Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace face points deduction after unprovoked assault by manager

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    There has definitely been an increase in anti social behaviour at football this season. Some have tried to put it down to the effect of lockdowns, which I guess there may have been some merit in at first, but it’s been a good year or so now.

I was at the darts last night and you had fights breaking out all over the place by the time it was finishing up. Suspect a lot of idiots were struggling to handle whatever they’d put into their bodies rather than truly being pent up by darts though.

Smartphone culture is a big influence. Would that idiot have been provoking Vieira if he couldn’t record it to show all his mates how brave he was? 
    I think people have had a lot of time to forget about what consequences feel like as well. The internet has always been full of trolls, but those trolls tend to be a bit less chatty in real life because you can't shout a vile death threat in someone's face without them reacting to it, probably violently. Social media allows people to say stuff they wouldn't have dreamt of saying in real life and allows people to end up in echo chambers where they're only told their behaviour is the right way to act. It's resulted in some people spending a huge amount of their time spouting pure, unchallenged abuse every day and I think it's normalised it as life behaviour instead of just internet stuff. You then unleash them outside and that kid was behaving like he would have if Patrick Vieira had posted a Tweet, except he forgot that actual Patrick Vieira is bigger than him.
    Agreed that abuse is being allowed to be normalised on social media. If you look at 95% of the trolls on Twitter for example - none of them have their real name/picture, probably because they know that what they are spouting isn’t a reflection of what they want to portray themselves as.

But then I do think you just get people who become thugs simply because it’s in their nature to turn up their emotions to the extreme in a group environment where they think they are protected. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    cfgs said:
    clb74 said:
    cfgs said:
    Not great by the young lad but shouting "Yessss your not very good, f@#k off!"  Is nowhere near as bad are some were predicting.  Doubt anything will happen but some action should be taken against Viera.
    Footballs a funny game.
    Anyway what would you or your firm do if someone came to your place of work and got in your face screaming you're not very good fuck off?
    As a firefighter it happens a lot more than you think, people that don't want us to put things out or youths that think it is funny to throw things and act up. If we even raise our voices let alone respond with aggression we would be suspended at the very least, but likely sacked.

I don't condone the supporter's actions but Viera has to be punished as otherwise it would make the next pitch invasion a bit tasty.  
    I think anyone in a public facing job is very likely to have similar stories.

Within the last week I've had someone right up in my face, giving me the finger, shouting and hollering about how effing thick, corrupt, unfair me and my colleague were, bashing and crashing the furniture about and generally being a totally unpleasant prick to deal with.

Had we reacted like Viera it's very likely we'd both be suspended right now whilst the matter was looked at. Much as we'd like to have responded to his goading us, that's where your professionalism kicks in.

It's completely understandable that people who are not subject to this sort of thing happening to them in their job are OK with Viera taking the twat's legs away but ultimately he's let the bloke get under his skin and reacted unprofessionally.

I'm a bit conflicted tbh. Whilst it's great to see him put on his backside Viera's probably going to regret it now.

It is a worrying concern that this seems to be increasing in frequency though.
  • Options
    I'd have done exactly the same in Vieria's position. That pitch is his place of work and he has a right to walk to the tunnel without being goaded by absolute idiots who he has never met, who shouldn't be on the pitch in the first place. We all know 99% of football fans are decent folk however we also know there is a minority who are absolute idiots and yobs like the fan goading Vieira. He had no idea of that fans intentions and if your stupid enough to enter a pitch illegally, stupid enough to goad an opposition manager, then who is to know what other stupid things he might have done.

Dion Dublin had it right on Sky last night, an announcement should be made over the tannoys that anyone entering the pitch will be banned for life for the ground and fans can then make an informed choice on whether they wish to proceed or not. It would stop overnight if fans knew that entering the pitch was the last time they'd be allowed entry into the stadium.

As an aside, those scenes last night were one of the most embarrising things I have seen in football. The fact Everton football club have fans on the pitch celebrating dodging relegation shows what how far they have fallen as a club. And the media hyping up the rhetoric that all those Everton players were 'heroes' is an absolute joke. If they'd put half of the amount of effort they put in last night in the other 36 Premier league games they've played this season they'd be nowhere near relegation.

They should have hung their heads in shame at the final whistle and issued an apology to each and every Everton fan for stealing a wage this season. 
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2022

Dion Dublin had it right on Sky last night, an announcement should be made over the tannoys that anyone entering the pitch will be banned for life for the ground and fans can then make an informed choice on whether they wish to proceed or not. It would stop overnight if fans knew that entering the pitch was the last time they'd be allowed entry into the stadium.
    It will never happen though will it? It's been a criminal offence to go on the pitch since 1991, how many people get arrested for doing it when thousands go on?

Mass pitch invasions should equal sanctions on the clubs (points/stadium closures) and then it will stop.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    WSS said:

It will never happen though will it? It's been a criminal offence to go on the pitch since 1991, how many people get arrested for doing it?

Mass pitch invasions should equal sanctions on the clubs (points/stadium closures) and then it will stop.

I'm pretty confident if you entered the pitch on any other occasion other than the scenes we have seen recently you'd be locked up and/or have your season ticket revoked. Of course the police can't lock up 2000 fans if they run on the pitch, and clubs can't employ 1000 stewards to physically stop fans coming on, but police/clubs can identify them all pretty easily and issue them banning orders.

Sanctions on the clubs are totally unfair on the majority of fans who behave reasonably. Why should stadiums be closed and the majority of sensible fans miss out on being able to attend a match because the people next to them can't control themselves enough to not run on the pitch.
  • Options
    If Charlton survived relegation last game of the season in league one and I bothered to attend the match.

If against Oxford...I'd join in with the dramatic pitch invasion. Accidentally aggressively run towards Karl Robinson. Stop, pause and just "alright mate" nod my head, walk off and return to my seat on the west stand. Hoping someone hasn't accidentally booted my Bovril while enjoying the moment.

No need to take it too far.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2022
    WSS said:

It will never happen though will it? It's been a criminal offence to go on the pitch since 1991, how many people get arrested for doing it?

I'm pretty confident if you entered the pitch on any other occasion other than the scenes we have seen recently you'd be locked up and/or have your season ticket revoked. Of course the police can't lock up 2000 fans if they run on the pitch, and clubs can't employ 1000 stewards to physically stop fans coming on, but police/clubs can identify them all pretty easily and issue them banning orders.

Sanctions on the clubs are totally unfair on the majority of fans who behave reasonably. Why should stadiums be closed and the majority of sensible fans miss out on being able to attend a match because the people next to them can't control themselves enough to not run on the pitch.
    And that's why I mentioned "mass" invasions. Individuals always get pulled but it's just not worth it for police/the clubs in terms of resources. Identifying and banning 2000 people is not that easy, is it?

Why would a club help to do that as well to their own fans? Especially in the lower leagues where they'll effectively permanently reduce their attendances and revenue?
  • Options
    WSS said:
    WSS said:

And that's why I mentioned "mass" invasions. Individuals always get pulled but it's just not worth it for police/the clubs in terms of resources. Identifying and banning 2000 people is not that easy, is it?

Why would a club help to do that as well to their own fans? Especially in the lower leagues where they'll effectively permanently reduce their attendances and revenue?
    Your right that clubs wouldn't do it voluntarily, but it should be an automatic requirement from the Premier League/EFL etc that clubs ban anyone entering the pitch. I'm not an expert so could be wrong, but I assume if someone throws a coin at a player, or hurls racist abuse, or handcuffs themselves to a post then the authorities would dictate that clubs have to ban these fans. Or if the authorities don't have that power, they would simply exert enough pressure on clubs that they had to do it anyway.

The issue is this will just continue to happen because it's to much hassle and aggravation for the people responsible to deal with it and everyone will just hope nothing serious happens. The scenes recently are absolute madness and players are well within their rights to be kicking up a fuss about it. They are essentially being put at risk in their workplace. 

Everyone knows you shouldn't enter a pitch. There are signs all over the place at every ground. Stewards sat at the side of the pitch stopping you entering. If fans can't control themselves and follow simple instructions which are for everyone's safety then they shouldn't be allowed in the ground.

• Options
    The only embarrassing pitch invasion this season was Millwall’s. Still don’t know why they did it ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The only embarrassing pitch invasion this season was Millwall’s. Still don’t know why they did it ? 
    Celebrating the end of their probation 🤷‍♂️😉
  • Options
    He should have to kick at least 10 Palace fans as his punishment.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    It is a shame as the pitch invasion after Doncaster was a special moment. But if you have say a thousand people, it is impossible not to have a few brain dead pissed up wankers within that spoiling things. So yes, I can see a clamp down too. Viera should not face any sanction. The fan shouldn't have been there doing what he was doing and had it coming. In fact, he had more coming than he got.
  • Options
    Personally I’m glad PV kicked the little shit. Why should someone be expected to just take that kind of moronic abuse just because they’re high profile. If it was up to me Biera would get a slapped wrist and the scummy Everton fan should be banned for 5 years.
  • Options
    What did they do to Brian Clough after he smacked a few pitch invaders? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Pitch invasions:

- You win an FA Cup game at home against a team at least three divisions higher than you
    - You get promoted
    - You avoid relegation from an almost impossible position (so, not Everton)

Anything else is tinpot
    You missed out:

- There’s a sofa needs destroying. 
    That is reserved for real heroes of the struggle 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I can't stand pitch invasions. I hate when other clubs do it and I hate that we've started doing it as well - as if we were missing out on something. Let the players have their space from the absolute melons that exist in every stand around the country because this is the kind of thing that will happen. I got no satisfaction from this even knowing it was Palace/Viera. It's just idiotic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Pitch invasions:

- You win an FA Cup game at home against a team at least three divisions higher than you
    - You get promoted
    - You avoid relegation from an almost impossible position (so, not Everton)

Anything else is tinpot
    You missed out:

- There’s a sofa needs destroying. 
    That is reserved for real heroes of the struggle 
    Did you ever get that sponsorship deal with DFS?😉
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    I recall he ended up kissing them.
  • Options
    Used to have pitch invasions all the time decades ago. Granted it was mainly kids and teenagers who would go on after the final whistle. Bloody hooligans. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I can't stand pitch invasions. I hate when other clubs do it and I hate that we've started doing it as well - as if we were missing out on something. Let the players have their space from the absolute melons that exist in every stand around the country because this is the kind of thing that will happen. I got no satisfaction from this even knowing it was Palace/Viera. It's just idiotic.

If Liverpool win the league on sunday - The pitch will get invaded.

Close to being fact 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Got a longish touchline ban
  • Options
    He's far too good for that stripey Surrey shit stain of a club.

Scouse bashing as well?
  • Options
    A pertinent quote it feels...

• Options
    This is interesting hearing people in jobs where interaction with the great British public is necessary 

I do and I fucking hate it! We have to go on de-escalation training, emotional intelligence training, how to respond to threats and violence including a memorable course from the late 2000s on how to escape, evade and tackle dangerous dogs that included an opportunity to be "bitten" by a German shepherd with a head the size.of a crocodile. Funnily enough none of us went for that 

I've got a fairly long thread, with idiots and general loud simpletons I just engage as little as I have to as a rule and do nothing to invite conversation, conflict. If some drunk at lunchtime wants to play me a harmonica (happened about 2 weeks ago) I won't tell them to fuck off and grow up, I'll let them play their silly instrument and go "well done mate, you're really good" and they fuck off

When I get someone unhappy with work we are doing I have the emotional intelligence to listen and see if I can sort out a solution for them and I'm fairly good at de-escalating however if someone is intent on screaming and shouting at me I have no problem of pointing out before anything else I'm a human being and regardless of who I work for I am not payed to be verbally abused. Ive had managers in earshot of me dealing with some of the more gobby members of the public when my patience thread has been breached and my responses have included  "Hang on, I dont come to your place of work and knock the sailors cocks out of your mouth" 
    "I don't come into your front room and tell you how to watch Jeremy Kyle" 
    "Before I say anything further, are you happy for me to say it in the same way you have just been talking to me" 

The first two I cant claim as my own work, one I heard a policeman say and the other was a comedian sorting out a heckler, see of you can guess who used which one 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    What I'm saying is i completely support any footballer, manager or otherwise member of staffs right to protect themselves, they didn't cause the situation, if a fan is stupid enough to think actions don't have consequences him booting them up the arse will be a tiny lesson to them. Its about time frontline workers were actually protected rather than pilloried and expected to just accept abuse and when challenging it be guilty until proven innocent. I get you can't go round smashing everyone in the head who disagrees with you but I'm not having anyone scream in my face or threaten me without being able to defend myself 
    Yep. There is showing professionalism and remaining calm and trying to defuse the situation with a member of the public, I get that, but then there is a line that gets crossed where professionalism goes out the window and the giver gets a taste of their own medicine.