Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Edinburgh Fringe

I’ve been in Edinburgh for a few days taking in a couple of shows and the tattoo. Its mind blowing with the number of shows to see and Edinburgh has a smashing atmosphere around town. But it feels like being in a sweet shop and you can only choose 3 sweets from hundreds. I’m not sure on how you are meant to choose which show to see, via recommendations or lucky dip? Anybody else been to the fringe before and how did you select on what to see?

Comments

• Options
    Did you see Jerry Sadowitz get his cock out?
  • Options
    I went about a decade ago - Really is great at the available shows... I partly went up because the Axis of Awesome were performing, but also went to see a couple of more well known acts.

Would love to go again one day. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Lived in Edinburgh for a couple of years after Uni, was great being there at this time of year. I was young so I could go to shows every day after work until the wee hours (sometimes at lunchtime too!). 

- Resign yourself to the fact that you’ll never see everything you want to and just enjoy what you can get to. 
    -Try and do a bit of a mix of stuff too, sometimes the funniest thing you’ll see is the random show in the basement of a pub down a backstreet at 1 o’clock in the morning.
    -Try to avoid the awful posho “comedians” whose Edinburgh experience is being funded by mummy and daddy. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Lived in Edinburgh for a couple of years after Uni, was great being there at this time of year. I was young so I could go to shows every day after work until the wee hours (sometimes at lunchtime too!). 

- Resign yourself to the fact that you’ll never see everything you want to and just enjoy what you can get to. 
    -Try and do a bit of a mix of stuff too, sometimes the funniest thing you’ll see is the random show in the basement of a pub down a backstreet at 1 o’clock in the morning.
    -Try to avoid the awful posho “comedians” whose Edinburgh experience is being funded by mummy and daddy. 

I'll second that. The best show I've seen at the Fringe was in a room above a pub in Grassmarket - we'd had a meal in a restaurant a few doors down and just wandered along afterwards to be met by a guy selling the show and generally chatting to us about where we were from etc... We went in when it started and part of his act was taking the piss out of the London accent of a guy called Munro! Bastard!! But very funny - 90 minute set free to enter and just a bucket for tips when we left.

The Tattoo is not to be missed either - outstanding entertainment.

I just love Edinburgh.
  • Options
    Where is that then because I've never heard of them !
  • Options
    The venue was in the Cow gate - it burnt down I believe.
  • Options
    Whoosh.
  • Options
    Whoosh.
    Oh right. I thought ‘them’ referred to the institution. Taika Waititi is an actor writer director (eg Jojo Rabbit, Thor). Jemaine  Clement  is about the same ( eg what we do in the shadows, flight of the concords)
  • Options
    The Edinburgh Fringe is a fantastic festival. For anyone that hasn't been, I'd encourage them to experience it. 

It's an eclectic mix. You get people there - without exaggerating - from every single corner of London. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Had a great time and now I know what it’s like I will have a better idea next time re planning shows. 
  • Options
    I worked in the bar at a comedy venue at the festival in 97 - the Gilded Balloon. Pretty cool experience. A LOT of house hold names and emerging names hanging around the bar. Boy do Comedians make bad drunks. I’d go and see all the shows for free on account of working there. Fucking brilliant. One odd experience of note was going to watch Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clements show. I kind of knew Jemaine a little back in NZ. So we d hang out a little ( well they would sit at the bar). On the last night of the festival I took a date ( now my wife) to see their show. A few minutes before the show started we were the only people in the small theatre. Then it was time and we were still the only ones there. I thought they’d not do the show as they knew I was there for free . But to their credit they put their show on just for the two of us. I was terrified that it wouldn’t be funny and I’d need to pretend to laugh for the length of the show. But it was actually brilliant and we laughed a lot quite naturally. They sat down with us afterwards and asked our opinion etc . Cool eh? Any way I like to think that I was the nadir of their respective careers. Playing to a solitary Charlton fan and his girlfriend. A testament to their perseverance that they kept  at it and got to where they are today.
    That’s a really cool story! Also feeds into the stereotype that all kiwis know each other! 
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know the full story and context of his performance. To my knowledge his latest tour is now sold out.
  • Options
    It got cancelled as there were loads of complaints about the size and they couldn't see it at the back, then he made a joke about Sunday.

I worked in the bar at a comedy venue at the festival in 97 - the Gilded Balloon. Pretty cool experience. A LOT of house hold names and emerging names hanging around the bar. Boy do Comedians make bad drunks. I’d go and see all the shows for free on account of working there. Fucking brilliant. One odd experience of note was going to watch Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clements show. I kind of knew Jemaine a little back in NZ. So we d hang out a little ( well they would sit at the bar). On the last night of the festival I took a date ( now my wife) to see their show. A few minutes before the show started we were the only people in the small theatre. Then it was time and we were still the only ones there. I thought they’d not do the show as they knew I was there for free . But to their credit they put their show on just for the two of us. I was terrified that it wouldn’t be funny and I’d need to pretend to laugh for the length of the show. But it was actually brilliant and we laughed a lot quite naturally. They sat down with us afterwards and asked our opinion etc . Cool eh? Any way I like to think that I was the nadir of their respective careers. Playing to a solitary Charlton fan and his girlfriend. A testament to their perseverance that they kept  at it and got to where they are today.
    Eagle Vs Shark and Wellington Paranormal are great, the new series of What we do in the Shadows is brilliant 
  • Options
    ads said:
    It got cancelled as there were loads of complaints about the size and they couldn't see it at the back, then he made a joke about Sunday.

Eagle Vs Shark and Wellington Paranormal are great, the new series of What we do in the Shadows is brilliant 
    All of taika’s films are brilliant. His only really average one is the latest Thor movie, lightening didn’t strike twice for him there