Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top 5 athletes of all time

Comments

• Options
    George Digweed
  • Options
    Jenna Jameson…
  • Options
    I'm undecided if Serena would be in the Top 5 greatest Tennis Players of all time, never mind the greatest in all sports. Longevity doesn't by itself make someone better, Jimmy Anderson might be an England great, but I wouldn't say he was necessarily better than Fred Trueman just because he took more TEST wickets, as he's had the benefit of modern diet and medicine, and hardly having to play county cricket for several years.

It's not as if Serena's 23 Slams puts her way ahead of everyone else in the Open Era, Steffi Graf had 22 while Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova had 18 each, and arguably prevented each other winning more. And Martina had 32 women's doubles wins, putting her way ahead of everyone else
  • Options
    Since people are including Tiger Woods I'll stick Ronnie O'Sullivans name in the mix 
  • Options
    Brian Jacks
    He presented me with a cricket medal/shield when I was at school. I was really surprised how short he was or maybe I was a big 15 year old and didn’t realise it. 
    I met him quite a few years later, he had a bouncy castle business, BJs. I hired one for my sons birthday 4th birthday party. We talked about his dips and squats on superstars. He came across as a nice guy. 
  • Options
    Brian Jacks
    He presented me with a cricket medal/shield when I was at school. I was really surprised how short he was or maybe I was a big 15 year old and didn’t realise it. 
    I met him quite a few years later, he had a bouncy castle business, BJs. I hired one for my sons birthday 4th birthday party. We talked about his dips and squats on superstars. He came across as a nice guy. 

Taught me judo as a kid in Orpington (well for the couple of weeks I was into Judo). 

Can imagine a lot of disappointed stag dos in the 90s ordered BJs and it turned out not to be what was expected.

Lives in Thailand now I think. 
  • Options
    Roger Bannister, Alf Tupper and of course Henry Cooper 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Since people are including Tiger Woods I'll stick Ronnie O'Sullivans name in the mix 
    Certainly the greatest snooker player.
  • Options
    Brian Jacks

Taught me judo as a kid in Orpington (well for the couple of weeks I was into Judo). 

Can imagine a lot of disappointed stag dos in the 90s ordered BJs and it turned out not to be what was expected.

Lives in Thailand now I think. 

Pattaya, which is fitting after calling his company BJs.

I know his son.
  • Options
    Edwin Moses deserves a mention, dominated his sport. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can we have a list of second best athletes if all time? I'll start with Tony Jarrett 
  • Options
    Eliud Chipchoge
  • Options
    If its American sports stars they missed off their real Olympic hero.  Kurt Angle, won a gold medal with a broken freeking neck.  Its true, its true.

No one mentioned Shane Warne?

Wouldn't get in the top million athletes but must he in the top 5 sports persons.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I'm undecided if Serena would be in the Top 5 greatest Tennis Players of all time, never mind the greatest in all sports. Longevity doesn't by itself make someone better, Jimmy Anderson might be an England great, but I wouldn't say he was necessarily better than Fred Trueman just because he took more TEST wickets, as he's had the benefit of modern diet and medicine, and hardly having to play county cricket for several years.

It's not as if Serena's 23 Slams puts her way ahead of everyone else in the Open Era, Steffi Graf had 22 while Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova had 18 each, and arguably prevented each other winning more. And Martina had 32 women's doubles wins, putting her way ahead of everyone else
    well, lets be honest here, the whole point of that table in the first place was because Serena has retired. That's why she's there.

She couldn't just be celebrated for what she did in women's sport, where she would absolutely be in the top 5. 

edit* of a lot of people's lists*
  • Options
    This type of thread seems to pop up from time to time.  Surely no list of top sportsmen (or women) is complete without mention of CB Fry.  Best known as a classic England batsman he was also a top class sprinter and world record holder in the long jump - also a hurdler.  He played in a CupFinal for Southampton and - icing on the cake - played rugby for Blackheath and was named in a North v South game which was a sort of international trial.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    McBobbin said:
    Can we have a list of second best athletes if all time? I'll start with Tony Jarrett 
    Tim Henman
    Newcastle when Keegan did the "i'd love it" interview
    Hamilton last year in F1
    England V Italy Euros
    Mike Atherton
    Jimmy White
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Muhammad Ali
    Usain Bolt
    Michael Jordan
    Michael Johnson
    Michael Phelps

Clearly being called Michael gives you a head start!
    Indeed. Other athletes of note with the name "Michael":

Michael Jackson
    Michael Myers
    Michael Caine
    Princess Michael of Kent
    Michael Droy
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Muhammad Ali
    Usain Bolt
    Michael Jordan
    Michael Johnson
    Michael Phelps

Clearly being called Michael gives you a head start!
    Indeed. Other athletes of note with the name "Michael":

Michael Jackson
    Michael Myers
    Michael Caine
    Princess Michael of Kent
    Michael Droy
    Michael Myers
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    This photo has been doing the rounds as it's Americans being Americans and forgetting the rest of the world (and Michael Phelps apparently) exist:

But how wrong are they?  At least 4 (I dont watch baseball so little idea there) would be in with a shout to be honest, but then it ignores so many others.

Who would you actually have in yours?

Messi?
    Bolt?
    Bradman (got to be better than Babe Ruth in a hitting things with a bat sport, surely?)?
    Tiger Woods?
    Federer?
    Cory Gibbs?

So I'm going to be the dickhead who gets really pedantic:

I think there's sometimes a difference between the "Best" athlete in a sport, and the most transformative. 

Tiger Woods is a good example: is he the best ever golfer? Maybe, there are others with more wins and more Majors but he did it in a shorter amount of time. Did he transform golf? I think the answer to that is absolutely. 

I know baseball references wont' be the most popular here, but I think Babe Ruth is probably another one. Was he transformative? Yes, primarily in that he was a good pitcher and hitter, and also one of the biggest and first stars of the sport. Was he the best ever? No, I think there are two players playing now who are better, or at least arguably will be when their careers are finished (Trout and Ohtani). 

I think Michael Jordan is an example of both. He transformed at least a role in basketball in terms of the playmaker/scorer who can do everything, and he was also the best to ever do it.
  • Options
    This type of thread seems to pop up from time to time.  Surely no list of top sportsmen (or women) is complete without mention of CB Fry.  Best known as a classic England batsman he was also a top class sprinter and world record holder in the long jump - also a hurdler.  He played in a CupFinal for Southampton and - icing on the cake - played rugby for Blackheath and was named in a North v South game which was a sort of international trial.
    No Max Woosnam though, was he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jac_52 said:

Yes, I read the thread as 'athletes' - but if it's sportsmen/women then although I would still say Ali number 1 as he is the greatest athlete and sportsman, I would include Woods among others.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    This photo has been doing the rounds as it's Americans being Americans and forgetting the rest of the world (and Michael Phelps apparently) exist:

But how wrong are they?  At least 4 (I dont watch baseball so little idea there) would be in with a shout to be honest, but then it ignores so many others.

Messi?
    Bolt?
    Bradman (got to be better than Babe Ruth in a hitting things with a bat sport, surely?)?
    Tiger Woods?
    Federer?
    Cory Gibbs?

I think there's sometimes a difference between the "Best" athlete in a sport, and the most transformative. 

Tiger Woods is a good example: is he the best ever golfer? Maybe, there are others with more wins and more Majors but he did it in a shorter amount of time. Did he transform golf? I think the answer to that is absolutely. 

I know baseball references wont' be the most popular here, but I think Babe Ruth is probably another one. Was he transformative? Yes, primarily in that he was a good pitcher and hitter, and also one of the biggest and first stars of the sport. Was he the best ever? No, I think there are two players playing now who are better, or at least arguably will be when their careers are finished (Trout and Ohtani). 

I think Michael Jordan is an example of both. He transformed at least a role in basketball in terms of the playmaker/scorer who can do everything, and he was also the best to ever do it.
    If we are talking about transformative then we are back to Fosbury .

Literally changed how the sport was played.

or do you mean transformative as in changed how we knew the game could be played? Tiger Woods hit the ball harder and further than anyone before him, Ali juked and jived and talked like nobody before him, Maradona took the ball around people like never before him, Bolt ran faster than man has ever recorded and still had time to showboat in a 9 second race, Ronnie O'Sullivan could win with his left hand in 5 minutes and score a maximum...  

Does dominance and shattering records count or is it about being at the top over a period of time and being the best? Does the sport matter? The competition?

That's why this is such a hard question and such a flipping interesting conversation. 

• Options
    edited September 2022
    in fact... i've just spent a few minutes watching the story of Fosbury... i'm in awe tbh.

guy revolutionises the sport, never practiced in the build up... showed up to the olympics and got a world record then never did it again. 

That's like Roberto Carlos turning up and hitting that free kick v France then going home and never playing again. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Messi?
    Bolt?
    Tiger Woods?
    Federer?
    Cory Gibbs?

or do you mean transformative as in changed how we knew the game could be played? Tiger Woods hit the ball harder and further than anyone before him, Ali juked and jived and talked like nobody before him, Maradona took the ball around people like never before him, Bolt ran faster than man has ever recorded and still had time to showboat in a 9 second race, Ronnie O'Sullivan could win with his left hand in 5 minutes and score a maximum...  

Does dominance and shattering records count or is it about being at the top over a period of time and being the best? Does the sport matter? The competition?

That's why this is such a hard question and such a flipping interesting conversation. 

It's hard to compare sportsmen from different eras and invariably those who have competed more recently will finish higher up the list.

Eddy Merckx deserves a mention.

The best I've been lucky enough to see are
    Nicklaus
    O'Sullivan 
    Bolt
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    SDAddick said:

Messi?
    Bolt?
    Tiger Woods?
    Federer?
    Cory Gibbs?

It's hard to compare sportsmen from different eras and invariably those who have competed more recently will finish higher up the list.

Eddy Merckx deserves a mention.

The best I've been lucky enough to see are
    Nicklaus
    O'Sullivan 
    Bolt
    not only that - it's difficult to compare sports as well - that's why it's an impossible question
  • Options
    Carl Lewis?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Carl Lewis?
    Yes absolutely... why not?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Michael Jordan
    Michael Phelps
    Tom Brady
    Usain Bolt
    Lionel Messi

Honourable mentions for Roger Federer and Tiger Woods.

Can’t forget Bradman either.
  • Options
    Bob Beamon - When everbody else was looking for 28 feet he jumped 29 feet. (long not high).
    Dick Fosberry - Changed High jumping forever.
    W.G. Grace - Vital in developing the game  - played first class cricket for 44 seasons.
    Michael Phelps - More gold medals than anyone
    Sergey Bubka - Broke World record 35 times.
  • Options
    Roger Bannister