Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Longest Streak Without Missing a Day Through Ill Health

I was reading the other thread about Playoffs and saw Bannan has started 92 of the last 93 games, and a Millwall player had over 200 consecutive games recently, (can't recall who) in comparison to how dreadful our players seem to be for keeping fit or injury free.

I wondered which Lifer has the record for length of service without a sick day. 

I'll kick off. December 2011 - present.

(For retirees, can be former employment, no age descrimination on CL)

Comments

• Not sure who the millwall players is, but I do know that Phil Neal played 417 consecutive games for Liverpool. 
  • If Iñaki Williams plays today against Valencia for Athletic Bilbao he would have made 337 consecutive appearances for the Basque club. 230 consecutive in the league.

A run that goes way back to 20th April 2016. 
  • Sage said:
    If Iñaki Williams plays today against Valencia for Athletic Bilbao he would have made 337 consecutive appearances for the Basque club. 230 consecutive in the league.

Our Seb managed 1076.

RIP Legend.
  • Omar Puso managed 45 minutes for us once

*I say managed but he was well off the pace
  • Not trying to derail this, but it should be pointed out that not taking any sick days shouldn’t be a badge of honour. 
    Coming in to work when unwell isn’t fair on you or your colleagues.
    If you’re ill, you should stay home. It doesn’t make you a slacker. Employers tend to encourage their staff to sneer at those taking sick days because it’s in their interest financially.
    Obviously, some people do take the piss and call in sick for nothing, but if you’ve worked for years with no sick days, I’d say the company is taking advantage of your good nature.

In my industry (teaching) Many teachers, (myself included), will usually go in to work when feeling unwell because the process of setting cover and dealing with the work that cover generates afterwards, plus the school gives your lessons to your colleagues to cover, so there’s an automatic guilt trip the school gives you and it makes it not worth the hassle. We drag ourselves in because it’s more trouble than it’s worth. They make being off sick a fucking nightmare, as if being unwell wasn’t bad enough.
    I wonder how much sick leave has dropped in office based roles since COVID

I cant remember my last sick day, but working from home now has made me even more resolute to login - This week I've felt like crap, and for two months, last year I could barely leave the bathroom - But still remained available for work.
  • bobmunro said:
    Sage said:
    If Iñaki Williams plays today against Valencia for Athletic Bilbao he would have made 337 consecutive appearances for the Basque club. 230 consecutive in the league.

Our Seb managed 1076.

RIP Legend.
    It was a great run, 1076 not out as far as I’m concerned.

His brother Ollie wasn’t that far behind but he told me there was a game he missed, Blackpool away on a Tuesday night in the last few years, wasn’t feeling well and just couldn’t make it.  He was on about 990 at the time.  The run stretched back to Stoke in the League cup in 2000 I think.  I can’t be sure but it was the game after that that Seb’s run started as well.  Don’t hold me to that though as these were conversations I’ve had with Ollie on the coach 

There are a few others on the coach that have done some pretty consistent numbers but I don’t know if they are unbroken.  

The challenge with knowing who our longest, unbroken run of games fan is, is that they may be unknown to Charlton Life, not use social media as much and it could be anyone. 

A couple of the younger lads I’ve seen at Accrington and places this season may be starting decent runs and in the hat 

My longest was missing one game between the start of the 98/99 season to the end of the 01/02 season.  Missed Swindon away in our 99/00 Championship winning season on a Tuesday night because I was ill.  That would’ve been 4 straight seasons of every game.  Right stage of my life to do it though.  I was 16 - 19.  No chance I could do that now.  The missus would do her nut