Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Laptop USB wireless adapter advice please

edited September 2022 in Troubleshooting
I know my laptop is cheapish/not the best, but I only use it to browse and watch sport.
I'm with Virgin Media and have recently had a modem/hub replaced with a Virgin Hub 4 (I assume I can do better but not looking for advice on that thanks).

Anyway, I've never had an issue viewing Charlton games but on Saturday the picture was slightly stop start / slight freeze and basically not good.

Virgin suggested my HP laptop was now not massively compatible with their Hub 4 and I should buy a HP compatible USB wireless adapter from Amazon. 

My processor is 1.8GHz and I'm wondering if any wireless adapters will work with Virgin's 2.4 GHz/5 GHz router and which adapter would work best/work at all? 

PS It may sound like I know what I'm talking about but my knowledge is pretty basic, so simple replies would be best please. 

This is my laptop detail. 

Comments

• Options
    Have you connected to the 2.4 or the 5GHz wireless SSID?
    Have you run a speed test? 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    First thing is to rule out the router by connecting a cat cable to your laptop / router and run a speed test.

then remove the cat cable and rerun the speed test to see difference when using Wi-Fi.

I also think you should run the windows updates to update your version of windows as well
  • Options
    Have you connected to the 2.4 or the 5GHz wireless SSID?
    Have you run a speed test? 
    My understanding is that the Hub will use either it believes is best for your device depending where it is.
    I'm on Superfast Broadband and the speed test shows on Samknows.com/realspeed shows 1145 speed to Virgin Media Hub 4 and 37.6 speed to the computer.
    So the engineer said I needed an HP compatible USB wireless adapter (unless I wanted to buy a new laptop).
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Thanks Andy, this is the one I was going to buy but wasn't sure if it will improve matters and was concerned that it would work with my 1.8 GHz processor?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    SE9toDA2 said:
    First thing is to rule out the router by connecting a cat cable to your laptop / router and run a speed test.

then remove the cat cable and rerun the speed test to see difference when using Wi-Fi.

I also think you should run the windows updates to update your version of windows as well
    Don't particularly want to update to Windows 11 and haven't been prompted to do so, because quite often I read of all sorts of new problems people get when they update Windows.
    I'm assuming my above speed test results answer your question and not sure what a cat cable is.
    Presume it's an ethernet cable?

I have to say I find it somewhat strange that the speed to the hub is 1145 and 37.6 to the laptop.
    Why is there such a big difference is this usual?
    I appreciate it is probably something to do with it being on WIFI and not cable, plus not being a powerful new laptop, but even so is this usual? 

Edit I've switched the WIFI off the laptop and plugged an ethernet cable from Hub to laptop and speed to laptop is 93. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Thanks Andy, this is the one I was going to buy but wasn't sure if it will improve matters and was concerned that it would work with my 1.8 GHz processor?
    Buy it, keep all the boxes, test it, if no good, send it back. Amazon are decent when it comes to returns.
  • Options
    But do you want that thing hanging out of your machine all the time?
    Your spec doesn't show what network/wireless card you are running. Chances are it is not very good. A better option might be to swap that out for a nice new Intel version. It's usually very easy with plenty of helpful youtube videos explaining how to do it.
    (See also the broadband issues thread which also discusses this issue.)
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    It will work, are all your drivers up to date? You may need to install a new driver if not.
  • Options
    You don’t have to update to windows 11 but make sure you have windows 10 updates applied

cat (network) cable  is a cable used to connect router to the laptop

the connection speed is always better when connect with cat cable but you should not be losing that amount of speed over wifi

where is the laptop in relation to the router or same room ? Is the router in direct line sight of the laptop or is it in another room or cupboard ? Will the Wi-Fi signal have to go through thick walls to get the signal to your laptop ?

do you have a lot of other devices using Wi-Fi in the same room ?

try running the speed test again on your laptop when it is placed near to the router to see if signal improves

Are the speed test figures from you running test or from virgin ?

if virgin I suggest you run your own tests
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SE9toDA2 said:
    You don’t have to update to windows 11 but make sure you have windows 10 updates applied

cat (network) cable  is a cable used to connect router to the laptop

the connection speed is always better when connect with cat cable but you should not be losing that amount of speed over wifi

where is the laptop in relation to the router or same room ? Is the router in direct line sight of the laptop or is it in another room or cupboard ? Will the Wi-Fi signal have to go through thick walls to get the signal to your laptop ?

do you have a lot of other devices using Wi-Fi in the same room ?

try running the speed test again on your laptop when it is placed near to the router to see if signal improves

Are the speed test figures from you running test or from virgin ?

if virgin I suggest you run your own tests
    Laptop is 10 foot from hub with no obstructions and no devices nearby other than mobile.
    I just stood in front of the hub with the laptop and speed to hub 1140, speed to laptop 7.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Use Ookla Speed Test. Much more reliable speed tests. You can also use fast.com or Google speed test. Ookla seems the most accurate. 
  • Options
    In which case it would suggest it’s your Wi-Fi adapter but best to test with a cat cable first before buying another adaptor

also make sure existing drivers are up to date

look at the other thread above as it also has some tips 
  • Options
    Hub WIFI speed now back to 37 on Samknows.
    Just tried my son's newish cheapish laptop and his speed is 265.
    My Ookla wifi speed is 43.
  • Options
    Have you tried running ookla speed test on a smart phone to see what Wi-Fi speed you get ? If similar speed it may suggest issue is with the router.

I think you can login to the router to assign devices to 2.6 or 5 ghz rather than allowing the router decide. You might find if you change the setting you get better speeds
  • Options
    As others have said try and connect with a cable first, was there one supplied with the router?

I wouldn't be surprised if your laptop has connected via the 2.4GHz wireless rather than the 5GHz. Can you do a screenshot of the savailable SSIDs?
  • Options
    Ignore the SSID advice and buy the card to test fella. You have a HP 255 G4. The network card in that is 1x1 which means it only has one antenna and one data stream, max you'll ever get is 72Mbps.

If your son gets 265, trying with a cable is irrelevant.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Ignore the SSID advice and buy the card to test fella. You have a HP 255 G4. The network card in that is 1x1 which means it only has one antenna and one data stream, max you'll ever get is 72Mbps.

That maybe the case but if it worked before the new router than it may just be the way it is connecting.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

So, I did another Ookla test.
    My laptop 40, my android Huawei P smart 40, son's newish cheapish computer 265.
    My laptop never has any issues apart from Saturday watching the Bolton game.
  • Options
    SE9toDA2 said:

Great advice. This is what I would do to troubleshoot this problem. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafcpolo said:

This will be due to the Wi-Fi chipset in the device, meaning newer devices will have newer chips which are able to support higher speeds. 
  • Options
    Glovepup said:
    cafcpolo said:

This will be due to the Wi-Fi chipset in the device, meaning newer devices will have newer chips which are able to support higher speeds. 
    So is there any point purchasing the USB wireless adapter that Rob7Lee suggested at 12.45 (in order to watch Charlton away games on Charlton TV?
    Alternatively would I be better off using my son's laptop to watch the games?
    I'm assuming the latter.
  • Options
    Glovepup said:
    cafcpolo said:

So is there any point purchasing the USB wireless adapter that Rob7Lee suggested at 12.45 (in order to watch Charlton away games on Charlton TV?
    Alternatively would I be better off using my son's laptop to watch the games?
    I'm assuming the latter.
    Latter is better as no expense.

The dongle should improve the situation on your laptop.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    For best speed use a cat cable to connect to router only a couple of quid

40/50 should be fast enough to stream game if no one else using Wi-Fi in the house at same time 

otherwise you have 2 options, use your sons laptop which or buy the Wi-Fi adapter which should enable you to connect to the router using 5g rather than 2.4
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    You could buy a longer ethernet cable from ebay and connect directly to the hub if you watch Charlton not too far away from it. If watching Charlton is the only issue. You can get different lengths from ebay. 5 metres is £3.99. They are a bit faster than wifi. Not as much as they were but will still be faster and you proabably don't need that much more speed if it is mostly working.

The problem could of course have been the connection on the day as virgin does throttle speeds when a lot of people are using the connection. However, I assume you were using a VPN on Saturday which should prevent that. The problem with a wifi adapter is that it loses speed compared to your network card because that is connected directly to the motherboard and it will be connected via a usb port. Of course if the issue is a compatability one, the wifi adapter may compensate.

I'd get a cable and try to watch as normal and if a bit stop starty get it out the drawer. 
  • Options
    Ok, thank-you everyone for your assistance.
    I'll try my laptop for the next away game and if Curbs & Brownie are "jumping", I'll try my son's laptop and see how I get on.
    What a day (I won't mention Carpetright who I have also been dealing with today).