Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club honours or world cup?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Can people stop answering as a fan 

the question is clearly stated as a player what would you prefer 
    Calm down for goodness sake. It’s a stupid hypothetical question, let people answer however they like. 
  • Options

As a player it’s the  World Cup all day long 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    As a player I want to win both... No reason why I cant either - If I'm winning the World Cup, its likely I've won club honours otherwise there is a good chance I wont be picked for International Duty
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Same answer for me as a player, club before country so a full season of games in front of my own fans as apposed to winning the WC being cheered on by fans of loads of different clubs.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Same answer for me as a player, club before country so a full season of games in front of my own fans as apposed to winning the WC being cheered on by fans of loads of different clubs.

I'll take a straw poll of the Stoke first team to see what players think (when they get back to pre-season) - not that any of them have the remotest chance of winning the Pizza Cup let alone Champion's League, Premier League or World Cups!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:

I'll take a straw poll of the Stoke first team to see what players think (when they get back to pre-season) - not that any of them have the remotest chance of winning the Pizza Cup let alone Champion's League, Premier League or World Cups!
    Is this for real Bob or am I going to get whoooshed. If true it would be interesting to see their thoughts.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:

Is this for real Bob or am I going to get whoooshed. If true it would be interesting to see their thoughts.

Yes for real - I'll ask them.
  • Options
    Well, given England have won the World Cup more recently than Charlton have won the FA Cup, let alone the top division, I'd say doing 1 as a Charlton player would be a greater achievement than doing 2 as an England player, purely on rarity value. Obviously the calculation changes somewhat if you're Scottish or Welsh.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Well, given England have won the World Cup more recently than Charlton have won the FA Cup, let alone the top division, I'd say doing 1 as a Charlton player would be a greater achievement than doing 2 as an England player, purely on rarity value. Obviously the calculation changes somewhat if you're Scottish or Welsh.
    I don’t think a calculation exists for the Scottish and Welsh 😁
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:

Yes for real - I'll ask them.
    Lads, Anyone get that email from HR asking if we would rather win with Stoke or our countries….
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always club over country there have been decades when I have not watched England games.
  • Options
    So, who do I want fawning over me?
    1. A lot of people on here who I spend all day arguing with.
    or
    2. A bunch of Johnny Come Latelies who only show an interest in football when the world Cup is on.
    Suck it up folks, I'm gonna be your new sporting hero 😉
  • Options
    Anyone answering it as a fan is always going to say Option 1 - largely because Charlton have practically zero chance of ever doing it. Whereas England (assuming that’s who most people support) do have a chance of winning the World Cup each time it comes around.

Not really a fair comparison, and wasn’t even the question tbh.
  • Options
    the question didn’t specify which club you played for when you were gonna achieve something no domestic football club has ever achieved 
  • Options
    I am the OP. It’s a player centred question - a non specific club and a non specific nation.

Would you rather be a part of an undisputed greatest club team ever or win the World Cup with a national team.  
  • Options
    What’s the opinion of the players then @bobmunro ?
  • Options
    What’s the opinion of the players then @bobmunro ?
    They are all on the beach somewhere! I'll canvass views when they are back for pre-season.
  • Options
    Ah yes of course. What you don’t have a passport ?! ; ) 
  • Options
    Ah yes of course. What you don’t have a passport ?! ; ) 
    You are right to press Bob Kiwi, after all it has been 48 hours, poor show really. And also we need to take into account Bob is in HR so he must have access to contact details for the players meaning he could have turned this around.

B)B)  
  • Options
    Club easily, if it was my boyhood club that I was playing for. 

If I'm playing Oop North for a Middle-Eastern funded soulless team, then World Cup