Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    a mate of mine was slagging Newton off just before Newts dances through and drills the ball into the top corner. Cue celebrations and a lot of "yeah, well, he just needed a bit of encouragement is all" 
  • Options
    That really felt like the beginning of something to me.  Really vivid memories of the day but little recollection of the actual game.

Unfortunately it's the same date as the Desmond at Annfield, which really was end of something.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    The joys of the late 90s and early part of this century seem so long ago now.
    They'll return 
  • Options
    Get butterflies watching that knowing what was coming at Wembley!
  • Options
    Remember the roof being off the west stand - it was one of those warm nights with the fireflies in the air, comfortable t shirt weather. Happy times, not a worry in the world as an 18 year old. Great times.
  • Options
    2019 is not a patch on 1998. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    2019 is not a patch on 1998. 
    100%, 98 will take some beating
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember the roof being off the west stand - it was one of those warm nights with the fireflies in the air, comfortable t shirt weather. Happy times, not a worry in the world as an 18 year old. Great times.
    Yep - I was in West Stand that game - it was one of the few games where I walked to ground, and I just knew we were going to win, I was that confident in our team

I had the same feeling that season when we played Middlesbrough at home in January - they were flying high, and Boro fan was in Bartrams before the game with his little boy - Dad and I chatted with him (nice bloke) and he was super confident - I said ‘nah mate, we are getting a head of steam now, Boro are gonna get stuffed today’ - he laughed - we blew them away 3-0 - men against boys that day - walking to the station, we saw him again - he looked shell shocked, and was gracious enough to admit that Charlton were unplayable that day

Halcyon days, halcyon days ……
  • Options
    Sasa was unbeatable. Ipswich could have played all night and they wouldn’t have scored. I agree, best atmosphere I have ever experienced at The Valley. 
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Coincided with us living in Well Hall Road the closest I've lived to the Valley, moved down to Brighton at the end of 2005.....all down hill from there on.
  • Options
    That's the best era of charlton that I've experienced
     My dad had £20 on Newton FGS and the correct score that night. 

Did the West have no roof due to ongoing construction or am I imagining that ? 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    That's the best era of charlton that I've experienced
     My dad had £20 on Newton FGS and the correct score that night. 

Did the West have no roof due to ongoing construction or am I imagining that ? 
    No roof ready for the upper tier to be built in the summer - bang on time for the Prem it turned out 😃
  • Options
    Sasa was unbeatable. Ipswich could have played all night and they wouldn’t have scored. I agree, best atmosphere I have ever experienced at The Valley. 
    We had Mark Garvey on the pitch before the game with his drum and Steve Dixon on the mic. Between them they really whipped the whole of the Charlton support into a frenzy. When our support is like that, we have some of the best and loudest fans in the land 
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    It dawned on me the other day that the 2012 promotion back to the Championship is now over ten years ago. Up until that point there seemed a realistic hope that we could get back to the top. Now, it's no more than a feint glimmer of hope rather than a realistic proposition. I remember the days in the Championship just after we first dropped out of the Prem how the crowds had dropped, the empty seats seemed to stand out like a sore thumb compared to in our top flight days. In reality, we were still drawing 20k attendances. How things have dwindled since then. It's a crying shame what has been allowed to happen to our club.
  • Options
    Worried before the game when I heard Super Clive was out injured but fantastic goal from newts & no doubt after that. What a sight straight after the goal, Sasa turned arms in air & the East stand going mental behind, awesome. Don't think I've ever seen those interviews afterwards.
    Great night & down to the Oak afterwards & later the Ipswich players coach inched down the road & got stuck right outside the Oak in the traffic jam, they didn't half take some stick for a few minutes  :D