Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover - The Fureys v Joss Stone (feat Jeff Beck)

Comments

• Options
    I think the Joss Stone version is appalling so it has to be The Fureys for me.
  • Options
    I love this song, both versions are good, probably slightly favour the most recent
  • Options
    Of these two, The Fureys. Joss Stone one doesn't get the song IMO - it doesn't suit an overwrought "soul" production. 
    Can I be the first to suggest the Men They Couldn't Hang's version?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPrglfL-Ndk

• Options
    edited September 2022

Of those two, the Fureys, but this, by the man that wrote it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1VD84SLW8I

Eric Bogle, of course.
  • Options
    Didn't know the song.

The Fureys was a dirge with O level English lyrics so I was hoping for better from Beck and Stone but that was worse. Soul less and over sung which is disappointing from Joss Stone.  The production is so so over the top.

So the Fureys as the least bad.
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Of these two, The Fureys. Joss Stone one doesn't get the song IMO - it doesn't suit an overwrought "soul" production. 
    Can I be the first to suggest the Men They Couldn't Hang's version?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPrglfL-Ndk

Reminds of sitting in dodgy pubs in Kilburn in the 80s where they pass the collection box round for terrorists and some awful "folk" music is played about the "men behind the wire" (which is at least a decent tune but not something I supported then or now).

Another dirge in both senses of the word.
  • Options
    It's a folk song, it's not meant to be happy 
  • Options
    Prefer The Fureys' version to the original and The Men They Couldn't Hang's.
  • Options
    Prefer The Fureys version by a country mile over the others, but my cousin Angie sings it better than all of them 😂
  • Options
    The Fureys for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Fureys version is outstanding.
  • Options
    That Joss Stone version is an abomination! I have listened to it all to give it the full benefit. No Joss! 

I could listen to The Fureys and Davey Arthur until the cows come home unfortunately for my poor husband. Sweet sixteen one of my all time favourites. 

Not everyone’s cup of tea obviously! 
  • Options
    Hadn't heard the song before, the Fureys is the best version.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    Prefer The Fureys version by a country mile over the others, but my cousin Angie sings it better than all of them 😂
    @TelMc32 well record her singing it and stick it up here so we can all hear it.
  • Options
    I love Joss Stone and one day she will realise this and run away with me. I feel some on here have not been very kind to her and should apologise for their behaviour. She is a Goddess (IMHO). 
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:
    I love Joss Stone and one day she will realise this and run away with me. I feel some on here have not been very kind to her and should apologise for their behaviour. She is a Goddess (IMHO). 
    She is undoubtedly talented and attractive (and blind for not seeing her future lies with you) but she murders that song.
  • Options
    The Joss Stone version because of Jeff Beck but tbh I don't particularly like the song