Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

STATBANK: Barnsley 3-1 Charlton

thanks to the 48 lifers who gave marks
the team were caught offside 8 times

Comments

• Options
    An average score of 3.51 should result in automatic contract termination. 
  • Options
    Agreed, ridiculous scapegoating considering the awful defending from the 2 centre backs which cost us the game.

If Albie had been that bad, he would have been the first player to be subbed, not the only one of the starting midfielders to play all 90
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Can't believe the amount of scapegoating going on around Albie. He was comfortably our best midfielder on the day, which isn't to say he was incredible but he was certainly better than Dobson and Fraser. Created more and made more tackles than both of them combined. I'm not even his biggest fan but this is crazy. Or am I crazy.
    I said it in the scoring thread... someone marked Stockley at 6 and Morgan at 1. Those sort of marks should be ignored. 

No way was he the worst player on the pitch. How many times does Stockley win a header or fail to control a ball to feet?  Ridiculous mark for Morgan. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Can't believe the amount of scapegoating going on around Albie. He was comfortably our best midfielder on the day, which isn't to say he was incredible but he was certainly better than Dobson and Fraser. Created more and made more tackles than both of them combined. I'm not even his biggest fan but this is crazy. Or am I crazy.

You are probably crazy but as Charlton fans  most of us are !

In the first half other than the wild shot which unfortunately is Albie's trademark he played fine and supported and passed well overall where we were the better side until the comical shots at goal where Clare on two occasions proved his worldie goal was a freak and CBT proved he has no composure. AM doesn't hide BUT the reason I believe he took the most flax was the two or three passes late on when not under pressure. Ben Garner wants Morgan to play the longer pass to set CBT or Rak Sakyi on their way. Albie game can go from the sublime: Plymouth game where he even played well at RB after Clare went off, to the ridiculous, where his game falls off a cliff.

Ironic that the other popular midfielder (sic) Gilbey scored a cracking goal from outside the box as soon as he went out on loan which other than in a friendly I can't recall him doing for Cafc ?
  • Options
    LINCLON?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    good marks for Payne once more, but Garner is still not starting him ... errrrr why t f not ?

and the same applies to others brought on as subs, they are getting better marks in many cases (from the CAFC fan jury) than many of the starters
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Morgan gets scapegoated because he tries to do more than many of his counterparts. He has the ability, but his inconsistency understandably winds people up.

A general example of when Morgan can look bad is when he tries to make a long pass and the recipient misreads or doesn't bother trying to get on the end of it. A playmaker plays the ball into space. If Morgan is pinging a ball crossfield, I would expect the recipient to be making sure they get on the end of it and acting upon it correctly beyond that. Sometimes though those same long passes aren't accurate enough from Morgan and that's a fair criticism. 

Any one player isn't our problem though, inconsistency across our whole squad is the issue. 

It's also worth considering the breakdown in defence Saturday could have been driven by the change in goalkeeper. If the communication between those three isn't right it will lead to mistakes.
    (Once again though inconsistency of the defensive line up, doesn't help this). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jac_52 said:

Albie game can go from the sublime: Plymouth game where he even played well at RB after Clare went off, to the ridiculous, where his game falls off a cliff.

No doubting his inconsistancy ...... but perhaps, when Albie's game "falls off a cliff" it's because others around him aren't doing their jobs effectively and he tries to compensate, trying too hard?

A couple of miss-placed passes, a seed of doubt in his mind, and confidence drops away.
    Then it's a case of the harder you try, the more mistakes you make. 

At least he's not hiding in the game.

• Options
    Personally I thought Morgan was poor once again, although not the worst.

If he had made even the slightest attempt to close down the 1st goal scorer, it would have been a start. He made no attempt at all.

He lost most of the tackles he half heartedly attempted, as usual. 

His passing was average, did he have a shot?

He's not good enough for L1.

Yes he has potential, but he plays a good game a few times a season and that is not good enough. 

If we're happy to get relegated and remain in L2 by all means heap praise on Morgan's level of performance. 
  • Options
    I didn't see the game but heard the commentary. Peter Shirtcliff certainly commented he thought he did alright but was critical of Dobson and Fraser. @Jac_52 stats above seem to confirm this. 
    The other thing that is very different in the stats from the commentary, (Terry, Peter, Brownie and Scott ) was that we were much better in the first half than the second and actually were pretty decent first half, bar shooting, whereas in the second half we tailed off. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

If he had made even the slightest attempt to close down the 1st goal scorer, it would have been a start. He made no attempt at all.

Yes he has potential, but he plays a good game a few times a season and that is not good enough. 

If we're happy to get relegated and remain in L2 by all means heap praise on Morgan's level of performance. 

I'm not heaping praise on him but that was not a performance deserving of him being scored 3.5 out of 10 when he was still our best midfielder on the day and our defending wasn't even Sunday league level.

His passing was better than both our other midfielders and he made more successful tackles than both of them combined.

He's being scapegoated big time here.
    Exactly. Nobody was saying Morgan was good, but his score is ludicrous.

Just looking at the stats above, Fraser has 0/1 tackles in the match. ONE attempt at a tackle which he failed to do. And very little attacking contribution, yet ends up the 6th best player in the stats.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    There is probably a reason why Barnsley and others would allow a player like Morgan time and space on the ball…
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

I'm not heaping praise on him but that was not a performance deserving of him being scored 3.5 out of 10 when he was still our best midfielder on the day and our defending wasn't even Sunday league level.

His passing was better than both our other midfielders and he made more successful tackles than both of them combined.

He's being scapegoated big time here.
    I don’t think he was. 
    Fraser was ok, Payne was good when he came on, and Dobson wasn’t terrible. 
    Morgan flatters to deceive. I wish he was good enough, I really do, but he really isn’t. 🙁
  • Options
    Yet Morgan was the only one not subbed off from the Fraser, Morgan and Dobson. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I’d rewatch the match if I had time. Maybe I’m being harsh. 
    But I honestly don’t remember Fraser doing much wrong, and was very surprised when he was first to be subbed - although it was brought about to go to a 442 with Leaburn, so perhaps understandable. 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    But I honestly don’t remember Fraser doing much wrong, and was very surprised when he was first to be subbed - although it was brought about to go to a 442 with Leaburn, so perhaps understandable. 
    Fraser was probably shattered as he hasn't had a proper night's sleep for a fortnight. :smile:

#babiesarebeautiful

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    As an attacking midfielder the balance of his judgement should be on what he does right and in an attcking sense. For a defender I agree about not doing much wrong. A good centre half is hardly noticed sometimes.
  • Options
    redman said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    As an attacking midfielder the balance of his judgement should be on what he does right and in an attcking sense. For a defender I agree about not doing much wrong. A good centre half is hardly noticed sometimes.
    Morgan made more mistakes than Fraser and Dobson.

But then he also did more things full stop, so on balance that's why he stayed on. Fraser in particular was very quiet.