Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terell Thomas - June 2023: 1 year contract extension confirmed (p11)

Comments

• Options
    He seems to be a really nice bloke as well
  • Options
    I think we should definitely be keeping him next season. The fact he can play on the right, the left and the middle of that back 3 all to a similar standard is very useful. Ideally he’s a backup but he has shown he can fill in wherever and do a decent job. He’s probably on a lower wage than most of our players too and seems like a great character to have in the dressing room 

If we have REG, a new centre back, Gillesphey starting most games with Jones and Thomas as other options I think we’ll be in a good place 
  • Options
    Have been sceptical and nervous when he has been selected in the past as I have consistently believed him to have 1-2 errors per game in him. His performances of late have pleasantly surprised me and as long as he keeps playing well and as error free as possible, then good luck to him. More than deserves staying in the side at the minute. 
  • Options
    I am not a massive TT fan but he has had some good games of late. Jones seems to like that he has some pace and can bring the ball out.

Still not sure if I would re-sign him as think we still need better if we are to push on but in Jones we trust. 
    Exactly where I stand.
  • Options
    Play a player in their natural role, and shock of shocks, they have some decent form.
    he’s actually a solid defender in my opinion.
  • Options
    He has become a player I would like us to keep rather than one to make up the numbers. 
  • Options
    I think he's improved but our defence is still such a weak point I don't think anyone could be too sad about wholesale changes of personnel in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our central defence is weak, unreliable, slow and error-prone even under Nathan Jones . 

Needs a complete rebuild. 
  • Options
    Provided he’s cheap (which I imagine he would be) then I would definitely retain him as a squad player for next season. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to sign him up as a key member of the team but to have him signed up for another 2 years as a squad player, with his versatility, I think would be the right thing to do. He's not the best but is a decent option to have.
    The bar is low for Charlton centre halves in the last couple of years but he has emerged as the best of the (truly awful) bunch
    Casting him aside would be cavalier.  His peak performance ain't so high but he's plumbed the depths far less often than anybody else.  He's also that seemingly rare breed: (almost) two-footed player, pretty much unique in our squad for years.
    If he gets good offers from elsewhere, so be it, he's not worth breaking the bank for
    The quality of defenders we've seen here has been so shitty, there has to be lots better out there, but TT is definitely worth sticking with
  • Options
    Of all our defenders he seems to have both the highest floor but probably also lowest ceiling. His "bad" games are not as disastrous as some but I think that Gillesphey has better passing, REG is generally better physically etc. 

I'd keep him if we can agree terms but won't shed many tears if he leaves, beyond it being another body we need to find.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Of all our defenders he seems to have both the highest floor but probably also lowest ceiling. His "bad" games are not as disastrous as some but I think that Gillesphey has better passing, REG is generally better physically etc. 

I'd keep him if we can agree terms but won't shed many tears if he leaves, beyond it being another body we need to find.
    I think players like that are pretty essential to squad building. He's good enough to be playing in a side that hasn't lost in 8 consecutive games under Jones and he's been chosen over others for that role. He's likely very cheap and in the end renewing him is going to cost a hell of a lot less than going out and getting another player of equivalent quality. He'll definitely be on less than Hector. You always want to be signing better players than what you have so hopefully we'll go out and look for two centre backs better than REG, Gillesphey, Lloyd and him. I'd rather we spent well on two top quality CBs than sign three CBs but have to lower our sights to accommodate the cost of an extra player. We know if we have to put him in he's good enough to hold his own so budget-wise keeping him on feels like the most sensible choice, and then if we do manage to go up we can let him go and bring in a new player of Championship quality in the space that opens up. Powell did this pretty well; the likes of Hughes, Evina, Sullivan, Hayes and Euell were brought in to fill out the squad but they were always going to fall back and then move on as we progressed
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Playing 3 at the back makes Thomas a lot more valuable to us. He’s equally as good on the right, middle and left so is pretty much the perfect squad player. For his wages we won’t be able to replace that very easily 
    Yes, he's always the first player shifted to another position when changes are made during games. It's really useful for a manager to have someone like that.

thenewbie said:

I think players like that are pretty essential to squad building. He's good enough to be playing in a side that hasn't lost in 8 consecutive games under Jones and he's been chosen over others for that role. He's likely very cheap and in the end renewing him is going to cost a hell of a lot less than going out and getting another player of equivalent quality. He'll definitely be on less than Hector. You always want to be signing better players than what you have so hopefully we'll go out and look for two centre backs better than REG, Gillesphey, Lloyd and him. I'd rather we spent well on two top quality CBs than sign three CBs but have to lower our sights to accommodate the cost of an extra player. We know if we have to put him in he's good enough to hold his own so budget-wise keeping him on feels like the most sensible choice, and then if we do manage to go up we can let him go and bring in a new player of Championship quality in the space that opens up. Powell did this pretty well; the likes of Hughes, Evina, Sullivan, Hayes and Euell were brought in to fill out the squad but they were always going to fall back and then move on as we progressed
    We only brought Gillesphey and REG in, in January, and gave them decent contracts. I can't see them both suddenly becoming backup players 6 months later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    Playing 3 at the back makes Thomas a lot more valuable to us. He’s equally as good on the right, middle and left so is pretty much the perfect squad player. For his wages we won’t be able to replace that very easily 
    Yes, he's always the first player shifted to another position when changes are made during games. It's really useful for a manager to have someone like that.

thenewbie said:

We only brought Gillesphey and REG in, in January, and gave them decent contracts. I can't see them both suddenly becoming backup players 6 months later.
    I'm not saying they will be, but I'm saying you should always be aiming to bring in better players. We'll need 6 CBs to get through the season. If we have REG, Thomas, Gillesphey and Lloyd then we need two more to come in and we should aim for them to be better than what we have now ideally as long as we can do that within our budget, because that's the best way for us to progress.
  • Options
    He's hardly put a foot wrong except when he joins the attack. I'd give him 2 years.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

thenewbie said:

I'm not saying they will be, but I'm saying you should always be aiming to bring in better players. We'll need 6 CBs to get through the season. If we have REG, Thomas, Gillesphey and Lloyd then we need two more to come in and we should aim for them to be better than what we have now ideally as long as we can do that within our budget, because that's the best way for us to progress.
    I don’t think that’s realistic with budget. REG and Gillesphey will be on good money. Think we will want 1 new one also on good money to complete the first choice 3. Jones and Thomas backup probably on closer to average league 1 wages and then 6th spot will probably be covered by Mitchell and/or Asiimwe.

Don’t think any teams at this level are going to have 4 centre backs on top wages, and if we did that would probably limit what we are able to do elsewhere.
  • Options
    REG, Thomas, Gillesphey, Jones, Mitchell, NEW and that will be plenty, especially with Watson, Asiimwe AND Ramsay on one side and Edun and Small on the other.

11 defenders, in a team that plays 5 at the back, if anything is one too many, we'll be lucky in so much that REG and Thomas are able to cover other positions, and Mitchell is still very young. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Our fans have ludicrous and abusive relationships with defenders. Everyone ends up thought of as error-prone and shit regardless of how well they play. We could do a complete rebuild and our fans would be onto the new lot as soon as we let a couple of goals in 
    That maybe has some merit but the stats don’t lie.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Our fans have ludicrous and abusive relationships with defenders. Everyone ends up thought of as error-prone and shit regardless of how well they play. We could do a complete rebuild and our fans would be onto the new lot as soon as we let a couple of goals in 
    It’s not entirely down to the defenders though. Both our GKs are unconvincing (in terms of being promotion quality) and until Jones came in there wasn’t enough energy and aggression from the team as a whole. Along with too much playing out from the back those factors contributed to making our defenders look less capable than they actually are.
    And a good defence isn't just about individuals, it's about teamwork and coaching. Hard work on the training ground.

Stevenage have let in 18 fewer goals than us this season, would we want any of their players?
    Shut up Braziliance
  • Options
    Have been sceptical and nervous when he has been selected in the past as I have consistently believed him to have 1-2 errors per game in him. His performances of late have pleasantly surprised me and as long as he keeps playing well and as error free as possible, then good luck to him. More than deserves staying in the side at the minute. 
    His errors tend to be of the kind that don’t cost goals, mainly hoofing the ball into touch, rather than over the half way line. Can’t think of a single occasion when he’s cost us a goal, which is very unusual for a CB. 
    His strengths are his positioning, which leads to him making quite a lot of interceptions. 
    I hope he ends up on the bench, as that would mean we’ve signed a quality first choicer. 

ShootersHillGuru said:
    Leuth said:
    Stats are often on the side of the defender though, TT being an example. Although is there a stat for ‘mistakes that lead to a goal’? 
    Naby never recovered from the Millwall winner from the corner, when he allowed the attacker to climb on him to win the header. I remember one game where he was criticised in the post match for being error prone, but watching the whole match back he actually made zero errors. 
    Similarly, Hector made a couple of mistakes early on, and it took ages before we accepted he was actually making far fewer than Jones (when Jones’ form slumped for a few games). 
    It seems the key is to start off with one or two good performances. Charlie Barker and Mitchell spring to mind. 
    It’s an interesting topic, for sure. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    His errors tend to be of the kind that don’t cost goals, mainly hoofing the ball into touch, rather than over the half way line. Can’t think of a single occasion when he’s cost us a goal, which is very unusual for a CB. 
    His strengths are his positioning, which leads to him making quite a lot of interceptions. 
    I hope he ends up on the bench, as that would mean we’ve signed a quality first choicer. 

ShootersHillGuru said:
    Leuth said:
    Stats are often on the side of the defender though, TT being an example. Although is there a stat for ‘mistakes that lead to a goal’? 
    Naby never recovered from the Millwall winner from the corner, when he allowed the attacker to climb on him to win the header. I remember one game where he was criticised in the post match for being error prone, but watching the whole match back he actually made zero errors. 
    Similarly, Hector made a couple of mistakes early on, and it took ages before we accepted he was actually making far fewer than Jones (when Jones’ form slumped for a few games). 
    It seems the key is to start off with one or two good performances. Charlie Barker and Mitchell spring to mind. 
    It’s an interesting topic, for sure. 
    I still think that was a foul on Naby.