Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Room temperature for wine.

edited May 2022 in Not Sports Related
So, given that what is regarded as room temperature has changed over the decades due to central heating and other improvements to life, what is the correct temperature for red wine?

Comments

• Options
    You need to Google a Ted talk mate!
  • Options
    But room temperature is typically around 70 degrees, and the ideal serving temperature for red wine is anywhere between 60 and 68 degrees.
  • Options
    Straight out of the fridge.
  • Options
    You need to Google a Ted talk mate!
    Yes, I noticed the typo as you posted. And I haven’t had any drink yet!
  • Options
    Don't forget to open the bottle for an hour before you drink it to allow it to breath  :)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Any temperature really, but if it's very hot I prefer a sparkling wine.
  • Options
    I like a large chilled rose when its hot.
  • Options
    My understanding is that the correct temperature for red wine is cooler than you might think, so not a centrally heated room or indeed a warm room in summer
  • Options
    Of course you could always drink it at the temperature you prefer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It depends on the wine. For lighter bodied wines such a Beaujolais about 12-14 centigrade, medium bodied (e.g. rioja, most bordeaux) about 15-16, full bodied (shiraz etc) 17-18

Generally people serve reds too warm and whites too cold. If you keep a white in the fridge take it out half an hour before serving.
  • Options
    Ask Mick Everett 
    PROMOTE!
  • Options
    Don't forget to open the bottle for an hour before you drink it to allow it to breath  :)
    This does nothing unless you pour it into a decanter. You are giving air to a tiny bit of the surface of the wine
  • Options
    Ask Mick Everett 
    You’re a card ain’t you.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    It depends on the wine. For lighter bodied wines such a Beaujolais about 12-14 centigrade, medium bodied (e.g. rioja, most bordeaux) about 15-16, full bodied (shiraz etc) 17-18

Generally people serve reds too warm and whites too cold. If you keep a white in the fridge take it out half an hour before serving.
    Agreed, if white wine is too cold, you can't taste anything

Another misnomer is the temperature Real Ale should be served at, which is certainly not "warm beer". 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Straight out of the bottle on the way back from the off-licence 

• Options
    Straight out of the bottle on the way back from the off-licence 

Only if the establishment that I lifted the bottle from knew that keeping red wine in a fridge is the correct thing to do. A straw is optional.
  • Options
    Jints said:

I commend @Jints advice to everyone, he knows his wines. However the tricky bit is actually achieving those temperatures at the time you want to serve them. I’ve got this temperature measure thing that wraps around the bottle, but I’m always faffing around trying to get the right temperature. Not sure its worth it for everyday reds.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Ask Mick Everett 
    You’re a card ain’t you.
    No he’s not - you are a twat, trying to worm your way back in with a dismal thread, after a shit comment about a person who did superb work as an employee and supporter for Charlton Athletic FC over many years - and now to enjoy a nice retirement - remind us of what you did @iainment

Actually - I know the answer - it’s sweet FA 

Maybe you can disappear off to a cycling forum, make merry there …..
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Ask Mick Everett 
    You’re a card ain’t you.
    No he’s not - you are a twat, trying to worm your way back in with a dismal thread, after a shit comment about a person who did superb work as an employee and supporter for Charlton Athletic FC over many years - and now to enjoy a nice retirement - remind us of what you did @iainment

Well  said
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    Ask Mick Everett 
    You’re a card ain’t you.

What was so bad about my comment?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Ask Mick Everett 
    You’re a card ain’t you.

You know exactly where I am coming from - and your ‘no response’ to people calling you out on the Mick Everett thread speaks volumes - the comment ‘ you’re a card’ on this thread - you knew what @Henry Irving was referring to 

Your post on the Mick Everett thread was crass and pathetic 

Apologise and we can all move on 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Ask Mick Everett 
    You’re a card ain’t you.

It was completely unnecessary and insulting.

Rather like yourself.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Ask Mick Everett 
    You’re a card ain’t you.

You know exactly where I am coming from - and your ‘no response’ to people calling you out on the Mick Everett thread speaks volumes - the comment ‘ you’re a card’ on this thread - you knew what @Henry Irving was referring to 

What was so awful about what I said?
  • Options
    iainment said:
    So, given that what is regarded as room temperature has changed over the decades due to central heating and other improvements to life, what is the correct temperature for red wine?
    I’m sorry, I appear to have stumbled onto Fulham Life.
    If I could see the humour I would laugh. As it is there is none  .
    You should know.
  • Options
    Depends if one can pay the energy bill a d the time of year. Suggest red in summer and white in the winter.
    If I could see the humour I would laugh. As it is there is none.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    Ask Mick Everett 
    You’re a card ain’t you.

I chose not to respond as the pot would only get more agitated. But if you’re going to bring unrelated stuff onto my posts I suppose my attempt at tact was pointless.

• Options
    But room temperature is typically around 70 degrees, and the ideal serving temperature for red wine is anywhere between 60 and 68 degrees.
    I read that and wondered why you like hot wine. Then realised you work in different units to me C