Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is this Richie Bowman?

Wembley 1972 Cup final.

Centenary celebrations.

The guy holding the Derby placard is Steve Powell, then a Rams player, so I'm guessing it's a Charlton player is doing the same.

Comments

• edited May 2022
    It is Richie Bowman - he was one of my favourite players at the time
  • Could be Paddy Pimblett to be fair
  • Great picture that, I have the programme somewhere in the loft, swapped it for a shiny Wolves Panini sticker in the early 80's. 

'Charlton, Derby, Portsmouth, Sunderland' all potentially plying their trade in the third division next season 
  • I went to school with his son (who was a very nice chap!)
  • Yes,  that is Ritchie Bowman and he was 17 in that picture.
  • OK  - who else thought it was a young @ElfsborgAddick ?

• You can see what the fashionable hairstyle at the time was, as the guy in front has the same cut  :D
  • Didn’t he have a cafe around Blackfriars Bridge?
  • masicat said:
    Didn’t he have a cafe around Blackfriars Bridge?
    Sandwich shop in Hays Galleria opposite London Bridge
  • Sponsored links:

• masicat said:
    He sold it many years ago, was going out with his niece at the time so must have been pre 1997.
  • sorry to be pedantic - no T in Richie...
    Thanks, edited 
  • My old man was a gooner and was at this game (and the 71 final), I have the programmes boxed up somewhere in my loft

• Rob7Lee said:
    masicat said:
    He sold it many years ago, was going out with his niece at the time so must have been pre 1997.
    I saw him in there sometime in the mid-90s. I had two spells working near London Bridge, one in 1994, and the other in 1997/98, so I'm guessing it must have been during that first spell
  • I think an old player also once owned the cafe next to Blackfriars station on the bridge.  Any remember who. 
  • edited May 2022
    I see Portsmouth sent their YTS lad.

Me?  I like to look at the bigger picture.

Alan Taylor for West Ham?  His moment would come a little later.

I'm wondering ... does the front row with the flags might match the row behind.  In which case, who is our lad?
  • MrOneLung said:
    OK  - who else thought it was a young @ElfsborgAddick ?

nah, too tall
    The placard would be too heavy as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• The player who owned the cafe on Blackfriars Bridge was Alex Forbes ex Arsenal. 
  • Richard J said:
    I saw Richie Saturday during half time along with Arthur Horsfield. Both men were very friendly and enjoyed discussing their respective careers.

Richie never wanted to leave and blamed Andy Nelson for his departure. Arthur also told the story of how Nelson sold him to Watford. Apparently he did it over the phone. Like Richie Arthur didn't want to move so he asked for a 20% salary uplift even though the Hornets were two Divisions lower. To his surprise they gave it to him. I guess the context you need to give is that Elton John was bankrolling them.

Elton also played a role in helping Arthur move to Dartford. His uncle Reg Dwight was the Darts manager.

Think you mean Roy Dwight
  • Richard J said:
    I saw Richie Saturday during half time along with Arthur Horsfield. Both men were very friendly and enjoyed discussing their respective careers.

Richie never wanted to leave and blamed Andy Nelson for his departure. Arthur also told the story of how Nelson sold him to Watford. Apparently he did it over the phone. Like Richie Arthur didn't want to move so he asked for a 20% salary uplift even though the Hornets were two Divisions lower. To his surprise they gave it to him. I guess the context you need to give is that Elton John was bankrolling them.

Elton also played a role in helping Arthur move to Dartford. His uncle Reg Dwight was the Darts manager.

Think you mean Roy Dwight
    I do. Reg is Elton's real name
  • my old friend Richie in the picture,  a claim to fame, apart from playing for us...appearing at Wembley!
    But plenty of beer in George Best. 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    I see Portsmouth sent their YTS lad.

Me?  I like to look at the bigger picture.

Alan Taylor for West Ham?  His moment would come a little later.

I'm wondering ... does the front row with the flags might match the row behind.  In which case, who is our lad?
    Apart from the first one, the flags appear to agree with the second row. Maybe our flag holder is Bob Curtis?
  • I think that flag holder might be Dick Plumb