Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is The Love Back ?

I know we are only a couple of games in but it has dawned on me today how much more I'm invested in this squad than last year. This squad already really seem to care and the effort on the pitch is clear to see ( for me anyway )
Anyone else thinking this ? And why is it do you think ? 

Comments

• See how we feel after a tough game against Sheff Weds on Sat. Could be back to normal pretty soon!
  • Think the manager helps, I like Garner demeanour, I like what he’s trying to establish, and I like the recruitment.

I think we’ll do well, when Garner talks of over achieving on the budget, i think he means automatics, which is a good thing to hear 
  • The love most certainly wasn't there for a fair few at half time on Saturday. And that's at 0_0 in the first home game of the season.
  • Tbh I dont really mean results I mean an affinity . Last year I just didnt buy into the team mainly due I think to their attitude this year seems different already 
  • I think there are so many "unprecedente" things that feed into this.

I think the class of 20/21 is, in general massively underrated,  or the wrong people are rated.  I honestly still don't think people appreciate how good some of those players were.  

Covid has massively increased the number of people that actually watch some of the games.  Especially the away games.  In 18/19 I suspect you would struggle to find any meaningful number of people to comment on some of the games.

As for connection to the players?  Do I personally have more connection to, say McGrandles than I did Ben Watson?  No absolutely not.  Our longest serving pro is getting the "jog on" treatment as I type.  It works both ways.

One thing that has become "a thing" over the last 2 years or so is the vilification of players, both passed and present.  I honestly don't think it was a thing, certainly not at this level, pre covid.

I mean we have had some shit players for ever and as forums, for me especially, have replaced the pub chat, I honestly can't remember the conversations about x should retire, y should be paid off and z should be "jogged on".

The glee that some take from so and so was subbed after 57 minutes as they got beat 2-1 by Harrogate, really grates me.

If you had told me our worst players would be Stockley, JFC and Gilbey 6 months ago I would have done my house on us going up.  I still would because they aren't.

All we have done so far is undo the damage of last summer.  And I still stand by my predictions that Wollacott and O'Connell will feature in the the POTY and Payne will be the most "exciting".
  • Certainly a few of our players that I think the crowd will have a good relationship with, which has been missing massively the last couple of years 
  • Certainly a few of our players that I think the crowd will have a good relationship with, which has been missing massively the last couple of years 
    Not being argumentative but do you actually mean there is a few of our players that are quite good?

I mean I am the biggest defender of some of our players that I think are/where better than some/a lot of people didn't like/rate.

But I really struggle to think of players that were universally seen as good and people didn't like, at the time.

The inverse is also true.  I cant remember the last time I saw comments that so and so is awful, but I hope he starts on Saturday.
  • Let's give it a few more games first. We were dire first half at the weekend, and were lucky Derby were toothless up front. Similar was said at Accrington 2nd half display 
  • edited August 2022
    No, but the seasons started well so it could be on the cards if it continues.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    I'll disagree with Henners slightly here. When you look back at squads that contained the likes of Gunther, Watson, Matthews, etc. I would certainly hope this squad cares more, and they at least play like they do.

We have also had a number of players who were turgid footballers, which made them hard to love. We've had some players who hid when times were rough, 'pretended' they cared, when it was obvious they didn't. As Steve Brown said umpteen times, we have had a lack of character in the squad over the past few seasons.

I already feel like there are more players now that I can identify with and mostly only the good ones left from a bad bunch. We've had a clear out and the new ones already feel much more likeable. Plus we've got a Leaburn!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Certainly a few of our players that I think the crowd will have a good relationship with, which has been missing massively the last couple of years 
    Not being argumentative but do you actually mean there is a few of our players that are quite good?

I mean I am the biggest defender of some of our players that I think are/where better than some/a lot of people didn't like/rate.

But I really struggle to think of players that were universally seen as good and people didn't like, at the time.

The inverse is also true.  I cant remember the last time I saw comments that so and so is awful, but I hope he starts on Saturday.
    My point was that Dobson and Clare are really the only players that I connected with last season, possibly stockley. But I can see players like Payne getting the crowd involved, CBT is getting there, we have a keeper that looks like he’ll get a “Charltons no.1”. Obviously it’s because they’re good, you’re not being argumentative at all, you’re probably stating the obvious. ‘the love’ comes with fans seeing wages well spent.
  • Is the love back?

Just out of interest anyone on here tried viagara, asking for a friend…
  • Is that a bonafide question?
  • edited August 2022
    All I will say, if pushed, is that there are signs the Tingle is beginning to stir.....

( It's been a while !)
  • if we go up yes 

if we don't no 

history will be made if we aren't promoted , it will be our longest run in the third tier since we first escaped it in 1929
    6 times we have been relegated to the third tier
    taking 
    2-3-1-3-3-? seasons to get promoted out of it 
  • No the love is certainly not back, two or three bad results in a row and we'll be sniping and bickering just as before.... IMHO..

We've made a promising start and Garner seems both intelligent and eloquent but when we lose (and we WILL lose at some point) is when we'll see just how much real faith there is rather than a "bounce" of morale based on a good run.
  • Meet the new squad, same as the old squad.
  • edited August 2022
    Three tough games so far, with perhaps the toughest test to come in Sheffield tomorrow. 
    From what we’ve seen so far I’d give us a shout up there, which is a good sign. 
    The new manager and new players are off to a decent start, and you don’t get the feeling that we could go on a losing run as happened twice last season. 
    Early days, but pretty happy so far. 
  • The summer recruitment has been very good & we appear to have found a bright young manager who could prove to be a real gem.

There is cause for optimism 
  • Sponsored links:

• Does make we wonder if we hadn’t have had such a bad start to last season, 2 wins in 13 games which was shocking , what place we’d have finished in , maybe 6-8 places higher even if we’d made a bang average start?
  • For me, I would say I enjoy seeing things build in a positive direction. Over the past couple of years I have not really understood the direction of travel from the manager, plus the players have tended to be big names coming down in their careers
    This year, I feel we are building something, with a plan from the manager and developing players.
    I know there will be bumps along the way and we might not even get where we want this year, but I am ok with that as long as we stick with the plan.
  • Is the love back?

Just out of interest anyone on here tried viagara, asking for a friend…
    There are better alternatives out there!
  • Bump
    Quite literally.
  • The hope’s back a bit, which is always dangerous 
  • Things have changed for the better