seems like a very succinct way of explaining why Jackson got the boot. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was a real show of bollocks by TS and real statement of intent … clear he just did not have total faith in JJ and was not scared to make the tough call .. TS wants success and JJ was not the man to bring it … 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    Only just read that Jacko was informed of this decision by PHONE yesterday afternoon.

What does that tell you about our owner ?

RESPECT clearly doesn't appear in the American version of the English dictionary.

Everyone has their opinion about the sacking but how can anyone condone the manner in which TS conducted this piece of "business"?  
    where have you read this, regarding a phone call?
    It's a direct quote from Rich Cawley.
  • Options
    Warburton

beale - villa

edwards - FGR

Taylor - exeter

duff - cheltenham

deffo names i would hope we would be looking at and interviewing 

I dont want deffo after he left us as a teenager.......sorry everyone
    At least he wouldn’t be able to hear the abuse shouted at him if he did bad!!😬
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Personally I hope we move away from the Charlton connected manager once and for all
    Why? The best years we’ve had in the last 3 decades have been under managers with previous connections to the club.
  • Options
    do i see JJ taking us up the championship and keeping us there - NO

but then i called the bad recruitment during the summer and was ridiculed for it. 

was a awful season with players i really do not like seeing in charlton shirts - lazy and shit 
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Don't I entirely agree with him being told over the phone If I am honest. I think he deserved a little more than that after 12 years.
    Does seem a bit harsh but he flew back to the States after the POTY dinner. At least he spoke to him and didn't email!
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    The thing that does me is all this week has been going on about recruitment, surely would be recruiting for players to play the system that Jacko wants to play? And they would have drawn up a list of players, now with sacking, surely that’s all out of the window and we start again, and now we are on the bank foot with recruitment?? As I said I agree with Jacko going, but it questions the way the club is being run, do the playing side have any say in the recruitment? 
    TS has got to get this correct now, if not he is just as bad as the previous owners in my opinion
    Unless Thomas knew Jackson was going as we sat in 13th + below for the final month, so told the recruitment team to search for players for a certain style of play he wants for next season. 
  • Options
    I am another that has been impressed by the way Cheltenham have been managed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Asked if he would appoint a head coach or manager next time, Sandgaard said: “Obviously the coach is very important. If we can find someone that is a really good coach and can help drive more intensity into the training and drive the right mentality into the players – and a playing style that might not be as stiff , a bit more fluid than what we have right now; maybe be better how we press and formation flexibility etc.

“We need someone who is a good man-manager and good at keeping the dressing room under control, which was not Johnnie’s problem at all.

“Some people are good coaches and some people are good managers. Ideally we find a combination of people or one person who can give us all those qualities.”

First paragraph seems like a very succinct way of explaining why Jackson got the boot. 

I can't say I disagree, and it is exactly what I have been saying for weeks now, and is what I want to see moving forwards. But it is so so so so much easier said than done. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    ButtleJR said:

“I obviously did not interfere with team selections for the games but I’m very convinced that more pressing high up on the pitch would give us a higher probability of getting promoted,” the Dane continued.

Quotes like this form TS are coming more and more concerning. Who is advising of this, his son the guru of football? I would understand if it this was coming from a director of football or technical director who has football experience.

Completely agree with him though.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    The thing that does me is all this week has been going on about recruitment, surely would be recruiting for players to play the system that Jacko wants to play? And they would have drawn up a list of players, now with sacking, surely that’s all out of the window and we start again, and now we are on the bank foot with recruitment?? As I said I agree with Jacko going, but it questions the way the club is being run, do the playing side have any say in the recruitment? 
    TS has got to get this correct now, if not he is just as bad as the previous owners in my opinion
    Or TS and son are recruiting players that the magical algorithm tells them to.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:

“I obviously did not interfere with team selections for the games but I’m very convinced that more pressing high up on the pitch would give us a higher probability of getting promoted,” the Dane continued.

Quotes like this form TS are coming more and more concerning. Who is advising of this, his son the guru of football? I would understand if it this was coming from a director of football or technical director who has football experience.

I am starting to get uneasy with how this is starting to play out. TS is well intended but I fear he is so confident in his own ability and stubborn to change.

Gotta say though...When Jackson took over on a caretaker basis, our pressing was brilliant and helped us beat teams like Ipswich and Plymouth. 

Then for whatever reason...it just stopped. 
    Done OK against Rotherham as well.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic can confirm the departure of First-Team Coach Terry Skiverton. The club would like to thank Terry for his hard work and dedication during his time at the club and wish him the very best for the future.

• Options
    Must be a sad day for Jackson after 12 years of very faithful service at the Club.

Difficult season for the club, and I understand why TS might want a total clear out.
  • Options
    Feel sorry for JJ would have liked to see him given next season. 

However i can also agree with TS and his criticism of JJ's shortcomings in the Standard.