Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• cfgs said:
    Shocked, I know a lot thought he should go but how many thought he would?
    I thought he out to go, I hoped he would go. I still have utmost respect for him as a person, I’m just sad it didn’t work out. 
  • Addick_8 said:
    “We have potential managers out of jobs and others who could be convinced to come here. It depends who we talk to. The process could be relatively short or we might go very close up to pre-season.” 

How is this even an option? After the complete disaster last season leaving everything too late how can we even explore the possibility of leaving it late... again! 
    Doing it once and learning from the mistake is fine, do it again the following year and that is nothing short of ignorance

I've been pretty defensive of TS but this is stupid - especially after telling the press last season we left it too late in pre-season!
    Think you may have misinterpreted this due to TS' poor grasp of English (as opposed to my fierce command of Danish). Believe he was trying to say that (as opposed to the lengthy process last time), if we fail to appoint relatively quickly, we run the risk of running close to pre-season... i.e. he's stressing the importance of a relatively swift decision. At least that's how I read it.

I'm not as shocked or disappointed by this decision as I thought I'd be. Football is heart over head a lot of the time and for that reason I wanted Jacko to have a shot next season. But, following a season where there was no obvious runner-up for player of the year in League One, I don’t think anyone could complain about being sacked, in the whole first team set up, except Dobson. In the cold light of day I think this has probably increased our chances of promotion. 

JJ will always be a club legend, and welcome back any time, would love to thank him for all his efforts. 
  • edited May 2022
    Stig said:
    I can't say I'm at all surprised and, sadly, I can't say I'm really that sorry. I suspect that TS never really had JJ in mind as first team manager. That run we went on when he was caretaker was so ridiculously good though that Sandgaard would have lost all credence if he'd not appointed him. That's why he got the job, short term results and fan pressure. I don't want a manager that's appointed on those terms. I want a manager that's appointed because he has a proven track record of getting teams promoted, not a five minute wonder. Even if he was 'our' five minute wonder. That means I want a manager that's not only able to produce when everything's fresh and exciting, but one who will know how to turn things round when we hit a rough patch. Also someone that's got a proven track record in the transfer market. If we're going to go for a manager with those attributes, now is the time to do it. We don't want to fall behind in the transfer race for a second summer running.

As for JJ, I wish him well. I'm sure he'll get a decent job somewhere, though after the years of shit he's had to put up with under various regimes at Charlton, I hope he has a damn good holiday first.
     That was Adkins. Albeit 6/7 years too late.

You're right of course but that type of pedigree will really cost. Time to see if TS has the minerals
  • Jonniesta said:
    Addick_8 said:
    “We have potential managers out of jobs and others who could be convinced to come here. It depends who we talk to. The process could be relatively short or we might go very close up to pre-season.” 

How is this even an option? After the complete disaster last season leaving everything too late how can we even explore the possibility of leaving it late... again! 
    Doing it once and learning from the mistake is fine, do it again the following year and that is nothing short of ignorance

I've been pretty defensive of TS but this is stupid - especially after telling the press last season we left it too late in pre-season!
    Think you may have misinterpreted this due to TS' poor grasp of English (as opposed to my fierce command of Danish). Believe he was trying to say that (as opposed to the lengthy process last time), if we fail to appoint relatively quickly, we run the risk of running close to pre-season... i.e. he's stressing the importance of a relatively swift decision. At least that's how I read it.

I'm not as shocked or disappointed by this decision as I thought I'd be. Football is heart over head a lot of the time and for that reason I wanted Jacko to have a shot next season. But, following a season where there was no obvious runner-up for player of the year in League One, I don’t think anyone could complain about being sacked, in the whole first team set up, except Dobson. In the cold light of day I think this has probably increased our chances of promotion. 

JJ will always be a club legend, and welcome back any time, would love to thank him for all his efforts. 
    I hadn't read it that way but it's definitely a possibility.
  • supaclive said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    supaclive said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    This nonsense of wanting Jacko to finish 8th after taking over in the bottom four just suggests TS never really wanted him. 
    8th was achievable. Just needed to try something different now and then rather than persist with the wrong players.
    I've seen you play @Dazzler21 and just like your footballing skills, you don't really know what you're doing. 

Jacko showed his belief in the current set up with the amount of minutes he played loan signings he didn't choose.

Gunther
    Watson
    Arter
    Matthews
    Yid loanee
    Chelsea loanee
    Elliot Lee
    Injuries to Stockley, Washington, Aneke, Lavelle and Innis.

And yet he should have got EIGHTEEN MORE POINTS??!

TOP TWO FORM

WITH THIS SQUAD?!

8th was achievable. Not autos. 8th.
    We were 22nd when Jackson took over.  He NEEDED  automatic promotion form to get to 8th.....

Sigh.
    He didn't sign the contract when we were 22nd did he?
    Surely he signed the contract just before xmas, after his 9 or so unbeaten games in temporary charge?
    I would guess we were around 14thish, when he signed that contract and many fans were talking about us making the play offs.
    Someone said above we were 11th when he signed that contract.
  • edited May 2022
    Jonniesta said:
    Addick_8 said:

I can see that - "The process could be relatively short or we might go very close up to pre-season.” 

He should have said "end up" rather than "go"
  • Sponsored links:

• Both Wigan and MKD had inexperienced managers, Rotherham had a L1 promotion expert in charge. There's no one way of doing it.
    Wigan Manager had been in charge for a season, so went into last summer knowing what was needed - Milton Keynes lost their Manager on the eve of the new season, but sensibly went looking for someone who played the same way. 
  • Yes he signed the contract during the week of the 13th December, just after beating Cambridge 2-0. We lost the next three games 1-0 at Plymouth, 1-0 vs Wycombe and 2-1 at Crewe which dropped us down to 14th.
  • edited May 2022
    Rothko said:
    On the owner deciding the way the team plays, he/they kind of do decide that with the person they recruit and the footballing style that person brings. If TS wants high press high tempo, he needs to find someone who’s footballing philosophy is that 
    He’s also got to sign the correct players to be able to play that style. Struggling to see how Kirk or Fraser fits into that high press style. I don’t mind the owner deciding how he wants us to play, but the strategy needs to be joined up. 
    Very similar to the ticketing issue. I like what he’s trying to achieve but his strategy seems bizarre.
  • Stig said:
    I can't say I'm at all surprised and, sadly, I can't say I'm really that sorry. I suspect that TS never really had JJ in mind as first team manager. That run we went on when he was caretaker was so ridiculously good though that Sandgaard would have lost all credence if he'd not appointed him. That's why he got the job, short term results and fan pressure. I don't want a manager that's appointed on those terms. I want a manager that's appointed because he has a proven track record of getting teams promoted, not a five minute wonder. Even if he was 'our' five minute wonder. That means I want a manager that's not only able to produce when everything's fresh and exciting, but one who will know how to turn things round when we hit a rough patch. Also someone that's got a proven track record in the transfer market. If we're going to go for a manager with those attributes, now is the time to do it. We don't want to fall behind in the transfer race for a second summer running.

As for JJ, I wish him well. I'm sure he'll get a decent job somewhere, though after the years of shit he's had to put up with under various regimes at Charlton, I hope he has a damn good holiday first.
     That was Adkins. Albeit 6/7 years too late.

You're right of course but that type of pedigree will really cost. Time to see if TS has the minerals
    Wigan, Rotherham and MK Dons don’t have experienced managers with track records of being promoted. Ipswich outplayed us on Saturday with a 35 year old in his managerial role. I wouldn’t be looking for a manager based on how many times they’ve been promoted in the past.
  • Rothko said:
    On the owner deciding the way the team plays, he/they kind of do decide that with the person they recruit and the footballing style that person brings. If TS wants high press high tempo, he needs to find someone who’s footballing philosophy is that 
    I don’t have any issue with a owner wanting his club playing modern expansive high press football and appointing on that basis. Why shouldn’t he. We’d all complain if the owner said I’ve always liked long ball that’s how we are going to play. I’m happy that he’s clear in what he wants and expects. 
  • supaclive said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    supaclive said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    This nonsense of wanting Jacko to finish 8th after taking over in the bottom four just suggests TS never really wanted him. 
    8th was achievable. Just needed to try something different now and then rather than persist with the wrong players.
    I've seen you play @Dazzler21 and just like your footballing skills, you don't really know what you're doing. 

Jacko showed his belief in the current set up with the amount of minutes he played loan signings he didn't choose.

Gunther
    Watson
    Arter
    Matthews
    Yid loanee
    Chelsea loanee
    Elliot Lee
    Injuries to Stockley, Washington, Aneke, Lavelle and Innis.

And yet he should have got EIGHTEEN MORE POINTS??!

TOP TWO FORM

WITH THIS SQUAD?!

8th was achievable. Not autos. 8th.
    We were 22nd when Jackson took over.  He NEEDED  automatic promotion form to get to 8th.....

Sigh.
    He didn't sign the contract when we were 22nd did he?
    Surely he signed the contract just before xmas, after his 9 or so unbeaten games in temporary charge?
    I would guess we were around 14thish, when he signed that contract and many fans were talking about us making the play offs.
    Someone said above we were 11th when he signed that contract.
    So, IF we were 11th when JJ was appointed he took us down 2 places.
    IF we were 11th an 8th place contract seems more than reasonable to me. 
  • edited May 2022
    Yes he signed the contract during the week of the 13th December, just after beating Cambridge 2-0. We lost the next three games 1-0 at Plymouth, 1-0 vs Wycombe and 2-1 at Crewe which dropped us down to 14th.

At the stage he signed the contract we were 8 points off the play-off places, with 24 games left to play... looked pretty do-able to me?

Also looking at the table we were above Ipswich and Bolton at the time who finished what 10-12 points above us in the end?
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Liam Manning at MK dons would be a good choice if they don't go up via the play offs. They've played some great football since he took over.
  • According to bettingodds.com, Hasselbaink is 25/1, the same price as... Nigel Adkins! Sounds about right... 
  • Yes he signed the contract during the week of the 13th December, just after beating Cambridge 2-0. We lost the next three games 1-0 at Plymouth, 1-0 vs Wycombe and 2-1 at Crewe which dropped us down to 14th.

At the stage he signed the contract we were 8 points off the play-off places, with 24 games left to play... looked pretty do-able to me?

Also looking at the table we were above Ipswich and Bolton at the time who finished what 10-12 points above us in the end?
    We were playing really well so in context, the 8th place target doesn't look unachievable.

What everyone involved should have realized though is that the level of performance wasn't sustainable, especially with the group of players we had available. We were always going to go through a bad spell, it happens to every team in a 46 game season...
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Stop it
  • jakecafc said:
    I think Liam Manning at MK dons would be a good choice if they don't go up via the play offs. They've played some great football since he took over.
    Can’t see him coming here. He also had a squad that had been working towards a possession style for a long time. Do our fans and TS have the patience to build towards it? I’m not convinced when for most promotion next season is a must.
  • Rothko said:
    True. And he also needs to let that same person have input into signings. 
  • Gutted for Jacko and a decision I didn’t see coming! Club has to get this next appointment right, no Adkins type. Michael Beale would be my choice. 
  • I wanted JJ to do well but sticking with formation that he didn't have the players for was a problem. Never a huge fan of 352 - JJs insistence to stick with a formation and showing limited flexibility, when players were not available was a problem. Not having main strikers and other injuries didn't help. Fitness was made worse by a lack of a decent pre-season. I wanted JJ to do well and was willing to give him a chance if he got the players he wanted.

Its Sandgaard's own money he's spending. I am really hoping that he gets the next appointment and the next transfer window right. With Sandgaard's lack of experience, and unwillingess to really take on where he is going wrong and tendency not to listen to decent Charlton people's experience, there is a potential that the whole thing could go totally pearshaped, unfortunately.
  • Sad for Jackson and hope he picks up a new job quickly. I was thinking he’d have a chance to shape the recruitment this year and start with his recruits. The performances haven’t been great from what I’ve seen, and results average, so I think it’s understandable. I hope there’s a plan in place, and we can move quickly to get the transfer window right.