Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin, data, coaching etc etc

Comments

• Options
    "MS attempted to make a change to training".
    What exactly did he attempt to do?
    The above could mean very different things, from something quite minor to something very disturbing?
    5 hours and still waiting as expected.
  • Options
    I prefer ABBA
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Does he know how to do a vlookup?
    INDEX MATCH instead will change your life. 
    I've always put off learning how to use index and match, I really should get around to it.

I bet Martin has been using it for years.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    SamB09 said:
    I've always put off learning how to use index and match, I really should get around to it.

He invented it
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    To be fair, pairing INDEX MATCH with IF ERROR and watching a column of values appear in one sheet pulled from another is up there with the birth of my children and the two play off final wins to make up the top5
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    To be fair, pairing INDEX MATCH with IF ERROR and watching a column of values appear in one sheet pulled from another is up there with the birth of my children and the two play off final wins to make up the top5
    IF ERROR is second only to a nested IF, the more the merrier.

=IF(a1=>20, "Striker"(IF(AND(a1=>19,A1<5)"Midfielder",IF(a1=>4,"Defender",,)))))

A1=goals.

That probably won't work but never mind......
  • Options
    Shit. Next question 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    SamB09 said:
    IF ERROR is second only to a nested IF, the more the merrier.

=IF(a1=>20, "Striker"(IF(AND(a1=>19,A1<5)"Midfielder",IF(a1=>4,"Defender",,)))))

A1=goals.

That probably won't work but never mind......
    You can ifs instead of nested ifs 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excel is old hat now anyway, get on Power BI 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Just downloaded that last week. Haven’t used it yet though, can you use excel formulas in it? 
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    LouisMend said:
    Just downloaded that last week. Haven’t used it yet though, can you use excel formulas in it? 
    At the risk of derailing the thread, no you use DAX formulas but once you get the hang of it they are pretty straightforward. Some good YouTube videos on a channel called Pragmatic Works to get you started.
  • Options
    Never heard of him…
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    SamB09 said:

He invented it
    Completed it
  • Options
    God I f*cking hate Power BI. Glorified Excel that unnecessarily complicates basic tasks. Python however 😁
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    SamB09 said:
    LouisMend said:
    At the risk of derailing the thread, no you use DAX formulas but once you get the hang of it they are pretty straightforward. Some good YouTube videos on a channel called Pragmatic Works to get you started.
    But if you insist on using it, then Guy in a Cube videos are useful. 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    SamB09 said:
    LouisMend said:
    Data is in the thread title......

Power BI is brilliant but excel still has a place for quick and dirty stuff.  I say bring back Access :-)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Can we talk about trains as yet another thread is derailed.

Question:
    Isn't it important that players have confidence in the people involved in major decisions at the club ? Especially if you are seen at Sparrows lane on a daily or regular basis ?

If I found out by a chance encounter with a player then the Journalists on CL and others must've had direct talks with players, coaches, staff or live next door or in their social circle and know there is puzzlement with Martin Sandgaard and his role at Cafc.

It makes sense from Thomas Sandgaard's point of view to have Martin there since GED Roddy left. That isn't the problem but if major player decisions are being made by either Martin or Thomas and Steve Gallen and the new manager( Garner or whoever ! are just nodding dogs then there are major issues ahead yet again)

Nigel Adkins who would be great company outside of football, lost his positivity when discussing the committee way of recruiting when on two Zoom meeting I witnessed.
    He just said he knew what to expect and as long as the manager had a say. No smile on his face when he said it.

• Options
    Can we talk about trains as yet another thread is derailed.

Question:
    Isn't it important that players have confidence in the people involved in major decisions at the club ? Especially if you are seen at Sparrows lane on a daily or regular basis ?

If I found out by a chance encounter with a player then the Journalists on CL and others must've had direct talks with players, coaches, staff or live next door or in their social circle and know there is puzzlement with Martin Sandgaard and his role at Cafc.

It makes sense from Thomas Sandgaard's point of view to have Martin there since GED Roddy left. That isn't the problem but if major player decisions are being made by either Martin or Thomas and Steve Gallen and the new manager( Garner or whoever ! are just nodding dogs then there are major issues ahead yet again)

Nigel Adkins who would be great company outside of football, lost his positivity when discussing the committee way of recruiting when on two Zoom meeting I witnessed.
    He just said he knew what to expect and as long as the manager had a say. No smile on his face when he said it.

I think it's more important that players have the confidence of those above them.  How would a player feel knowing the manager doesn't want you and was told to like it or lump it?

The problem we had last summer, imo, was on paper we ended up with a decent, well balanced, squad.  In that we had 4 full backs, 4 center backs, 4 wingers etc etc.  That's how you play championship manager.

What we didn't have is many of the things that make a good team.  Most of which Adkins actually highlighted on the Zoom call.  We had almost zero on any of the other stuff.

We lacked physical presence, pace, hight, set peice delivery, leadership, players that could nick a goal.

That's why, without being world beaters, Stockley, Washington, CBT, Inniss, Aneke and Pearce made such a difference when they played.  Without them we had none of those things.  Even if they all were lacking in other areas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "MS attempted to make a change to training".
    What exactly did he attempt to do?
    The above could mean very different things, from something quite minor to something very disturbing?
    5 hours and still waiting as expected.
    Perhaps some people have other things to do than post on CL all day every day? I was driving most of Friday and chipping in when in the passenger seat.

Sandgaard junior’s intervention was to ask the playing management to make the players train for longer each day. Their reaction was based on the view that he is neither qualified nor competent to make that intervention. 
    Just Wow.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    24 hours of people speculating MS stormed into a training session to demand they work on back heels, because Airman Brown only had enough time to drop a crumb of misleading info as he clearly didn't have enough time to fully furnish the sentence with the crucial detail. Sure thing.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sometime ago I said if I was manager I would tell/suggest that if Morgan can spend a certain amount of time in the afternoon not only practicing his set pieces (decent) but his shooting with a moving ball (poor) it would make him hard to drop where with his inability to hit the target he is easy to drop. The same with Alex Gilbey who has the template to be a good player at this level ( Ipswich home match MOM) but goes walk about and disengages his brain at times ( Lincoln home match as well as an away game where he was on a yellow card and he kicked the ball away, but he was lucky as he was given a final warning not a 2nd yellow unlike the Lincoln game and I predicted after his first yellow he wouldn't survive the 90 minutes; he didn't survive 45!

I just assumed that players would realize that the more dedicated you are the more you get out of your career. I guess that's the difference with the top players and the also ran's. 

Why wouldn't you hone your skills even if you had to have lunch at Sparrows and then practice and Practice for a couple of hours in the afternoon for even just one day a week ? Most of us would've given our right arms to be professional footballers ( not if we were keepers !)

Of course it shouldn't take the Owners son to suggest longer training sessions but players wanting to be better should always be the goal; Shouldn't it ?

The way the players celebrated being given a day off with Jacko was amusing but could be interpreted as players that see football just as a job ?
  • Options
    Thanks, so he didn't make an attempt to change the training techniques, but to make the players train for longer.
    How long were they training for and how much longer did he want them to train for?
    Do you know how long Charlton trained last season in relation to similar clubs?
    Thanks. 
     No idea but it’s exactly what you’d expect a layperson with no football background to put forward.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Thanks, so he didn't make an attempt to change the training techniques, but to make the players train for longer.
    How long were they training for and how much longer did he want them to train for?
    Do you know how long Charlton trained last season in relation to similar clubs?
    Thanks. 

Great questions @Covered End

I would love to watch and listen to training sessions at Sparrows lane not only in the couple of hours in the morning but who stays for extra training in the afternoon because they want to be the best they can be ?  

I  have been lucky to watch training sessions at youth levels with pro coaches and they have to keep it light hearted at times but also let the academy players (independent academy* with good record of getting youngsters into pro clubs) know when to get to work with the various drills. You can spot the kids that really want the pro contracts and others that love playing matches but don't want to do the hard yards in training.

*Joe Aribo spent 3 years there and he played his 68th game of the season for Nigeria v Mexico last night in Arlington, Texas !