Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Deptford High Street

124»

Comments

• Options
    We used to live in Egerton Drive SE10 when I was a small kid.
    It was Greenwich but close to the Greenwich, Lewisham, Deptford border.
    I remember Carrington House and Charlie the Tramp (late 60's) who was usually visible.
    I vaguely remember my mum shouting out to me one day with some concern as I turned round and walked straight into Charlie.
    As I can still remember it I presume I've suffered a lifetime of PTSD  :)
    Does anyone else remember Charlie?
    I think there was another tramp who always had a flower in his lapel.
    It's all I remember Deptford for.  
    I grew up in Royal Hill and remember him and many others. All from Carrington House. They still had a rope there for anyone unable to get a bed. There were dozens of proper tramps on the streets of Deptford and Greenwich in those days, many shell-shocked and injured war veterans. 
    Hence the derivation "hungover" ?
    Apparently not.

https://factcheck.afp.com/false-claim-circulates-online-hangover-term-derived-historic-practice-sleeping-rope
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Blucher said:
    I worked in New Cross for a year at the turn of the 80s and lived in Rochdale Way, just off Deptford High Street (principally because the bills-inclusive rent was only a tenner a week). I didn't find the area menacing, although I was shot in the arse one day with an air rifle whilst walking along New Cross Road by a gaggle of youths who were pissing themselves laughing in a passing car. I tried not to take it personally, as they were taking pot shots at pedestrians generally as they wended their way down the road.

Forty odd years ago, Deptford High Street had several pubs, none of which were, in my opinion, any good and the area was certainly run down and on the seedy side. The only pub my mate and I frequented every Friday lunchtime was the Dog & Bell. The pub was smaller back then, very friendly (as now) and served an excellent pint of Fullers ESB.

Nowadays, Deptford is one of our reasonably regular pre-match haunts en route to The Valley. The Dog & Bell is excellent and I also really like the taprooms at Villages and Little Faith. We used to pop into The Taproom at 3 Market Yard by the station when it was run by Hop Stuff Brewery but stopped doing so when they went bust and one of the behemoth breweries took over. Will have to revisit the place now it's run by Salt Brewery from West Yorkshire.

As for the High Street, it's certainly an area in transition, with hipster coffee shops and tattooists rubbing shoulders with the street market, Manze's pie and mash shop and a variety of other food outlets.
    Danny Baker was shot in the leg in Jamaica Rd.  The 'bandits' car then sped off, spun round the roundabout by the Rotherithe tunnel, came back and shot him in the arse (as he was bent down examining his first injury).  He reckons it was West Ham fans.  
    Haha either there was alot of people doing that or just one nutter as it seems what I thought was a one off seems quite common ! I was shot in the arse whilst walking down the road after a night in the World Turned Upside Down. How things have changed earlier this year I drove past where it happened and said to my kids who were in the car "hey that's where I got shot in the arse" they asked if the police caught person when I explained I didnt ring them they were dumbfounded lol no idea why but it wasnt the done thing then.

It is very strange though as alot of people have already said SE London is a shithole bit like others I left 32 years ago but it's still where I call home. Very weird
    One possible identifier was the pellet itself. Danny said there was a feather on the end of the ones that hit him.  He said they were the sort of thing that bring elephants down ... maybe not though eh? 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Blucher said:
    I worked in New Cross for a year at the turn of the 80s and lived in Rochdale Way, just off Deptford High Street (principally because the bills-inclusive rent was only a tenner a week). I didn't find the area menacing, although I was shot in the arse one day with an air rifle whilst walking along New Cross Road by a gaggle of youths who were pissing themselves laughing in a passing car. I tried not to take it personally, as they were taking pot shots at pedestrians generally as they wended their way down the road.

Forty odd years ago, Deptford High Street had several pubs, none of which were, in my opinion, any good and the area was certainly run down and on the seedy side. The only pub my mate and I frequented every Friday lunchtime was the Dog & Bell. The pub was smaller back then, very friendly (as now) and served an excellent pint of Fullers ESB.

Nowadays, Deptford is one of our reasonably regular pre-match haunts en route to The Valley. The Dog & Bell is excellent and I also really like the taprooms at Villages and Little Faith. We used to pop into The Taproom at 3 Market Yard by the station when it was run by Hop Stuff Brewery but stopped doing so when they went bust and one of the behemoth breweries took over. Will have to revisit the place now it's run by Salt Brewery from West Yorkshire.

As for the High Street, it's certainly an area in transition, with hipster coffee shops and tattooists rubbing shoulders with the street market, Manze's pie and mash shop and a variety of other food outlets.
    @blucher in the housing co-op?  I lived there, too, ‘85 to Dec ‘86. 
    @AddicksAddict" - The very same ! I was only there for a year but it was very handy for work at the time. The only slight downside of the accommodation was that the other tenants tended to have the heating on too high - I’m guessing that’s unlikely to be an issue these days !
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Blucher said:

Danny Baker was shot in the leg in Jamaica Rd.  The 'bandits' car then sped off, spun round the roundabout by the Rotherithe tunnel, came back and shot him in the arse (as he was bent down examining his first injury).  He reckons it was West Ham fans.  
    Haha either there was alot of people doing that or just one nutter as it seems what I thought was a one off seems quite common ! I was shot in the arse whilst walking down the road after a night in the World Turned Upside Down. How things have changed earlier this year I drove past where it happened and said to my kids who were in the car "hey that's where I got shot in the arse" they asked if the police caught person when I explained I didnt ring them they were dumbfounded lol no idea why but it wasnt the done thing then.

It is very strange though as alot of people have already said SE London is a shithole bit like others I left 32 years ago but it's still where I call home. Very weird
    Given that my incident was with an air rifle, I didn’t for a nanosecond think about reporting it. Indeed, once the stinging wore off, I could see the funny side - a bit like Albert Finley shooting his unpleasant neighbour in the arse in ‘Saturday Night, Sunday Morning’.
  • Options
    I remember Carrington House and Charlie the Tramp (late 60's) who was usually visible.
    I vaguely remember my mum shouting out to me one day with some concern as I turned round and walked straight into Charlie.
    I grew up in Royal Hill and remember him and many others. All from Carrington House. They still had a rope there for anyone unable to get a bed. There were dozens of proper tramps on the streets of Deptford and Greenwich in those days, many shell-shocked and injured war veterans. 
    @Cardinal Sin do you remember Dreher’s greengrocer on Royal Hill?  Their daughter was in my technical drawing class at school. Quite a looker and an Addick. 
    I remember the Dreher's very well. They were from the East End originally and the youngest, Gary, a mate of mine then, was a fanatical West Ham fan. Mates of mine today still know him over West Ham and he is still just the same. I can't remember Gary's older sister's name but she was a looker, as you say, and she went on to become a Tiller Girl (dancer). 
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    AndyG said:
    Blucher said:

Given that my incident was with an air rifle, I didn’t for a nanosecond think about reporting it. Indeed, once the stinging wore off, I could see the funny side - a bit like Albert Finley shooting his unpleasant neighbour in the arse in ‘Saturday Night, Sunday Morning’.
    That is exactly what happened in my case mate. Today there would be about 100 firearms officers sweeping the area lol never crossed my mind to report anything and after we stopped running my 2 mates with me were literally pissing themselves
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Blucher said:

One possible identifier was the pellet itself. Danny said there was a feather on the end of the ones that hit him.  He said they were the sort of thing that bring elephants down ... maybe not though eh? 
    These
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Blucher said:

me too .. you can take the boy ahta Lewisham, but ... etc etc  o:)
  • Options
    @Cardinal Sin do you remember Dreher’s greengrocer on Royal Hill?  Their daughter was in my technical drawing class at school. Quite a looker and an Addick. 
    I remember the Dreher's very well. They were from the East End originally and the youngest, Gary, a mate of mine then, was a fanatical West Ham fan. Mates of mine today still know him over West Ham and he is still just the same. I can't remember Gary's older sister's name but she was a looker, as you say, and she went on to become a Tiller Girl (dancer). 
    @Cardinal Sin her name was Jane.
  • Options
    Worked at Bucks Transport in Thurston Rd (The Old Coke-Cola bottling plant) and would have to drive 
    trucks from Thurston Rd to Blackhorse Rd. When i use to pull up at the lights outside Carrington House
    one of the clients there was a female, who use to be made up to the nines, and always smiled and waved at the drivers. 
    I even lived lived at Tanners Hill when i first left home, and remember the Centurion, The Harp of Erin.
    and i worked in an Arch just off Ffinch St. Always some one flogging knocked off stuff. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worked at Bucks Transport in Thurston Rd (The Old Coke-Cola bottling plant) and would have to drive 
    trucks from Thurston Rd to Blackhorse Rd. When i use to pull up at the lights outside Carrington House
    one of the clients there was a female, who use to be made up to the nines, and always smiled and waved at the drivers. 
    I even lived lived at Tanners Hill when i first left home, and remember the Centurion, The Harp of Erin.
    and i worked in an Arch just off Ffinch St. Always some one flogging knocked off stuff. 
    Ah! The Harp of Erin. Just reminded me of that easily forgotten dive in the Broadway, The Fountain.
  • Options
    Also remember a lad called Mark Rooms getting shot outside Cheeks . H Haywards club. 
    He came from Plumstead , had a couple of brothers Trevor and?
  • Options
    Also remember a lad called Mark Rooms getting shot outside Cheeks . H Haywards club. 
    Gunter
  • Options
    clive said:
    Gunter
    Thats right, think Gunter ended up a boxer(?)
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    There’s something very uniquely special about our corner of SE London isn’t there. The characters and personalities. The atmosphere. The vibe. I struggle to put in to words what it means to me. 
    We live a bit further out now but I will always class myself as a SE Londoner.  Was born there and spent most of my life there. It’s where my heart is. I have numerous family members from all corners of SE London. Lots have moved out. But we all still class ourselves as SE Londoners. 

First game of the season this year  I took my daughter. Driving away from new cross after the game  , crawling through the traffic, various sirens blaring, crowds of people drinking out the front of the pubs, inebriated people crossing the road in front of us without even looking, a West Indian street party down some side street, music blaring and people dancing. My daughter was just staring out the window, absorbing it all (makes a change from staring  at her phone!). She turned to me and said “there’s no order is there dad”. 

And that nailed it for me. There’s no order. And I love it. Proud to come from where I do. Most of its a shithole, but I don’t care. A lot of people struggle. But they do it with a smile on their face. I’ve been all over this world but the best people I’ve come across are those from our little corner  of SE London. 

P.S. beers have been taken tonight hence my over sentimental post 🤣

You are right or well your daughter is, there is a kind of disorder to it when looking at it as an outsider, though once you know its not that hectic.

I used to live up Lompit hill for a few years and the bloke (Mr Pink) lived in the colourful house across the road from me. Each evening he would come outside and scream and sing. I remember a mate turning up and saying to me "there's some mental bloke screaming outside that house over there!!" which i then replied "oh really, he's early today" 

Lived in Eltham as a kid so didn’t know Loampit Hill that well……but whenever we got a 21 bus on the Red Bus Rover we always used to call it “The witches house”. We never saw this elusive “Mr Pink” however. 
  • Options
    My Dad had a workshop in deptford for decades. He used to go for lunch to Lou's café on deptford high street. Lou and his wife Josie ran that café for well over 30 years. I used to enjoy going there as a kid and having sausage and chips and baked jam roll and custard for pudding. It was a classy establishment with marble top tables and Lou serving with a tea towel draped over his arm like a posh waiter. Lou used to relay the orders to the kitchen through a hatch in the wall and the way he called out the order it always seemed to me that the kitchen was down in a deep cellar. I was disappointed to find out years later that it was just the other side of the wall. Lou and Josie retired sometime in the early 90s but we still bumped in to Lou in Greenwich now and then. Sadly Lou died and Josie still lived above the closed café.  One night a Vietnamese gang member,as part of some turf war tried to set fire to the café. The resulting smoke and fumes was too much for Josie and she died. The bloke got done for murder. A sad end to what was a great little café.
  • Options
    Trevor was the one that was murdered.
  • Options
    StAlf198 said:
    My Dad had a workshop in deptford for decades. He used to go for lunch to Lou's café on deptford high street. Lou and his wife Josie ran that café for well over 30 years. I used to enjoy going there as a kid and having sausage and chips and baked jam roll and custard for pudding. It was a classy establishment with marble top tables and Lou serving with a tea towel draped over his arm like a posh waiter. Lou used to relay the orders to the kitchen through a hatch in the wall and the way he called out the order it always seemed to me that the kitchen was down in a deep cellar. I was disappointed to find out years later that it was just the other side of the wall. Lou and Josie retired sometime in the early 90s but we still bumped in to Lou in Greenwich now and then. Sadly Lou died and Josie still lived above the closed café.  One night a Vietnamese gang member,as part of some turf war tried to set fire to the café. The resulting smoke and fumes was too much for Josie and she died. The bloke got done for murder. A sad end to what was a great little café.
    My mum & dad had fruit & veg stalls in the High Street, on the corner of Hamilton Street. The business had been in my mum’s family since the 1920’s but dad took over in 1952. They continued to trade until 1991, when mum was 68 & dad 70 & their retirement was featured in the Mercury. We lived in Crossfield Street, the road next to St Pauls Church, until I was 11, where they also had a yard for keeping the stalls, barrow & stock.  Sometimes I would go to Borough Market with my dad on a Saturday morning (very early) & once the stalls had been made up & mum had joined us, he would take me to Lou's café for a bacon sandwich. They also used to drink in the long gone Pilot Pub, which was directly opposite their pitch. Having traded so long, they were known by many & made some good friends, including Lou & Jose & the Manze’s. As an aside, my dad used to take me to night games at the Valley but as he worked Saturdays, my Millwall supporting older brother would take me to the Den.  Luckily, I chose the right path !
  • Options
    It was Trevor who was shot in his car in Deptford Church Street, me and two mates were arrested on suspicion, heard the gunshot and that was all. Didn't know it was Trevor I used to train with and was good mates with his brother Terry, fortunately he knew we weren't involved and we were released the next morning. 
    We went straight to a mates shop in Deptford High Street sat having a cup of tea and an elderly customer came in, she  said shame what happened to that fella last night but they've caught the three who done it, he replied no they haven't that's them in the office. She turned round and ran out of the shop.
  • Options
    Attended Addey’s in the 80s, getting the 36 or 181 from Torridon Road each day.
    Loved the area then and still do. The buzz and diversity, the busyness. Buying kickers from Shelley’s on Deptford High Street, Wednesday afternoon and Saturday morning football at Whitefoot Lane. Truly believe it shaped me in many ways and I’ve never left SE London. 
    Live in Catford now and work in Lambeth. Both sons attended the local school and did well,  academically and socially. Neither - touch wood- have experienced problems but they are aware of them and have experienced pretty awful things happening to their peers at times.

Not sure what I’m trying to say or why I find I regularly need to defend the area I’ve lived in for nearly five decades. It gets a bad press I suppose but clearly I’ve never felt the need to be away from it and I can see myself being here for a few more decades yet hopefully.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mickc said:
    It was Trevor who was shot in his car in Deptford Church Street, me and two mates were arrested on suspicion, heard the gunshot and that was all. Didn't know it was Trevor I used to train with and was good mates with his brother Terry, fortunately he knew we weren't involved and we were released the next morning. 
    We went straight to a mates shop in Deptford High Street sat having a cup of tea and an elderly customer came in, she  said shame what happened to that fella last night but they've caught the three who done it, he replied no they haven't that's them in the office. She turned round and ran out of the shop.
    Bloody hell what a story! Well the last bit is funny.

I believe one of the brothers was called Maynard who worked the door of the Drayman after that. You’d have to have been very pissed to cause trouble when he was working.
  • Options
    mickc said:
    To the best of my knowledge nobody has ever been apprehended for Trevor's murder although, from what I have had heard subsequently, there were strong suspicions as to the culprit(s) but, for whatever reason, insufficient evidence.