Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Pretty much the way I feel @Covered End
    Thank you 🙏🏻 
    Not sure I agree with ‘Most said it was the worst Charlton team they had ever seen.’

Well quite a few said that, but not sure it was the majority. In my limited time watching every match I would say some of the Slade era was worse.
    We had some good results under JJ, but rarely played exciting football. 
  • Options
    This thread truly is an embarrassing, awkward read. Some of the blind loyalty and sycophancy surrounding Jackson (and his plethora of inadequacies as a football manager) is vomit inducing!

I'm off to the HoC group! 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    No blind loyalty from me, bazjonster. Just respect for a good man who did his utmost against the odds of possibly/probably an interfering owner who never planned to make him a permanent fixture in the first place.

RoanRedNY's post explains my gut feelings far better than a passionate, emotional old Addick could, so many thanks  for not over interpreting the caution & degree of negativity I alluded to. 

I shall await with increasing interest to see how the relationship between TS & his latest recruit pans out ....hopefully positively for all our sakes. After all, everyone wants the same thing - success on the pitch.

But I'm not holding my breath. 

Stubborn is as stubborn does....
  • Options
    No blind loyalty from me, bazjonster. Just respect for a good man who did his utmost against the odds of possibly/probably an interfering owner who never planned to make him a permanent fixture in the first place.

RoanRedNY's post explains my gut feelings far better than a passionate, emotional old Addick could, so many thanks  for not over interpreting the caution & degree of negativity I alluded to. 

I shall await with increasing interest to see how the relationship between TS & his latest recruit pans out ....hopefully positively.

Fanny can I ask you question. Do you honestly think JJ got acceptable performances last season ?

All this have a window to spend a few million to get your players in rubbish is pie in the sky. Name me a team anywhere that does that when a manager comes in ?

We have no idea if there is interference with team tactics or selection or not that is all gossip.

I dont want you to think I'm against JJ I'm not but in the cold light of day it was the right decision surely. 

I would love a poll on here asking the question would JJ have made us top half next season 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022

Prospects for next season - CAST survey before JJ axed

4% of respondents think that Charlton will gain automatic promotion next season and 50% think that we will reach the play-offs.  39% envisage a 7th-12th place finish and 7% bottom half but not relegated. No one is predicting relegation. This time last year 51% thought we would gain automatic promotion and 47% predicted the play-offs.

• Options
    A lot of happy optimists, that’s the spirit, unless the imbibing of said spirits accounts for some of those numbers.  I’m a 12-17 man myself unless the next 6 weeks include several football miracles and a mouth zip for our band leader.
  • Options

4% of respondents think that Charlton will gain automatic promotion next season and 50% think that we will reach the play-offs.  39% envisage a 7th-12th place finish and 7% bottom half but not relegated. No one is predicting relegation. This time last year 51% thought we would gain automatic promotion and 47% predicted the play-offs.

I was probably the most optimistic person on here this time last year.  I thought a top half finish was "free money" from the bookies.  Even after the first game I though we would get a bit of quality in and still make a fist of it.  After the window shut I thought we would be there or there abouts.

Right now I wouldn't put a penny on top half next season.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Great write up @Covered End I think due to our past we are all super cautious when it comes to owners and rightly so. It has made mistakes for sure but I dont see how anyone cannot think he doesnt have the clubs best interests at heart. Some of the stuff he gets stick for I think are wrong and misguided and if people thought about it a bit they might see my point.

1. Martin. People kicking off with the criticism but nobody know exactly what he does. Sure he has a job title but the bloke from Chelsea (cant remember his name) also does that job here. All I can say is if I lived the other side of the Atlantic and I was sinking £m's a year into business here ( you might not like it but face facts we are a business) I would want someone I trust as my eyes and ears. I dont for a second think he is directing our transfer policy.

2. Jj going is exactly what I would have done and taking sentiment out of it (easy to do when it's not you money) so would most people he was failing desperately. The dismissed by phone call thing well none of us know what really happened there or what conversations took place in person. Whatever happened if JJ was unaware or shocked then he must be very naive. 

3. The stick he gets re the David Brent stuff. We have had years of people owning us not communicating now we have someone who tbh communicates to much imo but it's better I suppose than the other mob.

4. Then you have the lot who bemoan because he isnt rich enough lol get your heads out of your arses will you. Nobody else had the bollocks or was mental enough to buy us no matter how much you want Barclay or whoever to come over the mountain. It ain't happening!!!!

Yes he makes mistakes. Yes he is slightly mental. I'm not convinced he will get it right but I support the efforts as we have no other options. Plus tbh he makes me laugh which is the opposite to the team making me cry lol
    Agree with points 2-4 but think you are wrong on point 1.

Martin has far more influence than that and has done since before it was public knowledge he was involved.

It really wouldn't surprise me if Kirk was his call last January.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I was probably the most optimistic person on here this time last year.  I thought a top half finish was "free money" from the bookies.  Even after the first game I though we would get a bit of quality in and still make a fist of it.  After the window shut I thought we would be there or there abouts.

Right now I wouldn't put a penny on top half next season.
    Ditto 100%.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Great write up @Covered End I think due to our past we are all super cautious when it comes to owners and rightly so. It has made mistakes for sure but I dont see how anyone cannot think he doesnt have the clubs best interests at heart. Some of the stuff he gets stick for I think are wrong and misguided and if people thought about it a bit they might see my point.

1. Martin. People kicking off with the criticism but nobody know exactly what he does. Sure he has a job title but the bloke from Chelsea (cant remember his name) also does that job here. All I can say is if I lived the other side of the Atlantic and I was sinking £m's a year into business here ( you might not like it but face facts we are a business) I would want someone I trust as my eyes and ears. I dont for a second think he is directing our transfer policy.

2. Jj going is exactly what I would have done and taking sentiment out of it (easy to do when it's not you money) so would most people he was failing desperately. The dismissed by phone call thing well none of us know what really happened there or what conversations took place in person. Whatever happened if JJ was unaware or shocked then he must be very naive. 

3. The stick he gets re the David Brent stuff. We have had years of people owning us not communicating now we have someone who tbh communicates to much imo but it's better I suppose than the other mob.

4. Then you have the lot who bemoan because he isnt rich enough lol get your heads out of your arses will you. Nobody else had the bollocks or was mental enough to buy us no matter how much you want Barclay or whoever to come over the mountain. It ain't happening!!!!

Yes he makes mistakes. Yes he is slightly mental. I'm not convinced he will get it right but I support the efforts as we have no other options. Plus tbh he makes me laugh which is the opposite to the team making me cry lol

Martin has far more influence than that and has done since before it was public knowledge he was involved.

I can’t agree with 4, it’s been more years than I can remember since I was  flexible enough to insert pate into anus.
  • Options
    AndyG said:

I shall await with increasing interest to see how the relationship between TS & his latest recruit pans out ....hopefully positively.

Fanny can I ask you question. Do you honestly think JJ got acceptable performances last season ?

All this have a window to spend a few million to get your players in rubbish is pie in the sky. Name me a team anywhere that does that when a manager comes in ?

We have no idea if there is interference with team tactics or selection or not that is all gossip.

I dont want you to think I'm against JJ I'm not but in the cold light of day it was the right decision surely. 

I would love a poll on here asking the question would JJ have made us top half next season 

But I have never said that performances were acceptable although you are looking at the time he was in charge overall. And where have I said that " a few million" would be required to bring in players that Jacko might have identified as being ideal for his squad ? You're claiming multiple things that I haven't posted ! We're all too aware that Sandgaard has already made it clear his budget will be carefully utilised....and that inputting silly money doesn't guarantee success. 

You can't argue with the great start to his tenure...or was that not good enough for you ? 

And it's SO easy to ignore the lengthy period when both Wash & Stockley were injured. Easy to conveniently "forget" that period &  I'd challenge any manager, even one with far more experience than Jacko, to have adequately coped with it. 

AND to ignore what 75% or more of Lifers have been saying about the squad in general...."they're not good enough !" ..especially as none of them were brought in by him. 

TBH, those of you accusing me of wearing rose tinted specs where Jacko's record is concerned should re read my posts without immediately thinking " Silly old woman! She knows nothing about football!" The same goes for the question of whether Jacko would have made us top half next season....With the squad that finished the season, probably I'd answer in the negative.

But as with ANY manager if asked about the players he'd like to add to his squad, and if the owner knew sufficient about players in the EFL and was prepared to invest accordingly, who knows what the outcome might be. 
    All the things your saying Jackson should have had got the chance to have over the summer are all the things the manager should have got last summer.

Do you have any confidence he would have got them?  If not it doesn't really matter that he was sacked now not next October does it?

Didn't Adkins deserve to get them as well?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

But I have never said that performances were acceptable although you are looking at the time he was in charge overall. And where have I said that " a few million" would be required to bring in players that Jacko might have identified as being ideal for his squad ? You're claiming multiple things that I haven't posted ! We're all too aware that Sandgaard has already made it clear his budget will be carefully utilised....and that inputting silly money doesn't guarantee success. 

You can't argue with the great start to his tenure...or was that not good enough for you ? 

And it's SO easy to ignore the lengthy period when both Wash & Stockley were injured. Easy to conveniently "forget" that period &  I'd challenge any manager, even one with far more experience than Jacko, to have adequately coped with it. 

AND to ignore what 75% or more of Lifers have been saying about the squad in general...."they're not good enough !" ..especially as none of them were brought in by him. 

TBH, those of you accusing me of wearing rose tinted specs where Jacko's record is concerned should re read my posts without immediately thinking " Silly old woman! She knows nothing about football!" The same goes for the question of whether Jacko would have made us top half next season....With the squad that finished the season, probably I'd answer in the negative.

But as with ANY manager if asked about the players he'd like to add to his squad, and if the owner knew sufficient about players in the EFL and was prepared to invest accordingly, who knows what the outcome might be. 
    All the things your saying Jackson should have had got the chance to have over the summer are all the things the manager should have got last summer.

Do you have any confidence he would have got them?  If not it doesn't really matter that he was sacked now not next October does it?

So who are you saying is the problem then ? 

Not Adkins, not Jacko ....and what about the next manager ? Will he get the opportunity to bring in players that HE wants ?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

So who are you saying is the problem then ? 

Not Adkins, not Jacko ....and what about the next manager ? Will he get the opportunity to bring in players that HE wants ?
    The main problem is not, or was not, Jackson or Adkins.  I was quite clear that Adkins going wouldn't solve the problem.  It didn't. 

To answer your last question.  No, not unless something fundamentally changes.

Edit:  I will add that both of them didn't help themselves in different ways so you can argue that they deserved the sack but there are/were bigger problems. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    AndyG said:

I agree he had a great start and that injuries put a stop to that, but the difficult part of management is solving problems that crop up in any season. Sticking to a rigid 3-5-2 when you haven’t got two strikers to play there just does not make sense to me. Not having CH’s on the pitch but two on the bench? Continuously conceding goals with balls being played behind the wing backs into huge open spaces over and over again? 
    I don’t know if any other manager would have had more success, but not even trying something different is poor. If he had changed things up and even played some of our youth players I think many would be more supportive. At the end of the day he is not good enough yet to take us forward.
    I also think he was playing what he thought was his best players and in a formation he believed in to get the points to keep his job. I think a lot of fans thought he needed a DOF like Curbishley to help him through and I think if he had, he would probably still be here. 
    I mean when Wash and Stockley were injured and all we had was a reasonably quick forward in Burstow, we absolutely couldn't put Jaiyesimi and CBT either side of him for a few games. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    AndyG said:

I agree he had a great start and that injuries put a stop to that, but the difficult part of management is solving problems that crop up in any season. Sticking to a rigid 3-5-2 when you haven’t got two strikers to play there just does not make sense to me. Not having CH’s on the pitch but two on the bench? Continuously conceding goals with balls being played behind the wing backs into huge open spaces over and over again? 
    I don’t know if any other manager would have had more success, but not even trying something different is poor. If he had changed things up and even played some of our youth players I think many would be more supportive. At the end of the day he is not good enough yet to take us forward.
    I also think he was playing what he thought was his best players and in a formation he believed in to get the points to keep his job. I think a lot of fans thought he needed a DOF like Curbishley to help him through and I think if he had, he would probably still be here. 
    I mean when Wash and Stockley were injured and all we had was a reasonably quick forward in Burstow, we absolutely couldn't put Jaiyesimi and CBT either side of him for a few games. 
    Wasn't CBT injured for some of those games as well though?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    PWADDICK said:

This is embarrassing 
    Sandgaard is, no doubt, a tool, whether the sacking of Jackson was right or not.  
    I heard it takes one to know one. Your post supports that.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    PWADDICK said:

This is embarrassing 
    Sandgaard is, no doubt, a tool, whether the sacking of Jackson was right or not.  
    Personal abuse. Classy.
    Ok.  Sandgaard behaves like a tool.  Is that better ?
    No. You describe your own behaviour.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

Do you have proof of any of that or is it just opinion?
  • Options
    Major said:
    wmcf123 said:
    PWADDICK said:

This is embarrassing 
    I heard it takes one to know one. Your post supports that.
    I sincerely apologise if I’ve upset you; have a lovely day now .