Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The End of the classified football results

2»

Comments

• Options
    I can remember leaving the Valley and papers with half time scores being on sale.

5pm was always appointment listening for the full times, this is back in the 50s, and you would always know an away win was coming by an inflection in the voice.

Fast forward to the 1970s 10am Sunday morning, no one in the house dared move as the scores were droned out with half the teams mis-pronounced, but they would go all through the main divisions and then the lower leagues.  That all stopped many years ago, now my football fix is mainly CL.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    One of my early memories is the deathly hush that came over the house when my Dad was checking the scores, and ticking off his pools coupon. 
    Always followed by "Well that was waste of time!" before he had a shave and headed of up to the Lord Raglan with my Mum for a Saturday night out.
    Inside back page of all Saturday newspapers had a list of fixtures printed for you to write down the results when the classified check was read out by Len Martin.
    Not forgetting the "Stop press" on the back page of the Evening News for the results if you missed hearing Sports Report on the way home from the game
    Ha ha you took me back then. I remember struggling with the phrase 'stop press' because I was unfamiliar with the use of the word press to mean a printing press. I thought you had to stop and press something.
  • Options
    My first memory in the 60's was the Beebs teleprinter rattling out the results, as a kid it used to look like the top of a hot water bottle was doing the business. As others have said, we dare not make a sound as the old man checked off his pools coupon
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Bloody ell. We beat Blackburn away. 
    I remember that match. Leaburn scored. It was a great season - one of my favourites despite just missing out on the play-offs. How could you not love that team with Nelson, a young Johnny Robinson, Scott Minto, Mark Webster, John Bumstead, and a suddenly prolific Leaburn.

That was the day after I saw Curve live - at The Forum or The Town and Country - I don't remember which. I think that I shouted out Leeeeaaaburn between two songs because I had a quick chat with another Charlton fan, who then recognised me the next day and said hello.

It's funny the things you remember. I wonder if he still goes, or posts on here.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    I remember that match. Leaburn scored. It was a great season - one of my favourites despite just missing out on the play-offs. How could you not love that team with Nelson, a young Johnny Robinson, Scott Minto, Mark Webster, John Bumstead, and a suddenly prolific Leaburn.

That was the day after I saw Curve live - at The Forum or The Town and Country - I don't remember which. I think that I shouted out Leeeeaaaburn between two songs because I had a quick chat with another Charlton fan, who then recognised me the next day and said hello.

It's funny the things you remember. I wonder if he still goes, or posts on here.
    *Simon Webster?
  • Options
    Surprised there is not some kind of dedicated sports station on the radio where they talk about sport where you could also listen to the results on the way home. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Surprised there is not some kind of dedicated sports station on the radio where they talk about sport where you could also listen to the results on the way home. 
    There’s probably a better name but they could call it SpeakGame or ChatMatch.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Visually impaired people are some of the biggest smart phone users, lazy trope about how they can't use a phone is a big silly 
    Depends how visually impaired, surely?
    There are blind people even at matches to give an example. How often do they pull out a phone after the match? They might say that you're 'a big silly.'
    I do a lot of work with 5 blind people, they all use smart phones with zero problems, 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

A great away win, but not as great as the lass selling the pies in the away end. Still one of the prettiest women I have ever seen... 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

No Robinson yet, Robert Lee was in the team!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Reminds me of when it was on radio 2 during the 80s.
    When leaving the valley you’d know who had a radio as there’d be a cluster of people trying to walk in earshot as the same pace of one person. Usually half way up Charlton Church Lane.
  • Options
    Sorry, I've been getting a bit mixed up with the players - it's been a long time but I was there - promise - it feels like another life nowadays.

So much has changed, and as we older we get disoriented, but that's why I (or we?) need things like The Classified Football Results, to steady the ship and remind us of who we are and where we came from.
  • Options
    Reminds me of when it was on radio 2 during the 80s.
    When leaving the valley you’d know who had a radio as there’d be a cluster of people trying to walk in earshot as the same pace of one person. Usually half way up Charlton Church Lane.
    The place I remember listening to someone else's radio for the results is in that holding area outside Charlton station on the Londonbound side!
  • Options
    This has all got a bit bollocks though. The long slow read was fine for when people were marking their 1, 2 or X next to everything but do people still do that? All those times when non league is on the coupon, nobody needs that. The Scottish leagues, they can be on Radio Scotland or whatever. A quick fire through four divisions by the normal presenter in a minute or two, job done, no need to employ someone to read them out specially. 

However, having a pop at the BBC is popular, so there you go. 

• Options
    Not the radio I know, but this thread has reminded me of this Smith & Jones' sketch:

https://youtu.be/2IwdeFXlldo

• Options
    PWR

I really used to like the teleprinter, the anticipation of waiting for the Charlton result to come through and the excitement if you first saw, Charlton Athletic 2, thinking we must of won and then the deflation when the opposition would come up, Leyton Orient 3 :(
    Used to make me smile when the teleprinter spelt out the score Charlton 5 (five)  although they never finished with a 'yeah really'.
  • Options
    This has all got a bit bollocks though. The long slow read was fine for when people were marking their 1, 2 or X next to everything but do people still do that? All those times when non league is on the coupon, nobody needs that. The Scottish leagues, they can be on Radio Scotland or whatever. A quick fire through four divisions by the normal presenter in a minute or two, job done, no need to employ someone to read them out specially. 

However, having a pop at the BBC is popular, so there you go. 

When read slowly you can concentrate on the results and think about the consequences to the promotion and relegation issues.

When read quickly, it's difficult to think about what results are surprising, predictable or important.

It's a bit like a presentation in business. A good présenter will run through the facts and figures clearly and slowly. If they are rushed through then the audience can't really take them in.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    That’s sports report tune is proper nostalgia for me. Would be a candidate for my Desert Island Discs list.

The classified football results also bring a pang of nostalgia. I usually heard them on my Dad’s “little grey radio” as we walked home from the Valley each Saturday. 

I know most people don’t use it to find out scores anymore, and not everything can stay the same, but it is also nice when some things remain just as quirks of tradition. It doesn’t hurt anyone and must cost peanuts to produce, by broadcasting standards. Doesn’t really seem necessary to scrap it, imo, but you can’t stop progress. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rudders22 said:

A great away win, but not as great as the lass selling the pies in the away end. Still one of the prettiest women I have ever seen... 
    Lol, I had to check that wasnt my post!

I've been telling people about her for years and just meeting with blank looks. I think I went back for 3 pies that day!
  • Options
    That’s sports report tune is proper nostalgia for me. Would be a candidate for my Desert Island Discs list.

The classified football results also bring a pant of nostalgia. I usually heard them on my Dad’s “little grey radio” as we walked home from the Valley each Saturday. 

I know most people don’t use it to find out scores anymore, and not everything can stay the same but it is also nice when some things remain just as quirks of tradition. It doesn’t hurt anyone and must cost peanuts to produce, by broadcasting standards. Doesn’t really seem necessary to scrap it, imo, but you can’t stop progress
    I might agree with you if I thought it was progress. I think it's just change for the sake of change and an opportunity for the BBC to jam its nose ever deeper into the arse crack of the premier League.
  • Options
    Every single result was read out by Mark Chapman. Is it the style some people are bothered about?
  • Options
    Maybe they'll be back in winter when no-one can afford to charge their smartphones.