Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England vs Italy / Germany

Comments

• Glad I watched that second half. 

Thought we were dire all game until we went 2-0 down then played how we should be trying to play from the start. I reckon the players just ignored Southgates orders and played how they know they can play.

Fully expect us to revert into our shells for the world cup but live in hope we see the England that finished that second half.

Gutted for Pope. Looked nervous all game. Terrible error and his attempt to save the penalty was painfully bad.
  • Please leave Pope and Maguire at home.
  • Sad for Pope. Bellingham totally magic!
  • edited September 2022
    Was there tonight, rubbish for 70 minutes. Crap atmosphere too. Feel sorry for Pope, really like the guy but his kicking gets exposed at this level. Strange Tomori/Toney didn't get any minutes the last two games
  • Poor old Popey.

He did that a few times for us in his early days but I thought he'd cured it.
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:
    Poor old Popey.

He did that a few times for us in his early days but I thought he'd cured it.
    It has been claimed that he has such powers but Pope Nicolas can't really cure anything. 

Here's an excerpt from a future religious football book:
    Nicolas was excommunicated by Southgate of Qatar in December 2022, and sought refuge with King Edward of Newcastle. Having obtained assurance of pardon, he presented a confession of his sins first at St Georges Park, and then to the elders of Lancaster Gate who absolved him.
  • Never realised just how good a player Bellingham is 
  • Even MsAA, who knows as much about football as I do about crocheting, thought that was an appalling mistake by Pope.

However, whilst Pope has certainly fluffed any chance he had of being the starting 'keeper, Maguire, I would wager, is still one of the first names on the team sheet.
  • really enjoyed that, but only started watching from 50 mins or so when Germany got their second. Cut out the defensive howlers and we've got a decent team
  • no excuses for picking players not on top form given the depth of talent we have in some positions
  • no excuses for picking players not on top form given the depth of talent we have in some positions
    Could argue that Pope has been in better form than Ramsdale

Partly because he's had more to do in games for Newcastle though.
  • Chunes said:
    The Maguire tackle for the penalty was pub league.
    Maquire gets in purely on the back of his £80m move to Man Utd - had that not happened and he was still at Leicester, he'd be nowhere near the squad
  • Chunes said:
    Maquire gets in purely on the back of his £80m move to Man Utd - had that not happened and he was still at Leicester, he'd be nowhere near the squad
    He was at Leicester when he was in the squad for 2018. Was even listed in the team of the tournament.
  • Sponsored links:

• Maguire has been shite for a while and people were clinging onto his England form, and he's now shite in those too! Bloke's a blockheaded donkey
  • sam3110 said:
    Maguire has been shite for a while and people were clinging onto his England form, and he's now shite in those too! Bloke's a blockheaded donkey
    Think last night might do us a favour, Southgate shouldn't rely on the 'he's done well for us in tournaments' etc as I think he may well have done.

It made it obvious that he's woefully out of form and low on confidence.

Makes it a shame for me that we've not given Tomori a run out though, feels like there aren't many alternatives and would have been interested to see how he did.  Guess Southgate will play Walker, Stones, Dier, but what if one or two of them aren't fit?
  • sam3110 said:
    Maguire has been shite for a while and people were clinging onto his England form, and he's now shite in those too! Bloke's a blockheaded donkey
    But so is Southgate for keep picking him, absolute clown.
  • Chunes said:
    He doesn't at all. If an expensive move to United was a guarantee of a place then Sancho would be there.

Maguire gets in purely based off past performances for England, but not sure that can still apply given we're over a year on from the Euro's, his club have dropped him and he's getting worse each game. 
  • edited September 2022
    Thought Maguire played well apart from the penalty, can kind of forgive him for losing the ball on the edge of their box considering he won the ball there originally.

That said, we cant afford those kind of mistakes in a knock out tournament.

Southgate will start 3 at the back, so its Walker, Stones plus....?
  • Thought Maguire played well apart from the penalty, can kind of forgive him for losing the ball on the edge of their box considering he won the ball there originally.

It'll be Maguire, if he doesnt play the majority of games in Qatar I'll be shocked - The debate in the defence now could be whether Stones will be fit enough, as he seems to be getting very injury prone at the moment.

Think it'll be Dier if not
  • Stones is a worry too, as for a CB he seems to pick up a lot of muscle injuries
  • Thought Maguire played well apart from the penalty, can kind of forgive him for losing the ball on the edge of their box considering he won the ball there originally.

It'll be Maguire, if he doesnt play the majority of games in Qatar I'll be shocked - The debate in the defence now could be whether Stones will be fit enough, as he seems to be getting very injury prone at the moment.

If it is Maguire, im hoping the group games will provide him with some confidence. We should qualify comfortably.

If it is Maguire, im hoping the group games will provide him with some confidence. We should qualify comfortably.
    Iran (Win) | United States (Draw) | Wales... (Gulp!!)

Wont be overly surprised to see England | Wales | United States on 4-pts

Iran (Win) | United States (Draw) | Wales... (Gulp!!)

Wont be overly surprised to see England | Wales | United States on 4-pts
    The USA are terrible.