Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    https://x.com/afcwimbledon/status/1755671273991008285?s=46&t=mEmS51nyCqmemhJshcDkBA

A well-earned new 2 year contract for Jackson. His existing deal was expiring this summer 
    Shows how things can turn around. He wasn’t far off Appleton levels of corner flag memes at the end of last season but the club stuck with him and he’s doing an excellent job.
  • Options
    Excellent is stretching it a bit, to be honest.
  • Options
    One point off the Play Offs to be fair with a very average squad bar the their top scorer who has been sold to Ipswich (18 goals this season). That would be the equivalent of us having sold Alfie May in the window and we know where we would be without him. It will be interesting to see what happens to Wimbledon during the course of the rest of the season.  
  • Options
    He’s done a great job there. Had a rebuild on his hands when he took over. 
  • Options
    One point off the Play Offs to be fair with a very average squad bar the their top scorer who has been sold to Ipswich (18 goals this season). That would be the equivalent of us having sold Alfie May in the window and we know where we would be without him. It will be interesting to see what happens to Wimbledon during the course of the rest of the season.  
    Do they have an average squad? Like us will be interesting to see where they are after the next six games as they seem to be playing teams in and around them. 
  • Options
    He was miles ahead of Appleton both as a coach and a human being.
    To be honest I think the last part of your comment is a bit ott.
  • Options
    Strange this; my brother in law is an AFC Wimbledon supporter and he's not too keen on Jacko.

Find it interesting looking at his PPM stats though. Jackos at AFC Wimbledon is 1.32. His average as permanent manager at Charlton was 1.53, which obviously got him sacked.

Nathan Jones managerial career PPM is 1.55, but some of that was in the Prem.

For comparison -

1st. Pep = 2.34
    2nd. Ferguson = 2.16
    3rd. Klopp = 2.11

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Strange this; my brother in law is an AFC Wimbledon supporter and he's not too keen on Jacko.

Find it interesting looking at his PPM stats though. Jackos at AFC Wimbledon is 1.32. His average as permanent manager at Charlton was 1.53, which obviously got him sacked.

For comparison -

1st. Pep = 2.34
    2nd. Ferguson = 2.16
    3rd. Klopp = 2.11

I think that you have to take last season as a rebuilding job. His record this season is much stronger. That Wimbledon squad for League 2 is no better than ours is for League 1. They're challenging for the play offs. We all know where we are.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

For comparison -

1st. Pep = 2.34
    2nd. Ferguson = 2.16
    3rd. Klopp = 2.11

Helps having some of the best players in the world. If Klopp really wanted a challenge he could try managing a League Two side for a couple of seasons. 
  • Options
    Do they have an average squad? Like us will be interesting to see where they are after the next six games as they seem to be playing teams in and around them. 
    They are 9 points behind Wrexham who do have the likes of James McLean, Elliot Lee, Eoghan O'Connell, Paul Mullin, Andy Cannon, Steven Fletcher, George Evans and Thomas O'Connor and who have hundreds and hundreds of games between them playing at a higher standard than League 2. Wimbledon will now have to rely on Josh Davison and Omar Bugiel for their goals - 76 in 388 matches in their career between them! 

• Options
    Gribbo said:

For comparison -

1st. Pep = 2.34
    2nd. Ferguson = 2.16
    3rd. Klopp = 2.11

Helps having some of the best players in the world. If Klopp really wanted a challenge he could try managing a League Two side for a couple of seasons. 
    Yeah i had similar writen in the post, but deleted it because they're playing against teams with some of the best players in the world. Think its all relative and still shows a decent enough reflexion of things.
  • Options
    They are 9 points behind Wrexham who do have the likes of James McLean, Elliot Lee, Eoghan O'Connell, Paul Mullin, Andy Cannon, Steven Fletcher, George Evans and Thomas O'Connor and who have hundreds and hundreds of games between them playing at a higher standard than League 2. Wimbledon will now have to rely on Josh Davison and Omar Bugiel for their goals - 76 in 388 matches in their career between them!
    I thought you'd spelt Omar Bogle's name badly wrong at first 
    As incredible as it might appear, Bogle's record is actually much better than that of Bugiel. The former is playing at a level where he has had moderate success whereas the latter has never hit those heady heights!

Bugiel - 45 goals in 250 appearances
    Bogle - 95 goals in 274 appearances

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Gribbo said:

For comparison -

1st. Pep = 2.34
    2nd. Ferguson = 2.16
    3rd. Klopp = 2.11

I think that you have to take last season as a rebuilding job. His record this season is much stronger. That Wimbledon squad for League 2 is no better than ours is for League 1. They're challenging for the play offs. We all know where we are.
    I would say we are under achieving rather than them over achieving.

wimbledon claim the small club and poverty card but they have their own stadium, relatively big crowds for that league and have sold a couple of players for biggish fees and invested it well. They are where I would expect them to be
  • Options
    Great to see JJ turn it around. Said it before but we set ourselves back by replacing him with Garner and in the process lumped ourselves with a load of lower L1/L2 players in the process 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Gribbo said:

For comparison -

1st. Pep = 2.34
    2nd. Ferguson = 2.16
    3rd. Klopp = 2.11

wimbledon claim the small club and poverty card but they have their own stadium, relatively big crowds for that league and have sold a couple of players for biggish fees and invested it well. They are where I would expect them to be
    Agreed. They stayed in L1 for 6 seasons before relegation, so they weren't some minnow out of their depth in a higher division. The new ground has clearly taken a lot of their capital, but it's also delivering bigger gates and corporate income.

Yes Jacko has done a decent job this season, but nothing outstanding. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Gribbo said:

For comparison -

1st. Pep = 2.34
    2nd. Ferguson = 2.16
    3rd. Klopp = 2.11

Agreed. They stayed in L1 for 6 seasons before relegation, so they weren't some minnow out of their depth in a higher division. The new ground has clearly taken a lot of their capital, but it's also delivering bigger gates and corporate income.

Dear Lord.

Remind me which oligarch or multi-national corporation owns AFCW. 

They stayed in L1 for six seasons while all the time remaining fan-owned. Who built their new stadium? The fans. Even at this level that is a towering achievement. Portsmouth tried it but threw in the towel. Now they are dependent on Mr Disney. 

Portsmouth fans are generally a pretty bone-headed and entitled bunch. It’s one reason why we do well there, we know how easily they turn. (I’ve witnessed it since the mid 70s when I was at Poly there, two of my best mates were die-hards)

Are we as a fanbase becoming more like Pompey and less like AFCW? These two comments suggest so, and I think that is sad. I guess thats what happens when people forget the lessons of history.
    ???

I never knocked the amazing achievement in getting back to Plough Lane, though Kingstonian supporters might feel less charitable, after the sale of Kingsmeadow to Chelsea kicked them out. And the horrible language aimed at Karl Robinson when he was our manager left a sour taste too.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/league-two/attendances

While it clearly isn't the only factor, Wimbledon have the 6th highest average attendances in L2, so you'd expect them to be competitive. The 2 teams either side of them in the table, Harrogate and Accrington, have the 22nd and 23rd highest attendances. Hence as I said, Jacko is doing a decent job, but not outstanding. 
  • Options
    Wimbeldon fans booing the side of tonight after another poor home performance and there are calls for Jackson head as well 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Gribbo said:

For comparison -

1st. Pep = 2.34
    2nd. Ferguson = 2.16
    3rd. Klopp = 2.11

Dear Lord.

They stayed in L1 for six seasons while all the time remaining fan-owned. Who built their new stadium? The fans. Even at this level that is a towering achievement. Portsmouth tried it but threw in the towel. Now they are dependent on Mr Disney. 

Portsmouth fans are generally a pretty bone-headed and entitled bunch. It’s one reason why we do well there, we know how easily they turn. (I’ve witnessed it since the mid 70s when I was at Poly there, two of my best mates were die-hards)

Are we as a fanbase becoming more like Pompey and less like AFCW? These two comments suggest so, and I think that is sad. I guess thats what happens when people forget the lessons of history.
    ???

I never knocked the amazing achievement in getting back to Plough Lane, though Kingstonian supporters might feel less charitable, after the sale of Kingsmeadow to Chelsea kicked them out. And the horrible language aimed at Karl Robinson when he was our manager left a sour taste too.

While it clearly isn't the only factor, Wimbledon have the 6th highest average attendances in L2, so you'd expect them to be competitive. The 2 teams either side of them in the table, Harrogate and Accrington, have the 22nd and 23rd highest attendances. Hence as I said, Jacko is doing a decent job, but not outstanding. 
    WTF has attendance got to do with their performance 
  • Options
    Wimbeldon fans booing the side of tonight after another poor home performance and there are calls for Jackson head as well 
    Doesn’t seem likely when they’ve just given him a new contract and most of their fans seemed pleased with it 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Gribbo said:

For comparison -

1st. Pep = 2.34
    2nd. Ferguson = 2.16
    3rd. Klopp = 2.11

Dear Lord.

???

WTF has attendance got to do with their performance 
    The bigger a club’s attendances the higher their budget generally is, and therefore expectations.

Of course it doesn’t necessarily mean they also have the 6th highest wage budget in the league.
  • Options
    Anything from them tonight?
  • Options
    I have said it before and will say it again

Jacko is not a good manager

He is a Charlton legend and whilst I get everyone wants him to do well

But as I say IMO he isn't a good manager 

He is a great player motivator, which is why when he first took over us he had that great run because he was able to get into the players, put an arm around them, get some passion.

Games like yesterday are perfect for him, I knew AFC would win because that's the type of game he can win(especially as they lost to MK a month ago) but before today they had won 2 of their last 10(both wins against 10 men) tactically he doesn't have what it takes and again just my opinion but he makes the perfect number 2, doesn't have to make the tactical decisions, but at the same time can be the passionate one to get the players going 

Would love to be proved wrong but personally don't think he will succeed long term as a manager(i know this will annoy some people as they have an attachment to him still, but as I said just because he is a CAFC legend which he is, i try to look at things with an open mind) 

Anyway football is all about opinions and thats just mine