Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terell Thomas - May 2024: Post-release interview with the SLP (p18)

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Happy with that, will make a good squad player 
    With this and the weekend signing the squad is beginning to take shape .
    Yes, unfortunately the same shape as last year's squad.
  • Options
    Absolutely a good signing. Won’t have been expensive and decent enough as cover in two positions. It’ll be the players that are signed as expected first eleven that define our season not those who are back ups.
  • Options
    Fine as cover across the back four, we’re not going to find significantly better.

Poor signing if he’s here to be first choice in any position. He’s someone who should be fighting for his place rather than expect to play.
  • Options
    Solid cover , just wouldn't want him starting week in week out. Will be interesting to see what this means for Elewere and if we find him a League 2 loan. 
  • Options
    I thought when he came in toward the end of the season he did well.
    I'm not sure what people expect. Whilst it would be great if we could, we're not going to sign 20 new players. So it makes sense to have players who can play in a number of positions and concentrate on recruiting for the particular positions that we need.

• Options
    can I just say WIOTOS.
  • Options
    Seemed pretty reliable and actually more comfortable and active at LB than CB, so cover for 2 positions a good thing and knows the current group, so happy enough with this. However unlikely, would like to see Hector over the line. 
  • Options
    Ding Dong indeed - Album on Imgur
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2023
    I think he has the potential to be a very good League One CB. I believe that before joining us he'd spent the previous two season in the Championship. He's big, he's mobile, he's good on the ball, and he can pick a pass. I sometimes worry about his ability in the air and I feel he's a little slow to read the game at times, but I think he's a good player and a good signing.

At his worst he's probably mid to lower League One, at his best fringey Championship. And he clearly really wants to be here. Get him a proper preseason and we'll see what he can do when fit. 

I hope we sign a better CB or two, Hector would be a good start. But I think TT can contribute to a promotion chasing side (which hopefully we will be).

Those saying this is a sign of mid table expectations are wide of the mark on this one. Signing Inniss would have been that. TT has a much bigger upside and has played at the level above. 
  • Options
    I thought when he came in toward the end of the season he did well.
    I'm not sure what people expect. Whilst it would be great if we could, we're not going to sign 20 new players. So it makes sense to have players who can play in a number of positions and concentrate on recruiting for the particular positions that we need.

Seemed pretty reliable and actually more comfortable and active at LB than CB, so cover for 2 positions a good thing and knows the current group, so happy enough with this. However unlikely, would like to see Hector over the line. 
    Agree with both of these.

Wasn't too impressed with him first but certainly got better as the season went on and looked more than decent by the end of it.

I actually thought he was better at left back than centre half. Maybe a bit surprisingly got forward well and could ping a good pass with his left foot.

Pleased he has signed. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    A couple of things I liked about him early on, he wasn't in any way sniffy about playing in a couple of positions for the U21's, and played well.
    And immediately he scored our third against Ipswich he picked up the ball and ran straight back and plonked it on the centre spot.
    I would say from a distance that regardless of ability he is not the dickhead type.
    And he's an international skipper!
  • Options
    I think it's a sensible signing. I'm pretty certain we aren't going to get Hector unless absolutely no-one else wants him and Inniss is gone. That means that until this signing the sum of all our senior centre backs was Ness and Lavelle. Lavelle. I think we now need to sign two quality first choice centre backs. It's cheaper to re-sign a backup CB than it is to go out and buy another one so having Ness and Thomas competing with two decent CB signings ahead of them would be a good situation to be in
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    ButtleJR said:
    Good back up. Good with the youngsters and another man in the dressing room. 
    I don’t disagree with you and happy he’s signed. But just one day I would like us to sign someone with a higher threshold than ‘another man in the dressing room’
  • Options
    Does it say anywhere how long the contract is for?
  • Options
    Not overwhelmed 
    Not underwhelmed 
    Just whelmed 
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Pleased he's signed - Bit disappointed he's taken so long to do it

Almost like he's doing it, because he has no better options, rather than he wants to be here - Kind of get Hector taking a while, because he dropped to our level in the first place - Yes Thomas kind of did the same after having leaving Reading at the end of his Contract - A whole two games @ the Championship, and clearly a mess of a club at that level.
  • Options
    As for contract length I'd be surprised if it's anything more than a years extension. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn't overly impressed last season but he did improve towards the end and don't think he had played for a while before so maybe with a whole pre season behind him he will be decent.
    CB is so key and whilst I like Ness we really need some proper proven quality there now with Thomas 4th choice and Ness battling for 2/3 place.
  • Options
    Personally I’ve not been convinced by him yet, I think he runs funny, must only be me as no one else mentions, but I’ve taken him less seriously as a result. Done ok in a couple of the games he featured near the end, but he’s 28 in a couple of months and I can’t see him getting better now. Hope he proves me wrong as I’ll happily hold my hands up (which he should do when he runs). 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Does it say anywhere how long the contract is for?
    It’s not even been officially confirmed yet so no.
  • Options
    Personally I’ve not been convinced by him yet, I think he runs funny, must only be me as no one else mentions, but I’ve taken him less seriously as a result. Done ok in a couple of the games he featured near the end, but he’s 28 in a couple of months and I can’t see him getting better now. Hope he proves me wrong as I’ll happily hold my hands up (which he should do when he runs). 
    I agree. He has a loping gait and looks awkward when running. I don’t think he has the natural physique of a full back, too tall for a start, a d doesn’t look comfortable there and I’ve also been unconvinced when he’s played centre half. We need a squad but I’m hoping we will sign better in both positions and that he’s only here as an inexpensive other option. Otherwise if he’s the quality we are going to sign then forget promotion.
  • Options
    I've heard a lot of people say he is a good lad and comes across well interviews, I know that won't win you matches but as a back up player its a big plus :)
  • Options
    Still not announced?
  • Options
    Correct
  • Options
    A decent left back, but he's not a left wing back, I can't recall him ever getting forward and overlapping with whoever was playing left-wing, from that perspective he's limited but he was solid enough defensively. 

We need four centre-backs and so far we only have Lucas Ness and Deji Elerewe. 

While he won't be a regular starter he's not a bad reserve and can cover two positions. Given where the budget is he's not a bad asset to have in the squad and he won't be anywhere near being a high earner.