Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    if the rumours he was sacked by phone are true, then that's piss poor form - not to have the bollocks to do it to his face.

Absolutely correct. But listen to JJs full interview with @LouisMend on Sunday. I’m convinced he knew. Unless he was just pissed. 
  • Options
    if the rumours he was sacked by phone are true, then that's piss poor form - not to have the bollocks to do it to his face.

Absolutely correct. But listen to JJs full interview with @LouisMend on Sunday. I’m convinced he knew. Unless he was just pissed. 
    He will have known at the very least that the clause in his contract was not met and so would’ve been in a precarious situation…
  • Options
    Mark warburton I’d like to see, managed at clubs where he’s had no say on transfers 
    He had input at Brentford where he was most successful. The reason he left was because they started to push him out of that process. 
  • Options
    Blimey that’s a genuine surprise. Although does go some way to explaining the contract situations…

Will never understand the complaints about the style of football. We are in League One. In League One it’s never been pretty. Under Powell, under Bowyer. Look at Wigan and Rotherham this season. Both played 3-5-2 with big lumps at either end of the pitch.

If we want to take the MK Dons route here, it’s going to be a long old road and many years of getting it wrong before it all clicks. No doubt it’s probably the better choice in the long term but it’s risky.
    For me personally I can't say I agree with this. Rothertham for instance are very direct, but I wouldn't say they were not pretty to watch - they don't just lump it up to Smith in hope he gets a knock down to another forward player. The often moved the ball very quickly through the thirds, and if not possible, the direct ball up to Smith was played with a lot more quality than just hit and hope, and normally found him moving into a channel where he could bring it down and play other runners overlapping him into play quickly.

We never had that. Our long balls were usually to Stockley who would drop a little deeper, in the centre of the pitch, and basically head it to no one - or get the ball out to the wings and try and get a cross in. It was horrible to watch, and often left us getting turned over easily with players out of position.
    I will respond to that with three words: Famewo, Gilbey and Stockley.

We can’t play accurate long balls up to the striker when Famewo hoofs it.

We can’t play quickly through the thirds when Gilbey has the worst first touch and pass that I’ve seen in a Charlton shirt for a while.

We can’t have Stockley bring it down intelligently and bring others into play around him for a couple of reasons… 1. he isn’t very good at it 2. it’s usually only Washington that’s anywhere near supporting him.
    Why did Adkins last season have us playing good, direct football with all 3 of those in the starting line-up? 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Croydon said:
    Meltdown on this is quite amusing tbf. 
    Where's the meltdown?  Hardly surprising people are expressing an opinion that he has been sacked... and some wonder who will appoint.
    All the overly emotive langauge used in posts on here and on twitter. We've sacked a manager, not killed him
    Typical simple language used by Football fans these days - all that emotional language used after a defeat, players being called wankers etc. I feel is way over the top in terms of reactions.
  • Options
    Now on reflection this stinks. (Regardless of what camp your in Jacko in or out)

TS spoke just days ago of being slow into the transfer market last summer. I was hoping they as a collective had been working towards targets and start getting business done sooner.

Its clear the new Manager won't be picking next seasons squad just coaching. This is worrying JJ was pretty clear in what he thought of January players recruited by not playing them despite having tosh on the field. Maybe this was JJ last stand.

The rumours Nigel wasn't impressed with our recruiting are coming full circle again. A long summer and disappointing summer awaits i fear.
    Spot on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Don't I entirely agree with him being told over the phone If I am honest. I think he deserved a little more than that after 12 years.
    i dont really see an issue.

JJ had failed to meet the required league finish.

unless he was led to believe he was staying then surprised with this call, i dont see the problem in this day and age.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Addick_8 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Conerning if correct he has been sacekd becuase JJ opnion on how to get promoted does not aling with TS. 

I am starting to have concerns on how much TS belives him and MS know. 
    TS has also watched every game JJ has been in charge. I'm sure that was 95% of the reason behind it. Shocking football. 
    We play shocking football because we have a shocking squad. You could put Pep in charge of this lot and I don't think we would see much difference.
    Disagree, the squad is better than 13th.
    It probably is, but Jacko essentially started with a points deduction didn't he. So not fair to say he finished 13th. 

I was happy for him to bring in players for his formation and be given a go. Equally, I'm not against sacking him to be completely honest. 
  • Options
    Absolutely shocked, whether people wanted it or not is one thing, never thought it would actually happen.  

Initial reaction, TS ain’t fuckin about this season it’s business.  To effectively sack a club legend who never left the building after playing is bold.  
    Or ego driven crackpottery 
    big mistake in my opinion, no chance to have a full pre-season and shape his own team

this'll come back to bite us on the arse
    Dead right

"the search for a new manager starts now"  this is all time wasted in the construction of next season's squad
    If finishing 8th or 10th or 6th was the benchmark for JJ's continuance then every day since that was unattainable has been casually wasted

Explains why nobody that the club might want to retain has been approached with a new offer - more wasted time.

If this has come out of the blue for the players same as it has for us it's gonna ensure that fewer will want to stay

Gratitude for even having this club to worry about, after douchebag and the rest had violated it, has now worn away completely
    TS has to get every decision between now and 30 July absolutely right first time or he'll make himself hugely unpopular with the faithful.

Airman will have even more material for September's intended swan song VOTV.  Hey Rick, just when you thought you could scrap the old gestetner... 

• Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Don't I entirely agree with him being told over the phone If I am honest. I think he deserved a little more than that after 12 years.
    If you had a performance-based deal in terms of an extension and you failed to achieve it, as I suspect Jackson has, I don't see what's wrong with a phone call, especially if he's been told for months that performances haven't been good enough.
  • Options
    Blimey that’s a genuine surprise. Although does go some way to explaining the contract situations…

Will never understand the complaints about the style of football. We are in League One. In League One it’s never been pretty. Under Powell, under Bowyer. Look at Wigan and Rotherham this season. Both played 3-5-2 with big lumps at either end of the pitch.

If we want to take the MK Dons route here, it’s going to be a long old road and many years of getting it wrong before it all clicks. No doubt it’s probably the better choice in the long term but it’s risky.
    For me personally I can't say I agree with this. Rothertham for instance are very direct, but I wouldn't say they were not pretty to watch - they don't just lump it up to Smith in hope he gets a knock down to another forward player. The often moved the ball very quickly through the thirds, and if not possible, the direct ball up to Smith was played with a lot more quality than just hit and hope, and normally found him moving into a channel where he could bring it down and play other runners overlapping him into play quickly.

We never had that. Our long balls were usually to Stockley who would drop a little deeper, in the centre of the pitch, and basically head it to no one - or get the ball out to the wings and try and get a cross in. It was horrible to watch, and often left us getting turned over easily with players out of position.

We can’t play quickly through the thirds when Gilbey has the worst first touch and pass that I’ve seen in a Charlton shirt for a while.

We can’t have Stockley bring it down intelligently and bring others into play around him for a couple of reasons… 1. he isn’t very good at it 2. it’s usually only Washington that’s anywhere near supporting him.
    I absolutely agree with this, which funny enough, exactly disproves your first point about you not getting why people are complaining about our style of football.

You have given the exact reason why our football has been terrible, and argued why a team like Rotherham, though direct, actually play good effective football. 
  • Options
    Makes the January comments from Jackson very interesting when he went to the press asking for a new contract. 

Suppose this is because he knew there was no chance he was making 8th place and Thomas would likely be moving him on at the end of the season. 

Fan pressure didn't work that time. 
  • Options

Why did Adkins last season have us playing good, direct football with all 3 of those in the starting line-up? 
    That’s a myth. The football under Adkins was bad. Here’s what you posted almost a year ago after we drew 1-1 at Accrington with a last minute Aneke equaliser…

“ Even if we do end up in the play-offs at the end of the season, I don't want to see most of these players in the first 11 next season. 

We need to sign a lot lot better this summer.”

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4302946/#Comment_4302946

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Warburton smacks me as an Adkins type appointment

Also he left Brentford as he was opposed to the black box data approach the owners wanted to bring in so would be surprised if was happy to work with Sandy junior on transfers!
  • Options
    I've got two reports to finish today and am glued to Charlton life, thanks Tommy!!! You had all day Sunday and yesterday to do this
    Same.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe TS should let someone else appoint the next one. Losing interest in this club fast.
    What he should of done months ago was employ a proper CEO who could give him good advice on all things football. 
    He won't though as he thinks he's cleverer than everyone else. 
    Exactly my point 
  • Options
    Well. we are all split on CL but I thought it was inevitable after so many below par performances. Hope we get Warburton but I think he will get better offers.  
  • Options
    Sad sad day for the club, and such a shame it has come to this to such a legend, but am I surprised or disappointed… No! It was coming, and honestly think it’s the correct decision. Jackson stubbornness got the better of him, playing a formation that didn’t work in this league, or to the players we have available, I am
    gutted for Jacko, never wanted to end this way, but best decision moving forward, need a total
    clean slate.. I think that is nearly everyone from the ESI era gone now, apart from TL and OG? 
  • Options
    There is plenty out there to choose from - ex Derby boss Cocu, ex Norwich Farke, Warburton, Mowbray

We need experience, not young, if we are to get out of Lge 1

If only Curbs could be tempted out of retirement - on Charlton Live he speaks so much sense
  • Options
    edited May 2022

I absolutely agree with this, which funny enough, exactly disproves your first point about you not getting why people are complaining about our style of football.

You have given the exact reason why our football has been terrible, and argued why a team like Rotherham, though direct, actually play good effective football. 
    Sure I agree with you. Direct and effective football is a good thing. That’s what Jackson was trying to implement but couldn’t due to the lack of quality in the squad.

I get the feeling fans are over egging their criticism of past managers as if style of football is most important to them. I know for a fact we could play hoof ball all season next year and as long as we won the league, you wouldn’t hear a peep.

At the end of the day, fans just want to see their team win and will gloss over the style if points are being put on the board.
  • Options
    Glad to see the back of Skiverton. Nothing personal. Just never understood the logic of the appointment if our ambitions are higher than league 1. . 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Addick_8 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Conerning if correct he has been sacekd becuase JJ opnion on how to get promoted does not aling with TS. 

I am starting to have concerns on how much TS belives him and MS know. 
    TS has also watched every game JJ has been in charge. I'm sure that was 95% of the reason behind it. Shocking football. 
    We play shocking football because we have a shocking squad. You could put Pep in charge of this lot and I don't think we would see much difference.
    Disagree, the squad is better than 13th.
    And it has been better than 13th under Jackson, having been significantly worse than that under his predecessor.

It's a dreadful squad though. Which of the current lot would get anywhere near the last two sides that got us out of this division? Stockley? Dobson? Nobody else? The recruitment's been appalling. Our biggest summer signing was out the door by January. Sean Clare was unwanted by Oxford - that's hardly ambitious (although Jackson got some very good performances out of him.

It really doesn't matter who the manager is if he's got nothing to work with.
    Getting rid of Jackson  may mean we see less of his favourites though, who are the same shit players we dislike. Can't see Matthews getting a new contract now, and hopefully Gilbey won't be starting every single match regardless of how shite he's performing