Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Yellows and suspension

At present in the Statbank I include yellows cards from all types of 1st team games which it seems might be confusing as for example Clare has 5 but one is in a Carabao Cup match.

Can someone please advise of the regulations as to which 5 yellows = a suspension in the League and then I'll change the Statbank table to reflect the true situation

Comments

• In essence, a yellow card is given as a caution or warning. It provides players receiving them another chance to stay on the field for the remainder of the game, whereas a red card means that the player has to leave the pitch with immediate effect. Two yellow cards shown to the same player within the same game results in a red card being given and the player having to leave the field play at once.

There are basically six different types of offence that can result in a yellow card being shown to a player. They are:

• Unsportman-like behaviour
    • Dissent by word or deed
    • Repeated infringement of the rules
    • Delaying the restart of play
    • Not maintaining the correct distance from a corner or free-kick.
    • Leaving or re-entering the field of play without the referee’s permission.

The current rules this season stipulate that any player accumulating a certain number of yellow cards will face disciplinary action in the form of match bans. It  works on the following principles:

• Five yellows accumulated before match week 19 results in a one-match ban.
    • Ten yellows accumulated by week 32 will result in a two-match ban.
    • Fifteen yellows by week 38 means a three-match ban.
    • Twenty yellows in a season can result in the Regulatory Commission punishing the player in a manner that they deem to be most fitting.

Generally, the suspensions laid out above refer to league matches only, not tournaments.

• Our present disciplinary culture is poor. but it isn’t helped by booking for the manager.
    I know referees can be crap, so can the weather, for Ben Garner he has to deal with it rather than set a bad example.
    When managers criticise referees they are setting up excuses for their own failings.
  • Pudds said:

In essence, a yellow card is given as a caution or warning. It provides players receiving them another chance to stay on the field for the remainder of the game, whereas a red card means that the player has to leave the pitch with immediate effect. Two yellow cards shown to the same player within the same game results in a red card being given and the player having to leave the field play at once.

There are basically six different types of offence that can result in a yellow card being shown to a player. They are:

• Unsportman-like behaviour
    • Dissent by word or deed
    • Repeated infringement of the rules
    • Delaying the restart of play
    • Not maintaining the correct distance from a corner or free-kick.
    • Leaving or re-entering the field of play without the referee’s permission.

The current rules this season stipulate that any player accumulating a certain number of yellow cards will face disciplinary action in the form of match bans. It  works on the following principles:

• Five yellows accumulated before match week 19 results in a one-match ban.
    • Ten yellows accumulated by week 32 will result in a two-match ban.
    • Fifteen yellows by week 38 means a three-match ban.
    • Twenty yellows in a season can result in the Regulatory Commission punishing the player in a manner that they deem to be most fitting.

Generally, the suspensions laid out above refer to league matches only, not tournaments.

I think what @lancashire lad was more wanted to know is are yellow cards picked up in cup competitions counted towards the number needed for a ban. I'm pretty sure they're not on the basis you can't use cup games to serve the ban.  
  • Cups generally have their own disciplinary rules (Champions League for example, yellows in consecutive games equal a one match suspension) and are treated separately to the League
  • Bookings in the Champions League won't be a concern for us for many a year.
  • sam3110 said:
    Cups generally have their own disciplinary rules (Champions League for example, yellows in consecutive games equal a one match suspension) and are treated separately to the League
    I thought bookings on the league cup counter towards league suspensions, but I may have imagined this! Not sure about the FA Cup. 
  • Sorry for my choice of website.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7002974/yellow-red-cards-all-competitions-fa-cup-premier-league-efl-rules/amp/

12:15, 23 Sep 2019

“In the past, yellow cards picked up in the Premier League, football leagues, FA Cup or Carabao Cup would be added up together.

This meant that five yellow cards across all competitions would result in a player missing one match - in whichever competition they should have been playing in next.

However, the changes this season will see yellow cards only counting in the competition they are received.

Red cards will continue to count across all competitions.”