Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cyclists - The Ugly Side

Over the years, while both driving and as a pedestrian I have lost count the amount of cyclists who disregard road safety. Be it couriers in the city or strings of Lycra wearing fanatics winding through the streets of Beckenham.

Generally I don't have a problem with cyclist's, but those who jump red lights, cycle two plus wide on busy streets and those who put other road users as risk need to be made accountable. Unless there is a serious incident or accident, many are getting away with flouting the law.

What are people's thoughts on this new potential change in law?

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/17/cyclists-may-need-number-plates-and-insurance-under-new-road-laws-17195996/

Comments

• Options
    In Woolwich, a lot of them don't even attempt to cycle on the roads. Ive lost count of the amount of cyclists Ive had to dive out of the way from on pedestrian paths. 
  • Options
    Desperately need to seperate cyclists and traffic more imo. I've lost count of the amount of cyclists that have almost hit me going through a red light though, a LOT more needs to be done to tackle what's otherwise a universal principle - you don't go through a red light. It would be better to have signs/a big advertising push to tell cyclists the dangers of not stopping at a red light - would probably be more effective than giving license plates to bicycles imo. But generally we need to create entirely seperate cycle lanes from traffic. We do want more people to cycle, but we need to make it safer for them and pedestrians. 
  • Options
    Yeah it needs to happen...

There are good Cyclists who shouldn't have to put up with this - But there are good drivers too who maybe shouldn't have to put up with some of the rules (none that I can think of) that they're forced to adhere to either.

You constantly hear of tales where a Cyclist has hit a pedestrian because they've jumped a light...

Why should they get any other treatment than what a car driver gets in the same scenario?

Only thing that makes me smile is the comment from Shapps about cyclists having to adhere to the same speed limits as drivers - Cant wait to see a Cyclist bombing down the A2 above 50mph next time I'm on that stretch :D
  • Options
    Cyclists want to be treated as regulated road users with out going through any test of competency or vehicle condition - and they treat dedicated cycle lanes and traffic lights as optional. 
    Add those scooter nutters to the equation and you get carnage. 
    To quote the Stranglers - Something Better Change. 
  • Options
    Not all cyclists are lycra clad wankers, but there seems to be a higher proportion of wankers to normal people in the cycling community. 

To be allowed to actually ride on a bike on a road or major cycle highways, a cycling proficiency test should have to be passed, and insurance and licenses should be maintained. Perhaps a license plate that is linked to the cyclist as opposed to the bike should also be implemented, one that can be clipped under the seat? 

A lot to think about and will be tough to fully implement and manage, but if the number of incidents involving cyclists doesn't match the number of incidents involving cars, then something needs to be done
  • Options
    Assuming there will be no increased police or other enforcement presence to improve the current situation i would go a different direction and give cyclists more freedom. There is many a time when it is safe to breach a red light. As long as pedestrians get primary protected status in law/ highway code then everyone could be a bit happier. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One way to deal with errant cyclists, most especially those in parks and on pavements is to carry an umbrella.
    A judicious ‘stumble’ and an umbrella spokes interface might make them think again about dominating pedestrians.
  • Options
    I heard somebody on the wireless this morning suggesting cyclists wear high visibility tabards with an ID number boldly printed on them plus their third party insurance details.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    One way to deal with errant cyclists, most especially those in parks and on pavements is to carry an umbrella.
    A judicious ‘stumble’ and an umbrella spokes interface might make them think again about dominating pedestrians.
    Here’s a classic example of why the debate is such a waste of time. 

So it’d be ok to take an RPG to a speeding car, which after all is far more dangerous than a kid on a bike on a pavement?

Both equally dumb. 

Enjoy the debate 😂
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Not sure you should be putting barriers up to exercise with an already overweight population. 

Kids riding to school forced to get insurance and number plates? 
    Forget it. None of these things will happen, not even under the maddest government in history. 

PS. I’m gone now, honest 😂
  • Options
    Ridiculous idea. Far too big brother. Much more danger to cyclists, who are mainly law abiding, than certain wreckless drivers. 
  • Options
    Not sure you should be putting barriers up to exercise with an already overweight population. 

Half the trouble is because most of the cyclists are too wide. 

(I include myself in that bracket and it’s just a joke, calm down)
  • Options
    Every few months we get these threads that always descend into slanging matches and get used by the more "robust" elements into suggestions of how they would hurt or maim one or other side of the debate in theoretical circumstances.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    Here’s a classic example of why the debate is such a waste of time. 

So it’d be ok to take an RPG to a speeding car, which after all is far more dangerous than a kid on a bike on a pavement?

Both equally dumb. 

Enjoy the debate 😂
    Will somebody think of the pedestrians 🚶‍♀️?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I've got a lot of time for cyclists but the ones who zoom across red lights in central London when people are crossing want drop-kicking.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Sadly some of the usual predictable responses. Just what we need is more division fueling more hate towards other road users, that will definitely make the roads safer. 
  • Options
    Typing as a car driver of almost 30 years now this Sep! (christ that makes me feel old) and as a cycling who has been cycling on the roads since 11 (having passed my cycling proficiency not once but twice, as I had to accompany my brother on his during the summer holiday course!), I like to think I have a balanced view.

I've said this before but if you are a road user, you should take a test which involves both driving a car AND riding a bicycle.  Those that solely drive a car will not necessarily know why a cyclist will hold their position at various times, how they treat road conditions, wet weather, bus stops full of oil patches, pot holes, etc etc, how scary it can be when you get clipped by a car's wing mirror when both cyclist and car is driving at speed, how utterly terrifying it can be when you're cycling along at 30mph on a dual carriageway and then a HGV with a trailer thunders past creating horrific air turbulence, thus why it is important to give cyclists room when overtaking.

Likewise, no one should be licenced to be able to ride a bike unless they are fully proficient in driving a car and have a fully understanding of the road and the highway code.

Get EVERYONE tested, licenced and insured.  Then EVERYONE can begin to share the road in harmony.

and they treat dedicated cycle lanes and traffic lights as optional. 
    Totally hear you on the traffic lights, that drives me crazy at times when I'm waiting to cross but specifically on the dedicated cycle lanes, they dont tend to get swept by road sweepers/cleaners, tend to be full of rubbish and glass, and can also be full of standing water at times, CS2 along the Mile End Road/Whitechapel High Road is a prime example.  Worst of all, sometimes they are awfully thought out and are more dangerous to navigate than just staying on the road.  Again, CS2 junction with the A102M at Poplar/Mile End had a number of deaths in a short period of times before they had a rethink a good few years ago now.  CS2 is one of the major arterial routes into London from the East and its got to be the most badly thought out cycle lane of the lot...

In rush hour, its safer to stay on the road and in the traffic than it is to mingle with pedestrians getting on/off/queuing for a bus by going round on the left...

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    PopIcon said:
    Over the years, while both driving and as a pedestrian I have lost count the amount of cyclists who disregard road safety. Be it couriers in the city or strings of Lycra wearing fanatics winding through the streets of Beckenham.

Generally I don't have a problem with cyclist's, but those who jump red lights, cycle two plus wide on busy streets and those who put other road users as risk need to be made accountable. Unless there is a serious incident or accident, many are getting away with flouting the law.

What are people's thoughts on this new potential change in law?

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/17/cyclists-may-need-number-plates-and-insurance-under-new-road-laws-17195996/
    Oh do we really have to? It’s such a dull debate that’s always getting dragged up only for the same points to be made over and over again.
    Boring. 
    If I see a thread that I find boring I choose not to post on it.
    Simple 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Sadly some of the usual predictable responses. Just what we need is more division fueling more hate towards other road users, that will definitely make the roads safer. 
    Which is exactly why we should have massive investment into creating completely seperate cycle lanes, where only cyclists (and maybe moped) users can use (like you find in amsterdam). It won't be an overnight fix, but decade long concentrated effort. 
  • Options
    In Colombia motorcyclist have to wear the registration number of their bike on their crash helmet. I think they used to wear a lightweight vest with the registration number. I admit this might be a legacy to highlight Pablo’s hit squad but could something similar be applied to cyclist in order make their registration visible?

• Options
    Desperately need to seperate cyclists and traffic more imo.  
    Perhaps we could send them to Rwanda?
  • Options
    Assuming there will be no increased police or other enforcement presence to improve the current situation i would go a different direction and give cyclists more freedom. There is many a time when it is safe to breach a red light. As long as pedestrians get primary protected status in law/ highway code then everyone could be a bit happier. 

Good idea 
  • Options
    In Germany if you are caught cycling whilst drunk or ignoring a red light you get points on your driving license.