Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    Since Jacko got the job full time we've averaged 1.22 points per game. Extrapolated over a season that has us finishing on 56 points, which would have been good for 15th/16th this season.

Obviously his period in temporary charge was much better (over 2 points per game), but is there any proof that was anything more than a new manager bounce? I guess your answer to that comes down to how much you like Jacko, but looking at the cold hard data there is nothing to suggest he is the man to get us promoted next season. Of course a good transfer window could have done wonders, but equally there's the chance that it doesn't and the club are left looking for a new manager outside of a transfer window with a squad built to play an ineffective formation/style.

It's a bold move by TS. He will have felt he wasn't decisive last autumn, and that directly led to him having to give Jacko the job despite clearly not being convinced. If he'd have acted sooner he could have got away with a temporary deal to the end of the season, but the longer the good run went on the harder it was to do anything other than make him permanent.

The January window can then be seen in a different light. With the injuries we had and the drop in form the play-offs became almost unattainable. The options then were a) go all out for the play-offs, spending more than you want (January is a terrible time to do business) and handing that cheque book to a manager you don't necessarily trust, or b) keep your powder dry, accept this season was almost certain to end in a mid-table finish, spend just enough to ensure safety and give yourself 4-5 months to really take stock and decide what to do the following season.

TS obviously took option B, and I would hope factored in the possibility that Jacko would/could get the results to convince TS he was the man to take us up next year. 1.22 points per game would only have confirmed TS' original hesitancy and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't start looking for a replacement quite some time ago.
    I've never subscribed to the 'new manager bounce' - it's a bit of a myth as Ben McAleer from WhoScored concludes below.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2021/nov/25/investigating-new-manager-bounce-premier-league

"The 'bounce' that comes when a new manager is appointed is often because things cannot get any worse. An uptick is almost inevitable. The bounce is an illusion and the new manager is the beneficiary"

If we had sacked Jacko in March and gone on to win six of the last 10 under Euell, would that have been reasoned away by a new manager bounce too? Why did we have two spells of awful form followed by two spells of promotion form this season and only one can be explained by a new manager bounce? What delivered the second turn around?

The ultimate conclusion to draw here is that Jackson isn't a messiah that can turn average players into world beaters and that the form may well have turned around under Adkins anyway, meaning he is probably better than we gave him credit. But neither of them were able to turn this squad into a team that is going to consistently deliver promotion form.
    Sometimes you have to use your eyes instead of stats. The style of play and effort from the players while he was caretaker was completely different to once he was permanent. A world away in fact.

We picked up some wins in a purple patch towards the end not from good team performances, but from individuals doing something good. It was abysmal football, even with everyone fit.

I contend that the style of play was never very good at any point in the season, although it was perhaps the hardest working spell of the campaign. Looking back at the nine games he had as caretaker, none of them were particularly convincing victories (Doncaster aside).

Sunderland 0-1 Charlton - got dominated, scored with one of our three shots on target and clung on at the end
    Charlton 4-0 Doncaster - our best win of the season and we played well, regardless of how poor the opposition were
    Charlton 1-1 Rotherham - probably a game we should have lost, late equaliser from a deflected pot shot
    Burton 0-1 Charlton - again dominated by the home team and somehow kept the ball out of the net
    Charlton 2-0 Plymouth - had to grind them down and eventually put the seal on it 84th minute
    Morecambe 2-2 Charlton - bright start but dominated thereafter
    Shrewsbury 1-0 Charlton - perhaps the worst quality game I saw all season on both sides
    Charlton 2-0 Ipswich - again not the best football and took a goal late on to guarantee the win
    Charlton 2-0 Cambridge - away side made this one really uncomfortable and would've felt disappointed not to take a point

Oops, just seen @FishCostaFortune make the same point above.

Magnificent performance at Sunderland who were 2nd, thoroughly deserved and we held out quite comfortably.
    Slaughtered Donny could have had a lot more.
    Great performance against Rotherham and we should have won.
    Competent win at Burton, played like a promotion team, grinding out an away win.
    Comprehensively beat Plymouth.
    Should have been about 4 up at Morecambe, unlucky with their cheating penalty.
    Rubbish at Shrewsbury.
    Thoroughly deserved wins against Ipswich & Cambridge.
    I was at 7 of the games & watched Burton & Shrewsbury on Charlton TV.
    We were dreadful second half against Morecambe but the rest I agree with you

I was at all of them, and thought we were excellent against Ipswich and Plymouth. Burton reminded me of the 1-0 away at Wycombe the year we went up under Bowyer 
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Any truth in the rumour that Martin Sandgaard told Connor Washington two weeks ago that his contract wouldn’t be renewed because he didn’t fit in with the new manager’s plans?
    Wants to press, gets rid of the ideal player to trigger the high press and punish teams. Makes sense.
    The part about punishing teams mostly. Washington can't finish to save his life. 
    But does stretch back lines and put teams under pressure to create space for his teammates. We’d be stupid to get rid of him.
    Why don't we try and find someone that can run AND score? 
    We’re League One. 
    Lazy argument imo
  • Options
    Also pretty lazy to say Washington can’t finish 
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Any truth in the rumour that Martin Sandgaard told Connor Washington two weeks ago that his contract wouldn’t be renewed because he didn’t fit in with the new manager’s plans?
    Wants to press, gets rid of the ideal player to trigger the high press and punish teams. Makes sense.
    The part about punishing teams mostly. Washington can't finish to save his life. 
    But does stretch back lines and put teams under pressure to create space for his teammates. We’d be stupid to get rid of him.
    Is Sandgaard willing to pay the going rate (transfer fee and wages) for one of those? And more importantly, one of those who isn't horribly injury prone?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Not lazy at all. Top 7 for 'big chances missed'. 

16 big chances missed, only 11 goals scored. 

2 assists so can't even claim he's 'creating chances' either. 
  • Options

Ah but his main team mate up front us where in Big Chances missed?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dazzler21 said:

Ah but his main team mate up front us where in Big Chances missed?
    People aren't ready for that conversation yet. 

Washington's contract is up. Stockley has a way to go. 
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Wash would be first in the league for one-on-ones missed
  • Options
    Very sad day for our club and for Jacko, this is not who we are as a club.

The combinations of Sandgaard’s parsimony and Nigel “I was a top manager ten years ago” Adkins incompetence killed our season by October.

Jackson picked up the pieces and did as well as you could expect given the train wreck he inherited, yes there were some bad days but there were more good ones as his record shows.

Bottom line? Sangaard has turned out to be the worst owner we have had since the wheels came off in 2007 with our relegation from the Premier League.

Sure, Roland was awful at first but eventually settled down a bit  and learned to keep away, but Sangaard keeps intervening and getting the big calls completely wrong, simply because the man knows absolutely nothing about football whatsoever.

Very, very sad day for our club and we need this guy out of the club before we can progress.

I can see you're over your vendetta against eveyone for LOLing when you said Adkins was the next Pol Pot or whatever.
    Very droll.

I said Adkins was a terrible appointment while most others thought it was the best appointment imaginable.

I was right.

Same goes for Sandgaard.

As Jimmy Stone said on Twitter, “He is Roland Duchatelet with a guitar.”

Yes, sure, Sandgaard saved us - although there were clearly other bidders - that doesn’t mean he is a good owner or has the faintest clue about running the club.

Adkins WAS a bad appointment but it wasn’t down to him that Sandgaard didn’t put the funds in last summer until far too late and we ended up playing Wigan with about 13 senior pros and the bench full of kids.

The bloke has appointed his own son FFS to a senior role at the club, one which involves being heavily involved in player recruitment, what does that tell you? 

The days under Roland, especially with the execrable Katrien Miere running the show, were a clusterfuck, absolutely no doubt about that - but KM eventually left and by the time Bowyer teamed up with Steve Gallen RD was a silent owner and the club progressed.

Sandgaard wants to be involved in EVERYTHING and that is really dangerous for the club because he, quite literally knows nothing about how to run a club and especially not how to run a professional team - but nobody at the club will have the balls to tell him that.

Until Sandgaard leaves the club we are going nowhere unless he drastically changes his ways and that doesn’t seem likely to me.
    Yeah but you said Adkins got the job because he was at Reading with Roddy.  You were talking tosh then........
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Find the witch-hunt of TS really strange from some on here. The RD comparisons are just baffling.
    I find it baffling that people can’t see the very obvious similarities between the two, they are glaringly obvious.

Roland appointed a rookie lawyer as CEO of the club because he knew KM would do his bidding.

Sandgaard appoints his son to a very senior role whilst running the club himself from the US.

Roland puts in the embarrassing “fan sofas” and Sandgaard brings in an execrable new team song.

Roland forces horse shit Belgian players onto Chris Powell that he refused to play ….Sandgaard (or, more likely, hi son) brings in loanees that JJ refused to play.

It’s stark, staring obvious.
    Do you change your under pants as often as you change history?
  • Options
    Find the witch-hunt of TS really strange from some on here. The RD comparisons are just baffling.
    I find it baffling that people can’t see the very obvious similarities between the two, they are glaringly obvious.

Roland appointed a rookie lawyer as CEO of the club because he knew KM would do his bidding.

Sandgaard appoints his son to a very senior role whilst running the club himself from the US.

Roland puts in the embarrassing “fan sofas” and Sandgaard brings in an execrable new team song.

Roland forces horse shit Belgian players onto Chris Powell that he refused to play ….Sandgaard (or, more likely, hi son) brings in loanees that JJ refused to play.

The mental gymnastics going on here are fantastic 
    Everything in Ormiston’s post is true, but as is so often the case on here he has decided to leave a few things out. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Everything in Ormiston’s post is true, but as is so often the case on here he has decided to leave a few things out. 
    Until people are willing to call Gallen out for signing an a list of absolute crock - and it continues to get bigger, then I don’t feel they can comment on Sandgaard Jnrs role (or what they perceive it to be based on sound bites and hear say!)

too much sentiment at Charlton at the moment, and whilst I agree jackson should have been sacked face to face, his sacking doesn’t show that the club has lost its soul as some are saying!

jackson wouldn’t have lasted past Christmas had he stayed on, and would have been another waste of a season…

look forward to the new guy coming in And hopefully a positive summer transfer and Cat1 wise! 

As curbs said, “don’t let the highs be too high…”
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Name anything there that is factually incorrect.

Duchatelet was an awful owner, absolutely agreed, but he eventually lost interest.

As Robinson and Bowyer both said they didn’t have a problem with him at all because he was hardly involved, he just signed the cheques.

Sandgaard is quite literally in the media telling managers the style of play that he wants and appointing his children to senior executive positions in the club.

You are all OK with that, yeah?

How do you think that’s going to work out long term for the club, being run at an executive level by an absolute amateur and his son?

I’ll take the advice of @“Airman Brown" over anyone else on here and as he says the fundamentals of the club are simply not in place, we have no management structure in place because everything goes through Sandgaard.

That is a huge problem and it’s not any less of a problem simply because he is a nice guy and engages with the fans, the end result will be the same, absolute chaos.

Let’s come back here in a year and see where we are, the best predictor of future performance is past performance and if the club continues to be run on the current basis then we are bang in trouble.

Surely that has to work both ways then! 
    JJs past performances/tactics/whatever were awful and meant we wallowed around the bottom half of the table!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    sammy391 said:
    Uboat said:

Until people are willing to call Gallen out for signing an a list of absolute crock - and it continues to get bigger, then I don’t feel they can comment on Sandgaard Jnrs role (or what they perceive it to be based on sound bites and hear say!)

too much sentiment at Charlton at the moment, and whilst I agree jackson should have been sacked face to face, his sacking doesn’t show that the club has lost its soul as some are saying!

jackson wouldn’t have lasted past Christmas had he stayed on, and would have been another waste of a season…

look forward to the new guy coming in And hopefully a positive summer transfer and Cat1 wise! 

As curbs said, “don’t let the highs be too high…”
    Depends what you men by signing....... did he do the deals - absolutely. Did he suggest the players as being one's to sign is a whole other matter and I don't believe to be the case.
    Up until Sandgaard Jnr turned up, Gallen would have done both…
    the successes are limited
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    How on earth have you come up with that……there is a great deal of factual evidence held by those who are of that opinion.
    He has many great attributes but sad to say, finding the back of the net isn’t one of them.
    Why does saying so make me (and plenty of others), lazy…..how very curious of you to say so.🤔
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's a fact that he's wasteful in front of goal. 
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Like Cole Stockton for example, who showed at The Valley that he's more than just a goalscorer. 

Indeed I was baffled by Jacko's comment that he was too similar to what we had already
  • Options
    Since Jacko got the job full time we've averaged 1.22 points per game. Extrapolated over a season that has us finishing on 56 points, which would have been good for 15th/16th this season.

Obviously his period in temporary charge was much better (over 2 points per game), but is there any proof that was anything more than a new manager bounce? I guess your answer to that comes down to how much you like Jacko, but looking at the cold hard data there is nothing to suggest he is the man to get us promoted next season. Of course a good transfer window could have done wonders, but equally there's the chance that it doesn't and the club are left looking for a new manager outside of a transfer window with a squad built to play an ineffective formation/style.

It's a bold move by TS. He will have felt he wasn't decisive last autumn, and that directly led to him having to give Jacko the job despite clearly not being convinced. If he'd have acted sooner he could have got away with a temporary deal to the end of the season, but the longer the good run went on the harder it was to do anything other than make him permanent.

The January window can then be seen in a different light. With the injuries we had and the drop in form the play-offs became almost unattainable. The options then were a) go all out for the play-offs, spending more than you want (January is a terrible time to do business) and handing that cheque book to a manager you don't necessarily trust, or b) keep your powder dry, accept this season was almost certain to end in a mid-table finish, spend just enough to ensure safety and give yourself 4-5 months to really take stock and decide what to do the following season.

TS obviously took option B, and I would hope factored in the possibility that Jacko would/could get the results to convince TS he was the man to take us up next year. 1.22 points per game would only have confirmed TS' original hesitancy and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't start looking for a replacement quite some time ago.
    I've never subscribed to the 'new manager bounce' - it's a bit of a myth as Ben McAleer from WhoScored concludes below.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2021/nov/25/investigating-new-manager-bounce-premier-league

"The 'bounce' that comes when a new manager is appointed is often because things cannot get any worse. An uptick is almost inevitable. The bounce is an illusion and the new manager is the beneficiary"

If we had sacked Jacko in March and gone on to win six of the last 10 under Euell, would that have been reasoned away by a new manager bounce too? Why did we have two spells of awful form followed by two spells of promotion form this season and only one can be explained by a new manager bounce? What delivered the second turn around?

The ultimate conclusion to draw here is that Jackson isn't a messiah that can turn average players into world beaters and that the form may well have turned around under Adkins anyway, meaning he is probably better than we gave him credit. But neither of them were able to turn this squad into a team that is going to consistently deliver promotion form.
    Sometimes you have to use your eyes instead of stats. The style of play and effort from the players while he was caretaker was completely different to once he was permanent. A world away in fact.

We picked up some wins in a purple patch towards the end not from good team performances, but from individuals doing something good. It was abysmal football, even with everyone fit.

I contend that the style of play was never very good at any point in the season, although it was perhaps the hardest working spell of the campaign. Looking back at the nine games he had as caretaker, none of them were particularly convincing victories (Doncaster aside).

Sunderland 0-1 Charlton - got dominated, scored with one of our three shots on target and clung on at the end
    Charlton 4-0 Doncaster - our best win of the season and we played well, regardless of how poor the opposition were
    Charlton 1-1 Rotherham - probably a game we should have lost, late equaliser from a deflected pot shot
    Burton 0-1 Charlton - again dominated by the home team and somehow kept the ball out of the net
    Charlton 2-0 Plymouth - had to grind them down and eventually put the seal on it 84th minute
    Morecambe 2-2 Charlton - bright start but dominated thereafter
    Shrewsbury 1-0 Charlton - perhaps the worst quality game I saw all season on both sides
    Charlton 2-0 Ipswich - again not the best football and took a goal late on to guarantee the win
    Charlton 2-0 Cambridge - away side made this one really uncomfortable and would've felt disappointed not to take a point

Oops, just seen @FishCostaFortune make the same point above.

I think there’s a bit of revisionism going on here, unnecessarily playing it down. Off the back of dire form, performances and a relegation threatening position, we played 9, won 6, draw 2, lost 1.

The home performances vs Ipswich, Rotherham and Plymouth were unrecognisable to what had been seen before (and since). Cambridge was about staying committed and seeing it through, Sunderland & Burton a fantastic defensive rearguard and effort away from home. 

It was promotion equivalent form and would have resulted in play offs had it been maintained through the remainder of the season. It didn’t, it ended abruptly at that point. But playing down results / performances during that caretaker period is unjust  imo 

I'll go back to March and make a few tweaks to your post...

Off the back of dire form, performances and a relegation threatening position [we were 17th, six points from the drop and about to play Gillingham], we played 9, won 6, draw 2, lost 1.

The performances vs Rotherham, Cambridge and Shrewsbury were unrecognisable to what had been seen during the two months before. Cambridge and Shrewsbury was about staying committed and seeing it through, Rotherham a fantastic defensive rearguard and effort away from home. 

It was promotion equivalent form and would have resulted in play offs had it been maintained through the season. 

I'm not trying to downplay the results during the caretaker period, they were obviously good. I'm trying to make comparisons with the last 10 games of the season and the way I see it, there isn't much of a difference. They both share similar characteristics, grinding out wins and holding on to leads away from home against top six sides.

Teams that tend to finish mid table go through these runs of form - the accumulation of points rarely goes in a straight line. Adkins suffered, and was rightly let go, because we started very poorly. But a good run was due and that came coincidentally with Jackson's appointment. Then we had another terrible run that mirrored the start under Adkins. Then another great run of form that mirrored Jacko's spell as caretaker.

What I'm alluding to is that for three managers straight, the quality of the available playing squad has dictated the results moreso than any manager or formation.
    I usually agree with you Callum, but I'm certain you're talking nonsense, having actually attended most of the games being discussed and seeing the rest on Charlton TV. 

In JJ's 9 game caretaker role we played and achieved the results of a top 2 team.
    The last 10 games of the season we played and achieved the results of a mid table team.
    You might not have felt as good about the performances but we got 19 points from the last 10 games. That is the form of a top 2 team, not mid table.
    The second ‘bounce’ came from players returning from injury and a ‘kinder’ run of fixtures 
  • Options
    So who is the problem.... JJ.... or our owner who will now have his 4th manager in two years?
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Like Cole Stockton for example, who showed at The Valley that he's more than just a goalscorer. 

Indeed I was baffled by Jacko's comment that he was too similar to what we had already
    Because he’d have been aiming to have Stockley and Chuks as our two physical/hold up strikers and Washington plus a new striker to add pace.
  • Options
    It is a bit shocking to me how quickly people compare Sandgaard to Duchatelet. Roland was the worst thing that could have possibly happened to our club. He didn't care, was adamant his way of doing things was the only way, but to the aggressive exclusion of the fans. He actively worked against fans, posting statements against them, ignoring absolutely all input from others, briefing against 'disgruntled ex-employees', allowing his CEO to employ people to physically assault fans with no reprimand and holding the club to the ransom of his big idea. He hired random blokes from the Belgian third division and wanted to bring in some guy who played indoor football to manage the club. I think because it was a while ago and we had Southall and then another bloke whose name I genuinely can't remember and refuse to Google people have forgotten just how desperate things were. The prick even still owns our home and won't give it back. He sold us on to an obvious pack of crooks because as far as he was concerned he either got the money for the asset off them or he didn't; if the stuff around it burned to the ground he didn't give a single one, The Valley and Sparrows lane were still good land he could make use of.
    Sandgaard has an ego and thinks his way is best, and he does make a concerningly large amount of first draft cock ups but we regularly do see recalibration of his choices and we have real engagement from our owner. It's not some remote nutcase in another country never appearing and remaining silent unless it's to complain about us, nor is it some charlatan sweeping through Crossbars to applause while siphoning all the cash out of the club. On Sunday Sandgaard, who lives in Colorado, presented medals to a team of 16-18 year old girls at The Valley because they won the Reserve South Central league title. He did this at a women's match with an attendance of 710. He does genuinely care, he's just got a lot to learn and a lip that he could do with buttoning. I'll take that every single day over an owner who would deliberately, actively destroy the club if it meant he got the chance to show that his brain is biggest.
    Sandgaard is not above scrutiny and him saving the club is credit that he has received and is now in the past, but please don't call him Roland mk II because he doesn't fancy watching us hoof the ball out of play for the 37th time that half while Morecambe run rings around us. For the first time since 2014 we have an owner that actually wants us to do well, it's not perfect but Jesus, it's not Roland.
    Fantastic post. It’s actually driving me mad the agenda against Thomas, all he’s done is try and be positive about this club and if you think otherwise you must be high? 

We wanted an owner who signed up talent and spent dosh, he did, wanted Chuks to stay last season, he bought him back, we wanted Bowyer gone and a new face, that happened, we wanted Adkins gone, he sacked him (even did it a few games late tbh), wanted Jacko signed up, he did it?

he’a genuinely done more or less everything that the majority of fans have asked of him and he’s been made out to be some sort of sociopath by some fans. 100% the man to take us forward and has my backing, I’m sure people will change their tune when he gets it right 
    It’s not an agenda. It’s a response to evidence and events. On the other hand you haven’t noticed any problems and everything will work out fine. 
    But yeah, it’s everyone else who’s high. 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Gutted, and not just because I'm sad to see it fall apart for a club legend like this. Given he came in when we were in the relegation places, and we've had major injury problems in central defence or with the strikers for huge chunks of the season, I think mid-table is a reasonable finish. I understand to some extent the grumblings about the style of football played and the apparent tactical rigidity, but I'm not sure how much of that is a matter of necessity given the players we currently have, particularly given the comments about "keeping it simple" after Adkins went.
    I'm also gutted about the timing. I was already concerned that we hadn't sorted out deals for various out of contract players, when normally that's been sorted out by now. Either the rebuild is going to be an even bigger job than already anticipated, or we're going to be wasting time in the summer on those renegotiations that we should be spending tying down new players. And now all those renewals and new signings are going to be further delayed because we don't have a manager. Given it was only a couple of days ago that Sandgaard was telling Charlton Live that we were going to get our recruitment started early this season, this already wasn't sitting right with me, but his comments about "we might go up to the beginning of pre-season" in our search for a manager seems like he doesn't understand the potential impact of what he's just gone and done. How many players are going to sign for a club when they don't know who their manager's going to be? And having to sort all this out from Colorado is just going to make it even more difficult.
    Oh well, at least this means I don't have to catch up on the 600 odd posts on the "Jackson has to go" thread
    100% aliwibble, I just see another wasted season coming up.

I also wonder where Jason Euell fits in with all this, JJ & Skiverton gone surely JE is as much of "the problem" ? Is he being kept on to smooth the incoming manager into the position, giving him the lowdown on players & situations & then eventually given the boot if the new man brings in his own team & or will JE be presented as the new mans coach whether he wants him or not.
    Sandgard mentioned recently that Jason Euell did a great presentation which impressed him.

No disrespect to Jason as I'm sure it made football sense but we know someone else who did a presentation meant to impress another owner. 

If we are sh*t at football as the fans think, don't worry we are great at presentations.