Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Graham Tutt Memorial Service and live streaming

Graham's family have asked me to pass on a couple of messages. Firstly, they would like to thank everyone for their kind words about Graham. They are touched that so many people remember him and the kindness shown towards Graham has helped them in their grief. Secondly, they wanted me to convey details about the memorial service, chiefly because it will be streamed live for anyone who would like to follow it and a link will be provided nearer the time. The details of the service itself are:

Date: Saturday 30th July 2022
Time: 15:00 (US time)
Place: Mayes Ward, Dobbins Funeral Home, 180 Church Street, Marietta, Georgia, USA

Finally, a couple of younger fans have asked me why Graham's story is an important one in the context of Charlton's history. I think the answer lies in the shocking circumstances of his tragic injury at Sunderland in February 1976, the fact he was so young and showing great potential and the dignity and determination he demonstrated in attempting to rebuild his career after it, even when it became clear he was never going to regain the eyesight to enable him to play at the top level of the game. 

The significance of this injury in the context of Charlton's history was recognised and well-documented by the likes of Colin Cameron, Richard Redden, Rick Everitt and others in various books and publications. 

I have also had messages of support from across football including John Motson who was commentating at Sunderland for Match of the Day in 1976 and Tom Finney, the Sunderland player involved in the injury. I am delighted to say that Graham fully forgave Tom, showed no bitterness or remorse and the two of them were able to communicate again as recently as last year.

Comments