Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If We Continue On Pace And Finish 6th....

We are on pace to finish with 18 wins, 18 draws and 10 losses. 6th place. Playoffs.

If we actually continue as is and get 6th, is that a good season? I say "yes" but was curious what everyone else thinks.

Comments

• Options
    We are on pace to finish with 18 wins, 18 draws and 10 losses. 6th place. Playoffs.

If we actually continue as is and get 6th, is that a good season? I say "yes" but was curious what everyone else thinks.
    League one is tough, and is only going to get tougher. Last year showed what may be expected in terms of points total to get into the top 6 moving forwards. 

If we get into that top 6 this year, then yes, that will be a very good season considering the strength and depth in the league. 

• Options

Firstly i don't think 72 points will be enough to make the play offs.

But yes if we finished 6th that would be a good season. If you offered a play off spot to any side (apart from maybe Ipswich) in August they'd probably take it.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2022
    Its early days for this kind of speculation. With one (fit) senior striker, who is likely to get fatigued, suspended, injured etc- the likelihood of ending up 6th is slim. Add in opposition managers working out best way to tactically manage Garner’s style of play. The current squad depth is way too light.. without additions to be 6th. I would love to be proved wrong Napa. 
  • Options
    No point speculating until 1 September. We won't be top 6 with the current squad for sure. 
  • Options

If we finish sixth and win the playoffs it will definitely be a good season. If we finish sixth and lose in the playoffs it will be progress.
  • Options
    72 points definitely won’t be enough to get into the playoffs this season.

The top teams are already winning every week and will all achieve 80+ points.

Wycombe came 6th last year with 83 points.
  • Options
    2 points a game, likely outright and 80+ points likely play-offs. We are currently way off either of those two outcomes.
  • Options
    Top 6 and I'll make a very handsome profit. 
  • Options
    Top 2 is what i want but its not likely to happen. If we get 6th then yeah great but still means a perilous play off where we could easily balls up and if we do its another unsuccessful season. the only way it could be a successful season is if we get promoted anything else imo is failure. 

with the squad as it is we will be lucky to get a top ten position. 
  • Options
    No, 6 is the bare minimum expectation, so it would be a success, but not good. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course it's a successful season. Anything that comes to the end of the 46 games with us either promoted or able to get promoted is a successful season. Would be particularly impressive considering I see this as a bit of a building season given how much Garner has had to change since coming in. We had absolutely no style of play and we're rebuilding how we play from the ground up. Need to develop some consistency to finish where we are now though
  • Options
    Top 2 is what i want but its not likely to happen. If we get 6th then yeah great but still means a perilous play off where we could easily balls up and if we do its another unsuccessful season. the only way it could be a successful season is if we get promoted anything else imo is failure. 

So then a Top 10 would be a successful season with this squad?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    WSS said:

So then a Top 10 would be a successful season with this squad?
    No. if we don't go up even if we do make the play offs i would see that as unsuccessful. This squad has been put together to already fail the one objective which is to get promoted. Maybe they are capable, time will tell, but i don't think they are. 
  • Options
    I think there's a difference in terms of what success is. If you're looking at it from the point of view of what we hoped/expected three months ago (investment, strategy, transfers) then I think anything other than promotion will not be a success.

If you look at it from the point of view of the squad Garner has at his disposal then, from a footballing sense, I think saying a Top 8 and a sign of progress can legitimately be seen as successful.
  • Options
    For the minge of a club we have become top half is a success 

but fuck rational thinking this is football 

for what I want from Charlton every season in this division is a massive failure and shame on the history of our club 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    2 points a game, likely outright and 80+ points likely play-offs. We are currently way off either of those two outcomes.
    We're only two points off two points per game after a tough set of opening fixtures (we've yet to play any of the bottom 12 sides).

It's far to early to extrapolate final league position on current placings but I wouldn't be surprised to see the same top ten as now in May, just in slightly different order.

The squad does need beefing up with a centre back (and another striker if you insist) and we've already been hit with injuries to Sessegnon, Egbo and Aneke but the window hasn't closed and our academy players are stepping up nicely.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    I think there's a difference in terms of what success is. If you're looking at it from the point of view of what we hoped/expected three months ago (investment, strategy, transfers) then I think anything other than promotion will not be a success.

If you look at it from the point of view of the squad Garner has at his disposal then, from a footballing sense, I think saying a Top 8 and a sign of progress can legitimately be seen as successful.
    I don't think it can. If we finish 8th with whatever points total and obviously don't go up next season we will be still in this league with 0 points alongside 23 other teams starting again from scratch. Who cares how we did  last season its all back to square 1 and we're gonna have to try yet again to get out of this league.
    Success is promotion. Anything else is failure. 
  • Options
    Success is promotion

Top 6 without promotion is acceptable
    Top half (7th to 12th) is disappointing
    Bottom half is a massive failure
  • Options
    se9addick said:

If we finish sixth and win the playoffs it will definitely be a good season. If we finish sixth and lose in the playoffs it will be progress.
    Agree with this 100% & no chopping n changing manager either way,stick with the Garner plan,we need to be patient i recon this season while personnel & formation takes place for a promotion push…problem arises next season if we haven’t pushed on & are struggling…evaluate then…
  • Options

Has anybody checked these figures?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not wishing to fuel the transfer argument but alot depends on the next few days.
    If we can keep CBT, Dobson etc and get a couple of decent players in then promotion is on and anything but would be a disappointment. Fail on those points and top 6vwill need a great deal of luck with injuries but possible although I think top 10 more likely 
  • Options
    Only promotion is a success for us  in L1.
    Top six and failure in play offs would see our better players disappearing next summer and another rebuild.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Play-offs is good. Promotion is great. I don't expect BG to get it right in one transfer window, I think a good amount of these players are still not quite what he would like in his system. I have every confidence in him as a coach, though, and in terms of squad completeness, we're in a better place than we have been since we came back down.
  • Options
    Arguably we haven't played a single team in the bottom half of the table yet, by that measure our current points total is pretty decent