Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting the mojo back for Oxford?

We’ve seen how this team can play - against now table toppers Plymouth, we scored five goals and completely dominated the match.

Our home record is not a disaster with two wins and three draws from five. We must convert the next match against Oxford into three points or the season does begin to feel very grim indeed.

My impression is that the weekend drained a large portion of this team’s confidence and getting that back is a tough task. 

Does Garner go back to the XI that played in that Plymouth game, with the exception of one of Egbo or Sess coming in for Clayden?

Comments

• Options
    Oxford schooled us last season. It was the first game I left at HT to watch with a pint in the bar like some oddball.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Oxford schooled us last season. It was the first game I left at HT to watch with a pint in the bar like some oddball.
    And yet they are in bad form so far this season. Below us in the table in 19th. They’ve lost three of their four away games. We have to take advantage of that.
  • Options
    Garner can’t keep complaining about our lack of end product or quality in the final third. Then keep leaving out Kirk, Payne and Leaburn who have probably shown the best final product in terms of crossing/shooting so far this season in their limited minutes. Picking Stockley, Morgan and CBT is just going to see more of the same, good build up, poor crossing and finishing 
  • Options
    It’s going to get hard for BG now.  It’s not like we have better options to come in and replace those that aren’t delivering.

Stockley has no goals in open play, Aneke is still injured which only leaves Miles Leaburn.  

CBT and JRS aren’t composed enough in the final third, but the replacement options are Kirk and Mansfield - neither have pulled up trees in their time here and it’s negligible as to any real difference they can make.

Payne in for Morgan or Fraser, McGrandles in for Dobson, what difference will it make?

No natural left footed left backs other than Clayden and Chin, means one of Egbo, Clare or Sessegnon playing out of position.  

For me it doesn’t matter who starts, there’s simply not enough quality.  
  • Options
    Another thread where there’s no answer other than more discussion about the same old same old.

We can’t effectively change things, other than perhaps turn up in droves and be the 12th man! 

So why the endless meanderings and putting the same words in a different order. It doesn’t solve anything, all it does is show how endlessly we all talk about the same thing, day in day out.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I left on 33 minutes, the real oddballs stayed till the end!
  • Options
    The thing I enjoy about the Oxford fixtures are the obligatory post match comments from KR “Charlton are a great club, I loved my time here.  If they could just find a bit of form I think they could be a Championship club, the stadium, the facilities, everything is in place”
  • Options
    This is must win territory for us now and I truly hope the players can step up and deal with the pressure. I dread what the mood will be if we don't get a result.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    The thing I enjoy about the Oxford fixtures are the obligatory post match comments from KR “Charlton are a great club, I loved my time here.  If they could just find a bit of form I think they could be a Championship club, the stadium, the facilities, everything is in place”
    His defence of Adkins and Jackson, last season, make much more sense now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Give up the extended midfield gameplan that encompasses everyone from the lone striker down to the goalkeeper and put in place an attack and and a defence and we could be in with a shout 
  • Options
    Big home game against the mighty Oxford City. Or is it United? Heady days.
  • Options
    Just tell the players that anything less than a win then they will be locked in a room with Gobinson after the match & forced to listen to his assessment of the game. 
  • Options
    But what if this is our Mojo playing against a team with 11 players over 90 minutes?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    And yet they are in bad form so far this season. Below us in the table in 19th. They’ve lost three of their four away games. We have to take advantage of that.
    Before they take advantage of us. :neutral:

• Options
    Oxford won the League Cup as recently as 1986 , this will be a tough fixture make no mistake (leave that to our defence)
    Not many teams will get points at home against them. Make no mistake.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Oxford won the League Cup as recently as 1986 , this will be a tough fixture make no mistake (leave that to our defence)
    Not many teams will get points at home against them. Make no mistake.
    We played a wounded animal today, they haven’t started well and had a point to prove. 
  • Options
    Another thread where there’s no answer other than more discussion about the same old same old.

We can’t effectively change things, other than perhaps turn up in droves and be the 12th man! 

So why the endless meanderings and putting the same words in a different order. It doesn’t solve anything, all it does is show how endlessly we all talk about the same thing, day in day out.
    Football forums might not be for you..... just a suggestion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Football forums might not be for you..... just a suggestion.
    You might be right, I’ll 🐻 it in mind.

Point being this thread could have been tagged on the Post Match views or the Garner thread, rather than a new one to bang on about the same thing.

Just trying to be economical and tidy;)
  • Options
    We’ve seen how this team can play - against now table toppers Plymouth, we scored five goals and completely dominated the match.

Our home record is not a disaster with two wins and three draws from five. We must convert the next match against Oxford into three points or the season does begin to feel very grim indeed.

My impression is that the weekend drained a large portion of this team’s confidence and getting that back is a tough task. 

Does Garner go back to the XI that played in that Plymouth game, with the exception of one of Egbo or Sess coming in for Clayden?
    It has become clear that the Plymouth performance was an outlier.
    I don't mean to be disingenuous as we were playing well and edging it, but them going down to ten men made things so much easier for a team set up for a passing game.
    Mediocre centre backs and poor defensive organisation coupled with a complete absence of a clinical finisher is killing us.
    Failing to win games and loss of confidence will become self perpetuating if not arrested soon and the signs aren't good
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Alright... what we tried for Oxford didn't quite work as hoped. Here's what my team would be for Lincoln on Saturday...

Wollacott

Egbo - Thomas - O'Connell - Sessegnon

Clare - Dobson - Fraser

Leaburn - Stockley - Kirk

Subs: MacGillivray, Inniss, Chin, Morgan/McGrandles, Payne, Blackett-Taylor, Rak-Sakyi
  • Options
    No combination of eleven players in that squad excites me whatsoever. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I’m inclined to agree now, we’re average so we may as well pick the same formation and just hope it clicks.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    They were very lucky. They were near the bottom of League Two, and QPR were top or thereabouts. 
    Unfortunately the QPR club doctor oversubscribed the team with sleeping pills the night before the final because the players were nervous, and they were all half asleep still when the came onto the pitch. Lost 4-0 and didn’t even put up a fight. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    They were very lucky. They were near the bottom of League Two, and QPR were top or thereabouts. 
    Unfortunately the QPR club doctor oversubscribed the team with sleeping pills the night before the final because the players were nervous, and they were all half asleep still when the came onto the pitch. Lost 4-0 and didn’t even put up a fight. 
    They were both in the top flight of English football that 85/86 season. Division 1 as it was known at the time. 

Both teams finished that season in the bottom half of the table.

Oxford won the League Cup final 3-0.
  • Options

I don't mean to be disingenuous as we were playing well and edging it, but them going down to ten men made things so much easier for a team set up for a passing game.
    Mediocre centre backs and poor defensive organisation coupled with a complete absence of a clinical finisher is killing us.
    Failing to win games and loss of confidence will become self perpetuating if not arrested soon and the signs aren't good
    The early season Plymouth performance was a combination of a buy-in to Garnerball’s midfield game by players that still had an idea of how to score goals and defend. I don’t think Plymouth losing a player made that much of a difference. Since then the players from the ‘attack’ to the goalkeeper have all become midfield players.

I like Garnerball but it needs a couple of adjustments to embrace the fact that you need to score more goals than the opposition if you want to win games 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    cafctom said:
    Excuse me, what about my supa dupa new line up!?

Wollacott 
    Clare Inniss Thomas Clayden
                 Dobson
       Egbo  Fraser Sessegnon 
     JRS/CBT Leaburn/Stockley

8 players who can defend (plus Stockley for set pieces) and five players who can attack.
    It’s almost cheating. I can see us winning every match playing this system. Only a fool would disagree. 😊
    It’s genius. 
  • Options

The early season Plymouth performance was a combination of a buy-in to Garnerball’s midfield game by players that still had an idea of how to score goals and defend. I don’t think Plymouth losing a player made that much of a difference. Since then the players from the ‘attack’ to the goalkeeper have all become midfield players.

I like Garnerball but it needs a couple of adjustments to embrace the fact that you need to score more goals than the opposition if you want to win games 
    Plymouth also played directly into our strengths by being really open. Everyone else saw that and realised what not to do...