Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

fuel prices .9 of what ???

Started this because of a question posed by one of my children. Asked what the price of fuel was dominated in, as the price is now 199.9 for diesel in & around where we live.  Of course I answered "its in pence". To which the reply was.....  " ok, I understand the 199 (sort of) but what's the .9. We don't have .9 of a pence"

so ladies & gents, if we could just buy just 1 litre of fuel, how much would I be paying the cashier, assuming I have the correct money or if I only have a fiver on me how much change should I be expecting back ?

Comments

• I assume calibration in petrol stations is always wrong and a rip off anyway.
    I don’t trust the amount counter to be accurate. It might say 20 litres but who would even know beyond a trading standards officer?
    I think petrol stations have been coining it during the crisis.
    I have also seen different prices on the signs to prices on the delivery machine for the same fuel.
  • seth plum said:
    I assume calibration in petrol stations is always wrong and a rip off anyway.
    I don’t trust the amount counter to be accurate. It might say 20 litres but who would even know beyond a trading standards officer?
    I have also seen different prices on the signs to prices on the delivery machine for the same fuel.
    That would be illegal, surely, based on false advertising?
  • edited July 2022
    When I came out to Italy on 29 May, UK petrol was cheaper than Italian petrol. Mind you, I always got mine in COSTCO. When I return that looks like it will no longer be the case. Just filled up at 1.97 euros a litre of E5 (google online converter says this is £1.67). They don't seem to have E10 here. San Marino, btw, is 1.87 euros (£1.58) but I presume that is to do with it being a bit of a tax haven.
  • you dont buy petrol by volume, you buy petrol by price. 

bit like if a pick and mix in a shop is £1 per 100g what happens if you buy 89.5g - you cannot pay 89.5pence
  • sam3110 said:
    seth plum said:
    It's illegal if the totum is a lower price.  You can reduce the price during trading hours but have to shut to increase it. 

It happened to me the other day but hardly made a difference. 
  • sam3110 said:
    seth plum said:
    Absolutely.
    When I've pointed that out once I've got to the front of a shuffling and impatient queue I am met with a shrug, or once some mumbled excuse about the signage technology being faulty.
  • MrOneLung said:
    you dont buy petrol by volume, you buy petrol by price. 

bit like if a pick and mix in a shop is £1 per 100g what happens if you buy 89.5g - you cannot pay 89.5pence
    why not  ?  If, as you say, its £1 for 100g & you buy 89.5g then 89.5p is what you pay. Or are retailers everywhere making money on false pricing. Think how much is being made by "rounding"
  • MrOneLung said:

why not  ?  If, as you say, its £1 for 100g & you buy 89.5g then 89.5p is what you pay. Or are retailers everywhere making money on false pricing. Think how much is being made by "rounding"
    If you can weight out 89.5g of pick and mix I'll give you the money myself 😜 
  • edited July 2022
    MrOneLung said:

If it really bothers you that much I will send you a couple of .9s in the post.
  • Sponsored links:

• You'd pay £2. Petrol stations always round up.
  • cafcpolo said:
    You'd pay £2. Petrol stations always round up.
    Then why it is advertised as 199.9. Just sell is at £2 and be done with it.

We don't even have currency at .9p so why is it advertised as such. Nowhere else is a commodity priced at a price that is not possible. You don't see Lurpak butter on the shelves for 205.7.  It's just illogical & downright theft.
  • Go to the deli counter - lots of meat, cheese, even olives are sold at a price per weight.
    what happens if the weight is not an exact weight to the gram - is that also theft ?
  • Jeez. This thread.

I blame the heat.
  • Sold in whole penny increments. So whilst 199.9 pence would buy a litre, you'd either buy 199 pence or 200 pence worth and end up with 1.0005 litres. 

Except you won't because pumps aren't that accurate. They're actually allowed to undersell within a tolerance of -0.5% to +1%. 

FML 
  • Off_it said:
    Jeez. This thread.

I blame the heat.
    Yep. Not quite up there with Washing Up Fantasies or Vocal Fry, but another great WTF moment from Charlton Life.
  • cafcpolo said:
    You'd pay £2. Petrol stations always round up.
    Then why it is advertised as 199.9. Just sell is at £2 and be done with it.

We don't even have currency at .9p so why is it advertised as such. Nowhere else is a commodity priced at a price that is not possible. You don't see Lurpak butter on the shelves for 205.7.  It's just illogical & downright theft.
    You're not wrong.

I won't be saying that again

• Billy_Mix said:
    Off_it said:
    Jeez. This thread.

I blame the heat.
    It's not the heat
    It's just halfwits, trouble makers and conspiracy crackpots

199.9 pence per litre means if you buy 50 litres you'll be charged £99.95 not £100
    The pumps and the tills should  only round up to the next whole penny when the delivered value rises past .50p 

Of far greater significance: Petroleum spirit expands quite a lot with temperature i.e. the molecules take up more space at 25C than they do at 15C -  the fuel you buy is sold by volume in litres, ergo you'll get more molecules for your money if you fill up when the weather's cooler.  At the moment, fill up early morning or late evening rather than midday, your vehicle will go further per £1.

The accuracy of the pumps is monitored routinely but the permitted error factor is bigger than you might hope (can't find the current margin).  It seems unlikely that the retailers are unable to cream off an extra % or 2 

The theoretical 1 litre of fuel at 199.9 pence per litre would correctly cost you £2.  Minimum delivery used to be a gallon, now it's at least 2 litres, if not 4.  Filling your little red can for the lawnmower/chainsaw is effectively gonna cost you £2/litre.  "Ripping you off" at a maximum rate of 0.05% or £1 in every £2000, this declines the larger the volume  you buy.  Virtually nothing is or can be routinely measured to that degree of accuracy
    Brilliant. You guys impress me.
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Off_it said:
    Jeez. This thread.

I blame the heat.
    It's not the heat
    It's just halfwits, trouble makers and conspiracy crackpots

199.9 pence per litre means if you buy 50 litres you'll be charged £99.95 not £100
    The pumps and the tills should  only round up to the next whole penny when the delivered value rises past .50p 

Of far greater significance: Petroleum spirit expands quite a lot with temperature i.e. the molecules take up more space at 25C than they do at 15C -  the fuel you buy is sold by volume in litres, ergo you'll get more molecules for your money if you fill up when the weather's cooler.  At the moment, fill up early morning or late evening rather than midday, your vehicle will go further per £1.

The accuracy of the pumps is monitored routinely but the permitted error factor is bigger than you might hope (can't find the current margin).  It seems unlikely that the retailers are unable to cream off an extra % or 2 

The theoretical 1 litre of fuel at 199.9 pence per litre would correctly cost you £2.  Minimum delivery used to be a gallon, now it's at least 2 litres, if not 4.  Filling your little red can for the lawnmower/chainsaw is effectively gonna cost you £2/litre.  "Ripping you off" at a maximum rate of 0.05% or £1 in every £2000, this declines the larger the volume  you buy.  Virtually nothing is or can be routinely measured to that degree of accuracy
    So just advertise it at £2 and be done with it.

But they wont because 199.9 looks better than £2.
  • Sponsored links:

• I filled up the other day and when I got back in the car, the petrol gauge was in the same position.

I went back and tried another pump wondering if at the first one I had just paid for air.

The second pump let me put in 5 euros (2.5 litres).

The petrol gauge was still in the same position.

I figured that the pumps probably did give me petrol and the gauge is faulty.

Why though did the first pump stop when there was still space for 2.5 litres more?

Imagine if this had happened to @golfaddick
    He'd be fuming .
    I don't care for the time being as long as the car gets us to the airport for our big holiday tomorrow.

• Regarding the pump accuracy issue, someone on a local FB page posted earlier in the week that they managed to put over 59 litres of fuel (according to the pump display/receipt) into their car with a 50 litre petrol tank and the car's fuel guage didn't even show as being empty.  Now the gauge could be faulty, but that's a big discrepancy between pump and tank.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Go to the deli counter - lots of meat, cheese, even olives are sold at a price per weight.
    what happens if the weight is not an exact weight to the gram - is that also theft ?
    But that’s a weights and measures issue. Strictly controlled. For example. If ham is £1:00 per 500g. If you ask for 500g of ham and it’s under that weight they must tell you it’s under 500g or over 500g. If it’s under they cannot charge you £1:00 but the tills will make th3 price adjustment so you pay 5he correct price for the weight supplied. As the price is not advertised with a impossible to pay amount the calculation is straightforward. The petrol /diesel question is interesting. We need someone to go and buy 1 litre of fuel and see what happens. 
  • Saw both petrol and diesel priced at XXX.8p yesterday in South Wales.
    Time for a second thread: Fuel prices - .8p of what???

Can understand the marketing with .9 when prices were much lower, but with fuel around £2 its meaningless.

• Saw both petrol and diesel priced at XXX.8p yesterday in South Wales.
    Time for a second thread: Fuel prices - .8p of what???

Can understand the marketing with .9 when prices were much lower, but with fuel around £2 its meaningless.

Asda and Costco fuel is .7

Time for a third thread.