Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor McGrandles signs a three year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    So Garner has told him he will be playing an attacking role. Does that mean two attacking midfielders (with Fraser the other) and Dobson behind?
    It depends what shape/formation we end up playing. There's JFC to put into contention too depending on his fitness.
    If it's 4231 or 352, the central midfield is still that triangle of 3. 

I wonder if he might see JFC as Dobson's competition given Jake likes to drop deep to receive the ball.
    Although a lot depends on if you play a 1 and a 2 or a 2 and a 1.  We played both today.  Swindon predominantly played a 1 and a 2 last season, like we did under Jackson.  That said I think our most "similar to Swindon" midfield 3 currently would be

JFC
         Fraser       McGrandles 

Getting the midfield 3 right, with competition and flexibility is going to be the most interesting, and potentially controversial, talking point before the Accrington game.  IMO.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    So Garner has told him he will be playing an attacking role. Does that mean two attacking midfielders (with Fraser the other) and Dobson behind?
    It depends what shape/formation we end up playing. There's JFC to put into contention too depending on his fitness.

I wonder if he might see JFC as Dobson's competition given Jake likes to drop deep to receive the ball.
    Although a lot depends on if you play a 1 and a 2 or a 2 and a 1.  We played both today.  Swindon predominantly played a 1 and a 2 last season, like we did under Jackson.  That said I think our most "similar to Swindon" midfield 3 currently would be

JFC
         Fraser       McGrandles 

Getting the midfield 3 right, with competition and flexibility is going to be the most interesting, and potentially controversial, talking point before the Accrington game.  IMO.
    Dobson dropped?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:

JFC
         Fraser       McGrandles 

Dobson dropped?
    Like I said controversial but you can make a case for it can't you?

I wouldn't say dropped but for all intents and purposes none of those 3 played for us last season.  New manager etc etc.  

You could perm the 4 of them into 3 in multiple ways, but that's the most similar to Swindon's approach last season.
  • Options
    You could, and there’s an argument for not wanting Dobson and JFC playing together too.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    You could, and there’s an argument for not wanting Dobson and JFC playing together too.
    I want to see Dobson play in a double pivot a few times in preseason because, for some reason, I don't think he can.  We seemed to play Dobson, Clare and Morgan in different combination of roles last preseason and then went with the one that worked least well once the season started.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Can we alsoplay Clayden behind Kirk to see if the latter magically transforms when he plays alongside a pacey overlapping full back?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:

JFC
         Fraser       McGrandles 

Dobson dropped?
    Like I said controversial but you can make a case for it can't you?

I wouldn't say dropped but for all intents and purposes none of those 3 played for us last season.  New manager etc etc.  

You could perm the 4 of them into 3 in multiple ways, but that's the most similar to Swindon's approach last season.
    Dobson out because one assumes that McGrandles must be better but Fraser in on the basis of his Mk Dons form .  Don’t see it .  
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Can we alsoplay Clayden behind Kirk to see if the latter magically transforms when he plays alongside a pacey overlapping full back?
    He looked better with Fraser inside him as well.  Maybe that is a trio we will try on the next game.  Mandela offered little going forward,  but not surprising all things considered.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Thought Kirk was our best player in the second half today personally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Scoham said:
    If we are taking the game seriously , we lost to Kilmarnock. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Scoham said:
    Pre-season fitness session, nothing at stake, time to experiment.

What were you expecting?

• Options
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:

Said during the match that JFC could become our DM - but not necessarily our defensive midfielder. 

There's no law that says the player that occupies that space just in front, shielding the defence HAS to be the midfield battler type. Think, Pirlo and Italy.  When they played a midfield 3 Pirlo would be the one in front of CB's with one and sometimes both of Gattuso and De Rossi either side of him both of those being the more battler and tackler type, but that allowed Pirlo float around that DM space, pick up the ball and do what he did best in calmly and cooly turn and pick out passes. Gattuso/ De Rossi weren't there to shield the defence, they were there to protect Pirlo. 

Of course we won't be playing the likes of Brazil so:

At home
              JFC 
    Dobson  Fraser 

Those tough away games
               JFC
    Dobson McGrandles

Dobson gets to do what he does best, face the oppo, charge down etc. JFC, being the link in passing from defence to midfield.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    He looked better with Fraser inside him as well.  Maybe that is a trio we will try on the next game.  Mandela offered little going forward,  but not surprising all things considered.
    where's the kenneth williams picture????
    'ere ya go then...

"Carry On Regardless"... ;)
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    where's the kenneth williams picture????
    This place is going downhill!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    wmcf123 said:
    Jac_52 said:
    Scoham said:
    Pre-season fitness session, nothing at stake, time to experiment.

What were you expecting?

Yes, I am well aware .  My comment was in response to someone bigging up the performance of Kirk
  • Options
    Even though it's a friendly we should still be concerned about any player that plays shit!

Bad touch, lazy in posession, not wanting to impress the new manager etc should be a cause for slight concern!
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Even though it's a friendly we should still be concerned about any player that plays shit!

Bad touch, lazy in posession, not wanting to impress the new manager etc should be a cause for slight concern!
    Bad touch is very forgivable early in pre season, but laziness or hiding I agree.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I agree.
    I am fed up with our performances and results in the last couple of years.
    Players who are poor, even at this stage, need to have it pointed out otherwise they may get complacent and not strive to improve.
    Similarly the whole squad losing yesterday to a terrible goal should not be shrugged off, but the football side should be pissed off.
    Sets the tone.
    A pre season friendly is still a match, and we didn’t match up because we lost, why play football of this kind if the result and performance doesn’t matter? You could’ve simply had a joint Kilmarnock/Charlton training session.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oops, thought this was the pre season thread.
  • Options
    Nurse ......nurse .....!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
     >:) 
  • Options
    He's got rather spindly legs. Fear they could snap in a tough tackle.

Hopefully he's already been on the phone to Peter crouch. 

His legs survived many battles