Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Name the Players

Undated but probably late 1950s Charlton Colts side.

Marvin Hinton with ball and Peter Croker far right but stumped over all the others.

Photo found in museum 

Comments

• Options
    Don Townsend back row far left?
  • Options
    Don't know his name but the guy on the left was once heard saying "we have vays of making you walk"
  • Options
    Was with Peter Croker's son a few weeks ago - we used to play football together in a team where he was the keeper. At 6' 6" he had the right physique for the job but not that of a wicket keeper, a job he was very good at 'til his knees and back started to give him issues.
  • Options
    What does everyone appear to have bigger ears back then?
  • Options
    short back and sides
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    No.
    Agreed ... it's not Don Townsend.

Struggling with this, @Henry Irving.

• Options
    edited July 2022

If this was in the Marvin Hinton era then all I can say is that I don’t recognise one single player, except for Marvin that is.
    This must have been very much a reserve team of some nature, no first team players there whatsoever………………as far as I can tell.
  • Options
    It's, as said in the OP, the Colts side @SoundAsa£
  • Options
    The Hinton/Croker overlap is the interesting one, and should help date this.

Hinton (born 2 Feb 1940) made his Charlton debut in 1957.

Croker (born 21 Dec 1921) was with us until 1952, so their dates don't overlap.

It's definitely Hinton, but are you sure about Croker?  Does he look 19 years older than Hinton in that picture?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croker had various roles with the club after he retired as a player.

He's not in the photo as a player but as a scout or coach.

It's a Colts, ie youth side, in any case.
  • Options
    Ant McPartlin in goal
  • Options
    Ant McPartlin in goal
    Next to an angry Boris Johnson
  • Options
    Derby County are signing up younger looking players than these colts.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    We already have a copy, or at least one of our trustees does. We lost 1 - 3 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    We already have a copy, or at least one of our trustees does. We lost 1 - 3 
    Ah, OK.

So ... my idea was to get a list of potential names from that programme, recognising that a couple of years can be a long time in youth football.

Much easier then to ask "Is this player X?" rather than "Who is this player?".
  • Options
    I think it is true to say that Peter Croker founded or established or administered what was the ‘South East Counties League’ , which was a league for London and beyond youth teams at professional clubs.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think it is true to say that Peter Croker founded or established or administered what was the ‘South East Counties League’ , which was a league for London and beyond youth teams at professional clubs.
    For those that aren't aware, Peter's brother, Ted, also played for Charlton and went on to become Secretary of the Football Association. Ted's grandson is Eric Dier though Ted died two years before Eric was born.
  • Options

Pardon. Sorry it had to be done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Regular clips round the ear cause deformation of lug 'oles.

Kids today don't know how lucky they are.
  • Options
    Back left is walter white 

• Options
    If that is Peter Croker he was youth team manager starting 1956. Marvin Hinton made his first team debut in 1957, so I would guess that the photo is 1956 or 1957. Could the goalie be Eddie Marsh?
  • Options
    If that is Peter Croker he was youth team manager starting 1956. Marvin Hinton made his first team debut in 1957, so I would guess that the photo is 1956 or 1957. Could the goalie be Eddie Marsh?
    Thanks  @thetomahawkkid

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Wilson Edmund Marsh ... born 14 Dec 1927.

Another 30 year-old colt.  Hmmm.

• Options
    No
  • Options
    Is the player to the right of Marvin Hinton Roy Matthews perhaps?
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    Is the player to the right of Marvin Hinton Roy Matthews perhaps?
    I have to say no.
  • Options
    The following link may help if anyone has time to find old photos of the players listed:

https://www.11v11.com/teams/charlton-athletic/tab/players/season/1957/

My guess is that the photo was a pre-season, or early season photo for 1956/57 season, so taken July/August 1956? Anyone know if there was an age limit on the Colts, or is it just a reserves team?

I agree that the goalie doesn't really look much like Eddie Marsh (my previous suggestion), and he would have been 28 at the time, but what about Frank Reed?

Also, a couple of other suggestions (guesses based on old photos): Bobby Ayre (right of Hinton); Ken Chamberlain (left of goalie); Syd Ellis (two to left of goalie).

I should point out that I wasn't born at the time so can't claim to have seen any of these playing, just based on old pictures.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    That was in the day when men could fly!

Short back and sides?