Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ellen White retires from all football

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62636434

She struggled at the Euros a bit, so I'm not surprised she's bowing out from the international scene, but I'm really surprised she's quitting completely, rather than having a "lap of honour year" at club level as a Euros winner, especially as she's only 33 and didn't earn the big money men of that age would have earned.

Comments

• Options
    Great career and quitting at the top. 
  • Options
    If she wants kids, she might have decided the trade-offs for that extra year playing weren't worth it.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    If she wants kids, she might have decided the trade-offs for that extra year playing weren't worth it.
    Yeah that was my first thought
  • Options
    Great career good luck in the future 
  • Options
    She seems to know it is the right time. When you win a major trophy and new young players are coming through, I suppose it is hard to argue with her decision. All the best to her in life's new chapters.
  • Options
    Lionesses’ record scorer. Goes out at the top as a champion of Europe. Thanks for the memories. 
  • Options
    Great player. Sorry to see her go but that day at Wembley was a wonderful swansong for her.
  • Options
    Charlton were playing at Reading and it was the match Yann Kermorgant got injured ?

Ellen White was in a food outlet near the ground and she was so surprised someone recognised her, when I asked her how she was doing. Amazing career and she wasn't a good finisher earlier in her career. Spent more time running the Channels. Once Taylor got injured she had a purple patch  and her peak was between 27 to 31 but her contribution to the recent Euro winning squad was immense. On and off the pitch.

Very modest person who can enjoy the next stage of her life knowing she has achieved so much including coming back from 2 or was it 3 ACL's.
    That could be a major factor also. 
    She may have received medical advice recommending she ought to be kind to her body now, rather than suffer badly in later life.

Anyway, what a way to end a career, winning the Euros.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Jill Scott has also announced her retirement.  Two great servants to the women's game. I was at the final so missed the close up shot of Jill's immortal quote " Fuck off  you fucking prick!", but I played it a few times after!

Well done them both and that they could choose their time of departure.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Superb Video of Jill Scott.
    Her personality and humanity comes shining through.
    Both Jill Scott and Ellen White has made the correct decision to go now on their terms and as winners. The Journey from being amateur footballers, to part time and then full time Professionals is an amazing Journey culminating in the magical Euros where somehow we got past Spain in the Quarter finals and the  highlight when Georgia Stanway's hit a rocket which hit the net in the goal we were standing behind. I Was shouting shoot as we hadn't tested their keeper enough but there was a pass to her right !

Both Ellen and Jill will be fantastic ambassadors for Women and Girls football in the coming years.