Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terell Thomas - June 2024: Signed for Carlisle (p18)

Comments

• Options
    Had another very good game today I thought. Give the bloke a contract.
    Agree, definitely think he’s earned another deal. Very solid and dependable and rarely injured*

*cue now the loss of death 
    Sounds like a 1970s Doctor Who story
  • Options
    Unbeaten in our last 11 games, zero goals attributable directly to Thomas, clearly valued by Jones and trusted to play across all three centre back positions, even given the armband and there’s still people saying don’t offer him a contract. Poor fella, what more can he do?
    The tunnel jump? Oh - he did that today. 
    Useful to have in the squad imo. 
  • Options
    Think there may be a bit too much focus on TT. Always worth praising a player if he's done well, and he has.
  • Options
    edited April 6
    I think he and Hector were both very good today, some real nice touches and a bit of flair as well. To be honest i'm cynical about it because I think the pair of them know their contracts are running out and now suddenly they have found 10% extra effort. Two seasons running now at the same time of the year..

I think we can and should be looking for better. Sorry to all the TT and Hector fans.
  • Options
    I think he and Hector were both very good today, some real nice touches and a bit of flair as well. To be honest i'm cynical about it because I think the pair of them know their contracts are running out and now suddenly they have found 10% extra effort. Two seasons running now at the same time of the year..

I think we can and should be looking for better. Sorry to all the TT and Hector fans.
    Agree I’d rather keep Hector, people have  been watching poor league 1 football to much TT is not a top 6 centre half and certainly not one we can carry forward to the championship if we get promoted. His upturn in form is to late for me.

• Options
    A good squad player who we should keep.
  • Options
    With the way Jones has used him I'd be surprised if he wasn't offered a new deal. Could've had REG in yesterday and Thomas benched but again kept his place and didn't let anyone down. 
  • Options
    I think he's been playing well but for the on-pitch celebrations videos after a win his reactions seem a bit forced, so I'm afraid it's a no from me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he’ll get a new deal. Jones seems to trust him. If that’s the case then the real question is which of our current centre backs will be allowed to move on because I’m fairly sure we’ll see another senior cb coming in.
  • Options
    TT is a very decent fella and loves the club, there is no way he didn't bother earlier in the season but is trying now.  I don't rate him high enough to keep him but wouldn't be disappointed if we did as a squad player.
  • Options
    Thomas is a solid player. Good enough to be in a team that gets us promoted? We'll have to leave that one down to NJ to determine. But I do think there's a good player in there somewhere.

He's probably had the toughest time of any of our players this season. Having to fill in at left back for much of the first half of the season, it was clear that wasn't his natural position. Fans really got on his back. So much so that I had to move blocks for a couple of months because the moaning and swearing at the poor lad was so relentless in the covered end. Some fans absolutely losing their minds over it as though he'd murdered their loved ones. Peculiar...

Back into a central position and he's grown into his solid self again. Nothing spectacular, but solid and consistent. I'd keep him as a squad player.
  • Options
    I think he’ll get a new deal. Jones seems to trust him. If that’s the case then the real question is which of our current centre backs will be allowed to move on because I’m fairly sure we’ll see another senior cb coming in.
    Ness and possibly Hector.

Jones, REG, Gillesphey, Thomas, Mitchell and a new, dominant CB that's first choice above all is how I can see us being next season. There's also scope to sign a second and have Mitchell go on loan again
  • Options
    I think it is fair to say that he showed a real upturn in form before Jones arrived. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Jones, REG, Gillesphey, Thomas, Mitchell and a new, dominant CB that's first choice above all is how I can see us being next season. There's also scope to sign a second and have Mitchell go on loan again

I think this is exactly how it's going to play out. A new dominant CB who potentially is also club captain too and then Jones,REG, Gillesphey and Thomas as the other senior options. Would definitely give Mitchell preseason and evaluate from there from there, gives you the option to then decide if another spell in League 2 is what he needs or not. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    sam3110 said:

I think this is exactly how it's going to play out. A new dominant CB who potentially is also club captain too and then Jones,REG, Gillesphey and Thomas as the other senior options. Would definitely give Mitchell preseason and evaluate from there from there, gives you the option to then decide if another spell in League 2 is what he needs or not. 
    We have a dominant centre-back who has started 3 games under Jones and been man of the match in 2 of them and 2nd in the other one in Player Marks. He also captains his country who were a few seconds away from beating the USA in a competitive match recently. You don't think the new dominant centre back who's potentially also club captain might not already be here? 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    sam3110 said:

We have a dominant centre-back who has started 3 games under Jones and been man of the match in 2 of them and 2nd in the other one in Player Marks. He also captains his country who were a few seconds away from beating the USA in a competitive match recently. You don't think the new dominant centre back who's potentially also club captain might not already be here? 

• Options
    edited April 8
    sam3110 said:
    He's absolutely fine.

Don't get the "oh he's playing for a contract" trope, call me weird but I don't think players can just turn on the "form" tap like that, and why, if they could, wouldn't they leave it running, so to speak, and play like Maldini every game and we win the league at a canter?

Mentality.

If league one players could turn it on for every game they wouldnt be league players agreed, other influences, I imagine, will have an effect on "form"  you only have to look at the last few seasons to see how external (to a player their selves) can aid/ hamper form.

under Adkins we were crap, Jackson appointed with us looking shot in 19th, we had a pick up in form which proved Innis and Washington were top 6 quality before another slump and relegation threatened,  picked up again.

After Garners first 7 games Dobson/ Fraser/ Morgan was the best midfield in the league especially after we smashed Plymouth, a slump down to 17th, pick up in form when Holden came in and gave us a great night out in Manchester, TT was due to be sold in the Jan until we cashed in on O'connell, TT became the best left back in the league and a strong finish overall.

Under Holden this season we looked awful, a slight pick up when Appleton came in, then a nice slump and some proper awful performances and results, Jones in and here we are up to 16th looking like a totally different team to the start and middle of the season (mind you most of it is after the Jan window)

Relegation threatened, "new manager bounce", not being wanted can and by the looks of it will most definitely have an effect on a players form and aid/ hinder that tap being turned off and on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 8
    Still unsure on Thomas mind, in theory, improve on your current best players (which he is one of) and get better quality in and youre promotion chasing. Get a better version of Hector in (will also annoy leuth temporarily which is always, always a good thing) 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    sam3110 said:

Well possibly, but I’d be shocked sideways if decent money isn’t spent on bringing in a cb who would be expected to be first choice when available. Those already here will I’m confident be moving down the pecking order by at least a factor of one. 
  • Options
    If we replicate our current form under our current manager next season with Hector and Thomas we ll be very close to a promotion spot.I d keep them both and lose Ness .lf NJ wants anything different then I ll trust him .

I think the priorities lie with midfield, goalie and I striker .I emphasise that it's the manager who has made the difference 
  • Options
    I agree about Dobson.
    Assuming there isn’t an adequate replacement for Dobson then the team is going to need a proper re-set to manage without him.
    If we’re unable to win promotion without Dobson next season it will be the fault of Andy Scott as much as anything else.
    And promotion next season should be the sole and only focus of Charlton Athletic right now.
  • Options
    I’ve never been a fan but his defending is reasonably solid.  As long as he plays it simple he's ok but he seems to think he has the passing range of Costacurta

Probably relatively inexpensive in the scheme of things so I'd say he's worthwhile as a squad player and utility man at the back if we don't have sufficient numbers lined up
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    If we replicate our current form under our current manager next season with Hector and Thomas we ll be very close to a promotion spot.I d keep them both and lose Ness .lf NJ wants anything different then I ll trust him .

I think the priorities lie with midfield, goalie and I striker .I emphasise that it's the manager who has made the difference 
    Not just Nathan, don’t forget Paul Hart was part of a quite good Forest side, I think he knows a thing or two about defending.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    In that Ipswich 4-4 he scored, and straight away collected the ball, ran back and plonked it on the centre spot.
    He is two footed, and has the thought process of a pro. He is 28, around the age defenders play with authority.
    I like him.
    They’re going to have to do very well to secure an upgrade on Thomas at this level, who is out there that would be significantly better?
    That’s all very well Seth but how did he vote on Brexit ?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    In that Ipswich 4-4 he scored, and straight away collected the ball, ran back and plonked it on the centre spot.
    He is two footed, and has the thought process of a pro. He is 28, around the age defenders play with authority.
    I like him.
    They’re going to have to do very well to secure an upgrade on Thomas at this level, who is out there that would be significantly better?
    That’s all very well Seth but how did he vote on Brexit ?
    Nobody voted on ‘Brexit’. 

They either voted for the whole of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to remain in the European Union, or they voted for the whole of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to leave the European Union.
    Despite being in common usage, the word ‘Brexit’ is still waiting to be defined or have any relationship to the result of the vote.

SHG you are a naughty boy to ask that question of me, but I am gracious enough to give you a very good answer.