Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Meteorite over South east London, 16th May 2022

Anyone else see this at about 9.50pm? I was driving on Bob Dunn way, edge of Dartford, approaching the roundabout near the Thames recycle centre and saw what could have been mistaken for a fire work burning green at a low angle but very high. Would have been heading north westwards. Hard to tell how far away it was and how high. Considering the angle i was at to it, it could have been over Bexleyheath, Bromley, Carshalton or Portsmouth. Was out in a second.

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Lots of mentions of a meteorite on Twitter this evening. Some sightings in London, some as far as Oxford and even Bristol. All around the same time 9.45 to 9.50

Bright green, gone in seconds. All as your post swords 
  • Plenty of sightings and doorbell cam footage in the replies to this tweet. 

• our new manager flying in from mars
  • edited May 2022
    Martian Sandgaard?
  • edited May 2022
    The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one against.
  • Bet the dinosaurs were shitting themselves, and thinking: "Not again"

Some are still alive and are on CL; not you FA  B)
  • Shoulda redirected it to Selhurst 
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone else see this at about 9.50pm? I was driving on Bob Dunn way, edge of Dartford, approaching the roundabout near the Thames recycle centre and saw what could have been mistaken for a fire work burning green at a low angle but very high. Would have been heading north westwards. Hard to tell how far away it was and how high. Considering the angle i was at to it, it could have been over Bexleyheath, Bromley, Carshalton or Portsmouth. Was out in a second.

Yes, I saw the very same thing whilst in Sidcup last night. A fantastic sight. Does the light green colour define what the meteorite was made of?
  • Light green is the colour (some) iron ions burn, and iron content isn't exactly news in a meteorite 
  • Lots of mentions of a meteorite on Twitter this evening. Some sightings in London, some as far as Oxford and even Bristol. All around the same time 9.45 to 9.50

Bright green, gone in seconds. All as your post swords 
    Thanks @stackitsteve
    Agreed, @AIF was a fantastic sight.
  • Play off week…it’s probably Nicky Bailey’s penalty finishing its orbit cycle and returning to Earth.
    Bloody hell, not ANOTHER Nicky Bailey penalty joke ffs, how many more times is it gonna be coming back down to earth... ;)
  • Play off week…it’s probably Nicky Bailey’s penalty finishing its orbit cycle and returning to Earth.
    Bloody hell, not ANOTHER Nicky Bailey penalty joke ffs, how many more times is it gonna be coming back down to earth... ;)
    But still funny 😁 
  • Shoulda redirected it to Selhurst 
    Just met an Austrian Palarse supporter in Italy. He said he likes them because of the atmosphere. 
  • edited May 2022
    Bet the dinosaurs were shitting themselves, and thinking: "Not again"
    Nah.  They're still posting on the women in football thread 3 days later.
  • Leuth said:
    Light green is the colour (some) iron ions burn, 
    ...goes the shittest football song ever.