Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Watson Interview in Football League Paper

Comments

• Options
    Watching Watson’s performance against Hartlepool in the Papa John’s, it was pretty clear that he’d “mentally had enough”, not least in the way he let the opposition player amble past him unmolested for their second goal.
  • Options
    Always thought we should never of got him. Had his moments, blocking shots but not a lot else.
    Had no idea why we gave him another year and then you find out for half of it he didn't want to play anyway. Prick. 
  • Options
    "I was very honest with JJ and said my place on the bench should go to a younger player".
    What a decent fella?  Did he accept that having given up and said he had lost interest that he should no longer be paid as a player? After all he spent all those years in the PL so is fine financially.
    The bloke took the piss out of our club for the last season definitely but I would say his whole 2 years with us frankly.
    Glad we have moved away from these sorts of waster signings. Amazed JJ didn't learn his lesson and signed Gunter at AFCW as he is the same.  
    Agreed, he could have retired there and then, freeing up his wages AND squad place. Deciding not to play any more is hardly virtuous, if you're now being paid to do nothing. Most people would love that gig!

And for all the talk that he was a useful additional coach of sorts on the bench for Jacko, it's interesting that he's not going down the coaching path anyway.
  • Options
    So CAFC sort of like a Saga holiday then Ben?

Fuck off.
  • Options
    One of the worst signings we've made in the past five years and that's saying something. 
    I remember being quite happy when he signed. He played 45 games in the championship for Forest the season before signing for us and i thought league one would be a breeze for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Different player but an article on Marcus Maddison in the non league paper today
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    "I was very honest with JJ and said my place on the bench should go to a younger player".
    What a decent fella?  Did he accept that having given up and said he had lost interest that he should no longer be paid as a player? After all he spent all those years in the PL so is fine financially.
    The bloke took the piss out of our club for the last season definitely but I would say his whole 2 years with us frankly.
    Glad we have moved away from these sorts of waster signings. Amazed JJ didn't learn his lesson and signed Gunter at AFCW as he is the same.  
    100%.  Got his move nearer home and stole a living for 2 years. Tosser.
  • Options
    Apart from the guy writing that article, who the fuck has ever referred to Ben Watson as the "ginger Zidane"?
    He would only have earned that nickname if he headbutted someone in his final game
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    "Coincidentally, it also meant I didn't have to sit on a coach for three hours and run around in the freezing cold weather up north, which was a right touch." 

Thank god we cleared these tossers out. I've got a feeling there were a few more than Ben.
    Imagine someone with that attitude being a coach to your kids.
  • Options
    At the same level of Taylor. 

Took a wage for 6 months after essentially begging Jackson not to play him because he didn't fancy it. Should have sacked him right on the spot. Fuck him. 
  • Options
    At the same level of Taylor. 

Took a wage for 6 months after essentially begging Jackson not to play him because he didn't fancy it. Should have sacked him right on the spot. Fuck him. 
    agreed - an absolute toss pot - if he didn't get paid i take it all back but he did - a palace / millwall stain on our club - how have we ended up with the likes of him ?
  • Options
    Enjoyed that piece. 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unprofessional.

Hope you get paid well for that article you absolute mercenary.
  • Options
    Unprofessional.

He ain’t getting paid by the Football League Paper.
  • Options
    Always thought we should never of got him. Had his moments, blocking shots but not a lot else.
    Had no idea why we gave him another year and then you find out for half of it he didn't want to play anyway. Prick. 
    Triggered automatically by the games he played in the first year. 
  • Options
    Unprofessional.

Free advertising for his 'holistic agency'.
  • Options
    We should have terminated his contract then and there once he said that. Would we have grounds for that legally I wonder? Or just give him a statutory redundancy payout and told him to fuck off.

Imagine if Haaland or some other well paid player told their manager they couldn't be arsed to play anymore, would they just be allowed to see out their contract? Seems mad.
  • Options
    Unprofessional.

good
  • Options
    I remember watching him at Hartlepool in the JPT thinking that was one of the worst performances I'd ever seen from anyone in a Charlton shirt.

I don't recall him being involved in a matchday squad after that performance where he did little more than jog, point, shout and knock the ball sideways you could have plucked anyone out of the away end to do that.
  • Options
    He was a game changer against Havant. Absolute waste of space, money, hopefully reduced to after dinner speaking about how he won the Cup for Wigan. 
  • Options
    Pretty sure he was highest paid player for a while too
  • Options
    One of the poorest players I've seen for us in recent years. Either his legs had gone, he just didn't care at all or, more likely for me, a combination of both.

Ultimately a lot of players like him will sit in L1 after being in the higher leagues to turn out and collect a living for very little effort, but when they don't really need the money if they ever played in the PL (or even the Championship, nowadays), it's pretty galling.

I hated seeing him on the team sheet, since it was just a given he wouldn't do a lot. This article explains a LOT as to why he was so terribad. I don't wish him any malice, but it's pretty scummy behaviour.