Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why do you support Charlton Athletic - inflicted on you, or self inflicted ?

For me, my late Father inflicted it on me - took me to The Valley aged 6 in 1976

To be honest, I’m pleased - I come from a Charlton supporting area (Dartford), Dad was largely brought up in Sidcup - but most of all, I was in the minority growing up, as all my friends supported the usual suspects e.g. Arsenal, Spurs and in particular West Ham, so I was different and not part of the sheep mentality - a badge of honour so to speak - I also thought The Valley was the greatest football ground in the world, even though it was a dump back then

Charlton was inflicted on Dad by his Uncle in the 1940’s

So, are you a Charlton fan because your family took you along, or (and I will be intrigued to know the reason, unless it was the Prem years) why did you choose to embark on this lifetime of (mostly) disappointment 

Over to you

Comments

• Options
    3rd generation. Got fortunate as was taken to matches from 96 onwards so was at school during the premier league era. Will be forcing my kids to support Charlton as we’ve been supporting them since the 50s. 
  • Options
    My uncle took me and my brother in 1968.

The bastard!
  • Options
    I regularly ask myself this…
  • Options
    Self inflicted. My local league club, I was always interested in Charlton and I had been to the Valley (both the East terrace and the West Grandstand) as a boy, but I wasn't a supporter.

It was the Lennie promotion season, followed by listening on the radio to the playoff win at St Andrews that condemned me...

I've lived in North London for 30 years. In another universe I could have been an armchair Arsenal fan!
  • Options
    Born in Charlton … accident of birth 
  • Options
    3rd generation. Got fortunate as was taken to matches from 96 onwards so was at school during the premier league era. Will be forcing my kids to support Charlton as we’ve been supporting them since the 50s. 
    It’s taken a while, but my Daughter loves going to Charlton matches now, to the extent she wants to go to some away games, which I’m not keen on, as it’s a lads day out for me) - I think I will take her to Ipswich away next season - only taken 25 years to get the 4th generation on board !!
  • Options
    Dad took me 1963ish. Loved it.
  • Options
    3rd generation of misery. Have passed the albatross on to the 4th.

Should be laws against it.
  • Options
    Sort of inflicted but I had a choice. I guess gôing to see your local team for your first ever game will have an impact. I just loved the valley and that was it. Still love being at Charlton despite living in Norwich for over 30 years. It's part of me and always will be 
  • Options
    Self inflicted. Went along with a mate to Charlton Vs Arsenal at Sellout Park 1987, lost 0-3 and loved every minute of it. Always destined to be an Addick
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Inflicted. Do I regret it.....sometimes 😂
  • Options
    My dad took me, aged 8, in 1949. I drank the Kool-Aid that day.
  • Options
    Self inflicted, everyone in the family was Arsenal and Spurs, I decided that the decaying football ground down the road was for me, so I became an Addick, and I've now inflicted that on my son 
  • Options
    Inflicted by Dad and brother.
    But I tried not to.

It was inevitable really 🤷‍♀️😩😂😂
  • Options
    A question I have asked myself over ten million times...
  • Options
    School trip in 1994 so slightly self inflicted... Later learnt that both my Dad and Grandad used to go, long before I was born, so it also became Generational
  • Options
    Self inflicted. Went along with a mate to Charlton Vs Arsenal at Sellout Park 1987, lost 0-3 and loved every minute of it. Always destined to be an Addick
    Remember that game - Arthur Waste stand had loads of Arsenal fans in it - in fairness, the ones sat behind Dad and I were ok, and amusing with the banter
  • Options
    Self inflicted, and being the best Dad in the world i made sure my son was like wise hobbled for life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Both my grandfathers were Charlton supporters. My dad was a Charlton supporter. He took me to my first game v Portsmouth in 1964 and I have been afflicted ever since.

My attempts to make my daughter follow in the family tradition have been totally unsuccessful and she continues to lead a happy life.
  • Options
    Basically self-inflicted.

I got into football aged 7 following Euro 2000, and I initially decided to support Manchester United and Liverpool – I know, I know, all kinds of wrong. As my username implies, I don't come from a Charlton-supporting area, but my mum used to work for a guy who had season tickets for him and his grown-up son. Sometimes they couldn't go because of his work, so they let dad and me use them. Starting in 2002 I went to a handful of games, including the 4-2 Boxing Day win over Chelsea, and by about 2005 I had become a Charlton fan... what great timing that was.
  • Options
    Inflicted on me by my elder brother when I was 7 - I did the same to my two boys when they were 6 and 8.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Dad was from other side of the water and was really West Ham, but moved to SE18. Lived in Samuel Street eventually,  10 minutes walk from Valley, so he started going and CAFC was now his club and remained so until his death in the late 70s. I came along in the 60s and that was that, I too was hooked. Its my Son whom I now go with I feel sorry for, my Daughter had a lucky escape lol....................
  • Options
    Masochist :)
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    3rd generation. My Dad started taking me when I was 5 and we had just moved back to The Valley. His Dad used to take him back in the 60s.
  • Options
    Didn’t even know where Charlton was till I moved there
  • Options
    My old man! One of my first games was seeing David Whyte score a hat trick!

Also put Charlton as my middle name....doomed really!
  • Options
    Mainly imposed.  Having moved away from the area, my dad reminisced with childhood tales of bunking off school to watch midweek games and unlikely 7-6 results interspersed with occasional trips to SE7.  Really got hooked when I moved to London for Uni during the Selhurst days.  It was really in my blood with my grandfather going to both cup finals, my great aunt telling me stories of her as a girl watching them dig out the Valley and my great grandfather living in East St.  I’ve managed to imprint on my son tho’ as he now lives 10mins walk from the ground :-)