Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    I'd be surprised if Euell didn't go and try and be a No1 somewhere else . Would expect him to be in the running for the AFCW job if they don't go for Bowen 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    It is a bit shocking to me how quickly people compare Sandgaard to Duchatelet. Roland was the worst thing that could have possibly happened to our club. He didn't care, was adamant his way of doing things was the only way, but to the aggressive exclusion of the fans. He actively worked against fans, posting statements against them, ignoring absolutely all input from others, briefing against 'disgruntled ex-employees', allowing his CEO to employ people to physically assault fans with no reprimand and holding the club to the ransom of his big idea. He hired random blokes from the Belgian third division and wanted to bring in some guy who played indoor football to manage the club. I think because it was a while ago and we had Southall and then another bloke whose name I genuinely can't remember and refuse to Google people have forgotten just how desperate things were. The prick even still owns our home and won't give it back. He sold us on to an obvious pack of crooks because as far as he was concerned he either got the money for the asset off them or he didn't; if the stuff around it burned to the ground he didn't give a single one, The Valley and Sparrows lane were still good land he could make use of.
    Sandgaard has an ego and thinks his way is best, and he does make a concerningly large amount of first draft cock ups but we regularly do see recalibration of his choices and we have real engagement from our owner. It's not some remote nutcase in another country never appearing and remaining silent unless it's to complain about us, nor is it some charlatan sweeping through Crossbars to applause while siphoning all the cash out of the club. On Sunday Sandgaard, who lives in Colorado, presented medals to a team of 16-18 year old girls at The Valley because they won the Reserve South Central league title. He did this at a women's match with an attendance of 710. He does genuinely care, he's just got a lot to learn and a lip that he could do with buttoning. I'll take that every single day over an owner who would deliberately, actively destroy the club if it meant he got the chance to show that his brain is biggest.
    Sandgaard is not above scrutiny and him saving the club is credit that he has received and is now in the past, but please don't call him Roland mk II because he doesn't fancy watching us hoof the ball out of play for the 37th time that half while Morecambe run rings around us. For the first time since 2014 we have an owner that actually wants us to do well, it's not perfect but Jesus, it's not Roland.
    Fantastic post. It’s actually driving me mad the agenda against Thomas, all he’s done is try and be positive about this club and if you think otherwise you must be high? 

We wanted an owner who signed up talent and spent dosh, he did, wanted Chuks to stay last season, he bought him back, we wanted Bowyer gone and a new face, that happened, we wanted Adkins gone, he sacked him (even did it a few games late tbh), wanted Jacko signed up, he did it?

he’a genuinely done more or less everything that the majority of fans have asked of him and he’s been made out to be some sort of sociopath by some fans. 100% the man to take us forward and has my backing, I’m sure people will change their tune when he gets it right 
    It’s not an agenda. It’s a response to evidence and events. On the other hand you haven’t noticed any problems and everything will work out fine. 
    But yeah, it’s everyone else who’s high. 
    It’s very flappy if you thing Thomas Sandgaard is looking to do anything but elevate us as a club and probably some emotional damage from previous ownership 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    So who is the problem.... JJ.... or our owner who will now have his 4th manager in two years?

Bit of this, bit of that. 

Can't argue with the managerial sackings (and Bowyer walked). Him talking about how he wants the team playing is his Sheikh Mansour/ Abramovich moment (eg. Turning club into football powerhouse/ buy up the best players in the world) it's what he wants to see from his investment and the bloke sure does love talking.

He's not the Messiah, but he's not a naughty boy either.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Also pretty lazy to say Washington can’t finish 
    Not lazy at all. Top 7 for 'big chances missed'. 

16 big chances missed, only 11 goals scored. 

2 assists so can't even claim he's 'creating chances' either. 
    Ah but his main team mate up front us where in Big Chances missed?
    Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but possibly good enough to get us near playoffs at a stretch, but Championship........I don't think so. easiest afternoon of the season for Championship defenders.
    Still think they are a new new formation- 2 lone strikers in the same team. Never play off each other.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Seems such a missed opportunity. If the owner had made a concerted effort to sort out the structure and governance/running of the club, then I have a feeling Jackson would have been more successful. Even though in my opinion he did enough to stay on for another year.
    It does feel a little like JJ was setup to fail, and then just dumped. Only ever a stop gap for TS.
    I have a feeling the team knew something was up at the end, and the Ipswich performance was a reflection of that.
    There are no signs yet the owner is getting his act together. I will reserve full judgement until August, but I would be surprised if we are any better on or off the field next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems such a missed opportunity. If the owner had made a concerned effort to sort out the structure and governance/running of the club, then I have a feeling Jackson would have been more successful. Even though in my opinion he did enough to stay on for another year.
    It does feel a little like JJ was setup to fail, and then just dumped. Only ever a stop gap for TS.
    I have a feeling the team knew something was up at the end, and the Ipswich performance was a reflection of that.
    There are no signs yet the owner is getting his act together. I will reserve full judgement until August, but I would be surprised if we are any better on or off the field next season.
    Was he set up to fail ?  I agree that he probably wasn’t the man TS wanted to appoint but he had his hands tied by Jackson’s early results and fan pressure. What alternative was there for Sandgaard ? Had JJ continued to deliver he’d still be in post but it all turned to shit and like many others I think it was right to replace him. Thinking the players “knew something was up” at Ipswich and performed badly as a consequence is an interesting view. Begs the question though why JJ himself said that the performance was a long time in the making and also what was the players excuse for all the other appalling performances?
  • Options
    We all know that if TS decided to keep JJ on and we inevitably have a poor run early next season there would be huge grumbles that TS should have got rid in the summer and allow a new manager a fresh season, likely those grumbles would have come from the same fans that are currently lambasting TS for acting early.
    I think it's more likely the "should have got rid" grumbles would have been coming from the people who have been calling for Jackson to go over the last few weeks, along with a fairly hefty dose of "we told you so". Those fans currently lambasting Thomas for acting early would probably be split between those grumbling about our shitness and having to eat humble pie because the "should have got rid" crew were right, those blaming it on summer recruitment failures, a few people with short term memory issues who'd end up getting called out for changing their mind as you describe, and the occasional batshit conspiracy theorist (not looking at anyone in particular, but there's always one...)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    When Sandgaard arrived after saving the club from oblivion and in his enthusiasm and naivety got ahead of himself with his five year plan, one of the things he said was and I paraphrase. I want the team playing attractive attacking football. I don’t remember too many people criticising that last bit back then. Bowyer got tied up with fear and in the end played defensive negative football. Adkins was without doubt a mistake but who could have foreseen it. Jackson started brilliantly then showed no signs he was either willing or capable of delivering attractive football. In fact we got the worst football seen by a Charlton team since I’ve been supporting. Add into the mix the weird team selections and total stubbornness and inflexibility to Johnnies tenure then, am I surprised or disappointed he’s being replaced ? Am I bollox. Sad yes. 
    I remember too.
    Sandgaard said he would rather lose 4-3 than 1-0.
    His lived experience of losing to four goals at Ipswich, without the three compensatory goals to soften the blow will have hit him in the gut as it did all Charlton fans last Saturday.
    I think Sandgaard was as shocked as all of us that we went into that game so unprepared, so unwilling, so disjointed and so uncaring, and like me he put that down to the manager.
    Whatever he expects in the future, a hands on old school manager or a black box functionary, Sandgaard does not want to see 2000 travelling fans betrayed like we were at the weekend, and I think his sacking of Jacko was as visceral as it was intellectual.
    👏
  • Options
    Very sad day for our club and for Jacko, this is not who we are as a club.

The combinations of Sandgaard’s parsimony and Nigel “I was a top manager ten years ago” Adkins incompetence killed our season by October.

Jackson picked up the pieces and did as well as you could expect given the train wreck he inherited, yes there were some bad days but there were more good ones as his record shows.

Bottom line? Sangaard has turned out to be the worst owner we have had since the wheels came off in 2007 with our relegation from the Premier League.

Sure, Roland was awful at first but eventually settled down a bit  and learned to keep away, but Sangaard keeps intervening and getting the big calls completely wrong, simply because the man knows absolutely nothing about football whatsoever.

Very, very sad day for our club and we need this guy out of the club before we can progress.

I can see you're over your vendetta against eveyone for LOLing when you said Adkins was the next Pol Pot or whatever.
    Very droll.

I said Adkins was a terrible appointment while most others thought it was the best appointment imaginable.

I was right.

Same goes for Sandgaard.

As Jimmy Stone said on Twitter, “He is Roland Duchatelet with a guitar.”

Yes, sure, Sandgaard saved us - although there were clearly other bidders - that doesn’t mean he is a good owner or has the faintest clue about running the club.

Adkins WAS a bad appointment but it wasn’t down to him that Sandgaard didn’t put the funds in last summer until far too late and we ended up playing Wigan with about 13 senior pros and the bench full of kids.

The bloke has appointed his own son FFS to a senior role at the club, one which involves being heavily involved in player recruitment, what does that tell you? 

The days under Roland, especially with the execrable Katrien Miere running the show, were a clusterfuck, absolutely no doubt about that - but KM eventually left and by the time Bowyer teamed up with Steve Gallen RD was a silent owner and the club progressed.

Sandgaard wants to be involved in EVERYTHING and that is really dangerous for the club because he, quite literally knows nothing about how to run a club and especially not how to run a professional team - but nobody at the club will have the balls to tell him that.

Until Sandgaard leaves the club we are going nowhere unless he drastically changes his ways and that doesn’t seem likely to me.
    So still not over the LOLs then eh. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Any truth in the rumour that Martin Sandgaard told Connor Washington two weeks ago that his contract wouldn’t be renewed because he didn’t fit in with the new manager’s plans?
    If this is true, it's disgusting behaviour, players knowning JJ was getting sacked before the man himself...? Wow. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    ozaddick said:
    Phil said:
    Any truth in the rumour that Martin Sandgaard told Connor Washington two weeks ago that his contract wouldn’t be renewed because he didn’t fit in with the new manager’s plans?
    If this is true, it's disgusting behaviour, players knowning JJ was getting sacked before the man himself...? Wow. 
    what the hell is wrong with people's basic critical thinking, to read that and even slightly believe it 
    May or may not be true but given that Thomas didn't have the decency to speak to JJ face to face when dismissing him having given no inclination of it happening just over 24 hours before hand and other recent events, I'd suggest that it's not beyond the realms of possibility.
    In addition, there have been a couple of versions of something similar being said. All allude to the decision being out of the manager's hands. I can't believe that JJ would have sanctioned Martin having any kind of conversation like that with Connor as it completely undermines him. Not least it hints at his departure does it not?
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    Phil said:
    Incorrect……but did kind of hint that Jacko might be on his way.
  • Options
    Another way to view Jacko’s overall “delivery” from Sunderland away onwards: 

- has he improved any of the players he inherited? Well, just look at the POTY winner and the runner-up to answer that, and where were they, especially Dobbo, under Adkins? He wouldn’t have been POTY by such a margin if he was just a “bouncer”.  You can probably  easily add CBT. 

- have any players gone backwards under Jacko? I think most of the under performers have underperformed pretty much all season; Famewo top of my list, Leko in most people’s. DJ has been inconsistent all season, but he tore Plymouth a new one at the Valley. 

Overall I tend still to feel that his departure was inevitable - I think I agree with those who say that TS never really wanted him (or Bowyer), and ultimately the owner has the right to decide whom he employs and is able to work with effectively, but I don’t agree with the line that "the results speak for themselves". Like many managerial sackings - or successes - the reasons are far more nuanced. 
    Elliot Lee for sure went backwards as the season progressed.  Burstow also..though give both player and manager a break on that one.  Others underperformed throughout vs the previous year (Famewo, Gilbey who was looking good at the end of 20-21).  Inniss' return a car crash, and if he wasn't ready physically why di JJ risk him - would it have been a shock/disaster if Elerewe had replaced Lavelle in the Wimbledon game?  Getting no more out of players than Adkins did is not much of an endorsement - and for me why JJ had to go.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    As the seemingly popular misquote says, ‘the proof is in the pudding’ (heard that twice on one CL podcast). We’re basically making judgements of TS based on predictions. It’s hypothetical at present.

I genuinely hope I’m wrong, but I can’t see this being a sound decision at this time. There isn’t much out there better than Jackson and nobody who cares as much about the club. Massive gamble. That said, if his next appointment gets us success (what that means is another topic), I’d happily eat my words - no agenda here.

My fear is that he’s slowly edging towards greater control of the team management. His son is in control of recruitment, with him still having the final say. He’s bigged up the process in readiness to claim it autonomous to a manager. He’s stated we might not need a manager in place by the start of pre-season (“I’ve got this guys!”). And he’s further dictating the style of play he wants to see. Presumably whoever comes in will have to tow the line with regards to a ‘high press’.

Finally, the reason for players not being offered new deals is clear now. This was a premeditated move, (not off the back of Ipswich) yet without a replacement lined up, it very much seems. Not only a bit cowardly, but also points towards him being happy that he and Martin can get on with preparing for the new season until the right person comes along.

I remain open-minded, but it’s slowly narrowing.

And by the way, I’m not comparing him to Roland - he’s more Michael Knighton.
  • Options
    Let’s face it TS is a bit of a one off in football club ownership terms, in short he’s a bit odd, which I can just about live with.
    I honestly believe that his heart is set upon making us a huge success, it’s become his dream.
    Is he naive, a bit of a dreamer, unrealistic, out of his depth?
    Well yes, he has shown elements of all those characteristics during his tenure but I haven’t seen any conniving or out and out cheating of us fans and the club.
    Strangely enough, it may be matters elsewhere that will ultimately be his downfall and not related to The Addicks at all.
    Zynex is in a significantly different place than it was just a short while ago and speaking for myself, I fancy that it’s already having an impact on all sorts of things at The Valley that he might otherwise not have contemplated.
    IMHO he has found himself having to do a juggling act.
    I hope he stays strong (however odd that may sound) and that  
    the rumours of Zynex having found a new product for marketing might save the day.
    In short, I believe that the success or failure of Zynex are just as important to us as our immediate future.
    What say you guys?
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2022
    Cloudworm said:
    As the seemingly popular misquote says, ‘the proof is in the pudding’ (heard that twice on one CL podcast). We’re basically making judgements of TS based on predictions. It’s hypothetical at present.

I genuinely hope I’m wrong, but I can’t see this being a sound decision at this time. There isn’t much out there better than Jackson and nobody who cares as much about the club. Massive gamble. That said, if his next appointment gets us success (what that means is another topic), I’d happily eat my words - no agenda here.

My fear is that he’s slowly edging towards greater control of the team management. His son is in control of recruitment, with him still having the final say. He’s bigged up the process in readiness to claim it autonomous to a manager. He’s stated we might not need a manager in place by the start of pre-season (“I’ve got this guys!”). And he’s further dictating the style of play he wants to see. Presumably whoever comes in will have to tow the line with regards to a ‘high press’.

Finally, the reason for players not being offered new deals is clear now. This was a premeditated move, (not off the back of Ipswich) yet without a replacement lined up, it very much seems. Not only a bit cowardly, but also points towards him being happy that he and Martin can get on with preparing for the new season until the right person comes along.

I remain open-minded, but it’s slowly narrowing.

And by the way, I’m not comparing him to Roland - he’s more Michael Knighton.
    Doubt there are many managers out there who cared much about any club before they actually joined them and started taking a wage, ex players aside, should not even come into the thinking in the recruitment of the new manager