Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Preseason Friendlies 2022 (Swansea home 23/7)

Comments

• Options
    Last time we had Liverpool in pre-season friendly we ended up leaving The Valley. 

So answer is no thank you 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Feels bizarre to be talking about pre season matches, with the international matches going on and the NL playoff final only yesterday!

I was expecting another Dartford match, seeing that we use Princes Park for U23 matches. Last summer's game was a good contest. Sutton is tempting also as a new ground for me
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Dartford 9th July. First team friendly 
    First team for the Darts for sure
    It will be harder to tell for Charlton fans
    If more than 25% of that starting XI is in the matchday squad when the world cup kicks off we'll be in the bottom 4 for sure
  • Options
    this must be a joke. 4 weeks away from preseasons and we have not even got a full first team yet.
  • Options
    depending on the strength of the team that Swansea bring to the Valley, it should be a good test of whatever team the Addicks have assembled during the close season
  • Options
    Drama on #cafc Twitter after Sutton’s OS mentioned we’ve agreed to split the gate receipts.

Easy to forget they’re going into their second L2 season and finished just outside the playoffs. It could have been a league game.

I understand why we’d let non-league clubs take 100%, but they’re a professional club in the division below us.
  • Options
    Thank god for this thread... Lovely to have a bit of normality from fans (not necessarily on here as per Scoham's post) moaning about bloody pointless pre-season friendlies!! - Bring on the 2-1 defeat to Dartford for the real meltdown.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    No trip to Welling then as the 2 usual Saturdays are now taken. Could play them midweek like we did last season but it seems like Tommy boy likes to upset the apple cart.
    Possibility of an Under 23 side playing the wings in a pre season friendly but nothing confirmed at this stage 
  • Options
    Sutton statement:

"The clubs have agreed that the gate receipts for the game will be shared, and so we regret that season tickets will not be valid for this game, although they will be valid for the subsequent games against Woking and Bromley."
  • Options
    Be good for some fans who wanted to add Sutton to their 92 while seeing Charlton play at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Be good for some fans who wanted to add Sutton to their 92 while seeing Charlton play at least.
    That well be me, current league ground 85.
  • Options
    Really pleased with these Friendlys. 

Dartford will be a new ground and I have never been to Sutton with Charlton although I went last year to recomplete my 92.
  • Options
    Sutton has the makings of a good day out. We went to Sutton v Port Vale on a sunny Saturday last October during the international break. It was probably the most enjoyable game I saw last season, with Sutton scoring two very late goals to prevail 4-3. A very pleasant, friendly atmosphere, with lots of kids in attendance and home supporters able to walk around two terraced sides of the ground. 

We don't know the area, but after a bit of research decided upon a few pre-match beers in a place in Sutton High Street, Shinner & Sudstone - https://shinnerandsudtone.co.uk/ - interesting beer, very characterful and a good spot for food. We bumped into to two fellow Charlton supporters, Jim and his dad, and popped into one of Jim's recommendations post-match, The Robin Hood - near the ground and very civilised indeed. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Drama on #cafc Twitter after Sutton’s OS mentioned we’ve agreed to split the gate receipts.

Easy to forget they’re going into their second L2 season and finished just outside the playoffs. It could have been a league game.

I understand why we’d let non-league clubs take 100%, but they’re a professional club in the division below us.
    We are their prestige friendly 
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Me too. And I saw that Brentford are hosting a Women's Euros game at 20:00 thst evening (think it's Denmark Spain) so I'm contemplating two new grounds in one day. 
  • Options
    Sadly wont be going to Sutton as it's on the Saturday of The Open from St Andrews. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Stewart said:
    Me too. And I saw that Brentford are hosting a Women's Euros game at 20:00 thst evening (think it's Denmark Spain) so I'm contemplating two new grounds in one day. 
    @RedPanda wanted me to do that game as he knew I have never been before. Now that the games are the same day I might consider it. 

Can’t see us playing Brentford away any time soon. 
  • Options
    Sadly wont be going to Sutton as it's on the Saturday of The Open from St Andrews. 
    Not that sad clearly. Golf over footy? Nah. Never. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    Apologies if mentioned before, I haven't seen it:

Tuesday 12 July:  Hampton & Richmond Borough v Charlton Athletic XI

A short trip from Central London and with a pub between station and ground.
    A cracking ground this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedPanda said:

That's another ground I'd like to visit - I had intended to watch Dartford play there, but was recovering from Covid. I assume that will be more of a U23 side we bring though?
  • Options
    surely we can squeeze Welling in on a week night like last year (only cause I can walk to the ground!)
  • Options
    A memory stirred of beating Sporting Lisborn away with Jacko heading the winner.
  • Options
    Charlton Athletic U23’s will be playing Deal Town on Saturday 2 July - that's good enough for me - hoping for a few trialists, might even take my boots just in case we haven't signed anyone
  • Options
    ricardom said:
    Charlton Athletic U23’s will be playing Deal Town on Saturday 2 July - that's good enough for me - hoping for a few trialists, might even take my boots just in case we haven't signed anyone
    Home or away?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    ricardom said:
    Home or away?
    Wembley, kick off 12 on police advice.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    ricardom said:
    Home or away?
    Down on the coast. 3pm kick off
  • Options
    Luton v Charlton. Under 23 friendly at Hitchin Town. Friday 5th August 7pm kick off
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Luton v Charlton. Under 23 friendly at Hitchin Town. Friday 5th August 7pm kick off
    Luton reserves normally play there?
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Thanks for posting. Will definitely pop down to that one, as it’s just down the road from us. The Jolly Coopers on High Street, Hampton, is the best pub in that area and less than 5 mins walk from the ground. It is not a particularly large pub but has a garden patio and does food from 5.

For anyone who likes good beer and is making a day (or half day) of it, the best pub in this neck of the woods is the Sussex Arms, just off Twickenham Green - it has a tremendous beer selection and a huge beer garden - https://www.thesussexarmstwickenham.co.uk/drinks