Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terell Thomas - May 2024: Post-release interview with the SLP (p18)

Comments

• Options
    If he’s cheap we should keep*

*this would pretty much be my mantra for squad building this summer.
  • Options
    Personally I would be happy with Hector, Ness, Innis + one other "first choice" CB, preferably left footed. Kids can be 5th choice 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    If he’s cheap we should keep*

*this would pretty much be my mantra for squad building this summer.
    Good evening, Thomas.
  • Options
    He even had a shot! It went nowhere near the goal, but he wasn't afraid to get forward 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We've been much more solid since he came in at left-back. The first-time pass for Leaburn's goal was nice as well. He had a much easier pass out wide he could have played but he had the vision and tekkers to find Miles.
    He's the heir to the Purrington throne that we've been waiting for.
  • Options
    His performances at LB have been an unexpected surprise. Better going forward than I expected from someone who's predominantly a CB
  • Options
    He’s surprisingly good with his left foot which means in some ways he looks even more comforts at left back than Sess. Certainly done better there than any of the other recent stand ins. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't mind if we keep him as a squad player or if we suddenly become unbeatable with him at left back for the rest of the season don't see any harm in him staying as a left back.

Tbh all we really need is to sign hector up and we can look forward to challenging at the top again. I'm convinced that if we had him and Inniss as CB for a whole season we'd get promoted. Inniss is really very good when played next to someone with the experience and leadership skills of hector. What Inniss isn't is the leading man of a back 2, which is what has been asked of him quite a lot this season.
  • Options
    Doing a decent job but hope we move him on in the summer rather than sign him and Inniss up. Don’t forget we’ve got Lavelle coming back and won’t necessarily be able to get rid of him.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Doing a decent job but hope we move him on in the summer rather than sign him and Inniss up. Don’t forget we’ve got Lavelle coming back and won’t necessarily be able to get rid of him.
    Lavelle should not, and dare I say will not, be a factor in how we offer other players contracts
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Scoham said:
    Lavelle should not, and dare I say will not, be a factor in how we offer other players contracts
    Should not - agree. Will not - less sure of that. Just because we don't want him doesn't mean that someone else will and getting rid will cost money that we seem reluctant to spend.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    As a pure CB I wouldn't keep him.

As a CB who can also cover well at LB he's a much more attractive squad member.
  • Options
    Keeping him is a tough one. He’s been very solid at Left Back in his last three games, but he’s in the same questionable bracket as Morgan, Innis, Clare etc who on their day can be excellent but over the course of the season have proven to come up short for a team genuinely aiming for promotion.

Like the other three mentioned above, it would be a bit of a shoulder shrug from me if he stays.
  • Options
    I would resign him if all 3 of the following are met.

1) We don't have a "Man City of league 1" budget.

2) Holden wants 5 senior center backs.

3) We are prepared to take a "hair cut" on Lavelle and he isn't part of our squad next season.

As with a lot of places in the squad the right looks significantly better than the left.

Hector                  standout 1st choice
    Ness                     Hector
    Inniss                   Ness
    Thomas               Inniss
    Lavelle                 Thomas

• Options
    I like him.

For me a lot depends on whether we are going to play three at the back regularly and whether there are any left footed central defenders available in the summer.

Even if there are, Terel has looked good using his left peg over the last few games so could do a job on the left in a 3. I liked EOC a lot but always felt he looked more effective on the couple of occasions he played on the right side. Terel looks more comfortable.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    This is what I was worried about, decent little spell and  there is now talk of him staying for next season. 
    We need to move on otherwise at this rate we will be keeping the same squad despite all of us constantly saying how poor this squad has been overall but yet happy to keep absolutely everyone on 
  • Options
    Looks like we are keeping everyone then. Let's not forget DH was happy to let him leave in January.
  • Options
    Have we ever had a taller back four?
    Thomas and Clare only 6 feet 3.
  • Options
    Looks like we are keeping everyone then. Let's not forget DH was happy to let him leave in January.
    No it doesn't, at all.

If Sessegnon was fit and Penny wasn't shit Thomas would have played about 5 games this season.  If you want to waste time and resources identifying a slightly better 5th choice center back knock yourself out.

Renewing, or not, the out of contract players who are currently playing, won't make much difference if half a dozen of our squad places are taken up with players that blatantly aren't good enough/suitable AND are under contract next season.
  • Options
    Havent you seen an improvement in Thomas at left back? Could be playing alongside Hector. Sess should be on the right when he's fit. 
  • Options
    Have we ever had a taller back four?
    Thomas and Clare only 6 feet 3.
    If we put out a back four of Egbo, Inniss, Hector and Thomas that would be quite a unit!

• Options
    edited April 2023
    I'm really enjoying Thomas at left back. He's like a better version of Ben Purrington. He's more solid defensively and has much better distribution. Some of his passing is excellent and he's not afraid of pinging a flat ball through a small gap to break the lines.
  • Options
    We should keep him if we can. I've always liked him as a player. And who else have we got that walks like Jar Jar Binks?
  • Options
    Get a first choice LB in (not with a scratchy injury record, or a gem from Ipswich that even Ipswich haven't unearthed) and keep Thomas. That would be my preference.