Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

In The Court Of The Crimson King (King Crimson at 50 Documentary).

Think I may be one of very few King Crimson fans on here but any one interested, there's a documentary, 4 years in the making being shown selectively.

One screening was this morning, so, too late there but other screenings taking place I believe, 19th October and 22nd October all in the blurb below.

"In the Court of the Crimson King, King Crimson at
50" Celebrates with Global "Schizoid Launch" Oct 19
& 22
London, UK: Wednesday 28th September 2022, 8am
- Today DGM Ltd is delighted to announce the public
launch of the highly anticipated documentary 'In the
Court of the Crimson King, King Crimson at 50,
directed by Toby Amies (The Man Whose Mind
Exploded).
King Crimson have always pioneered their own
uncompromisingly independent route, and this
documentary, 4 years in the making, has followed
the same path. In a carefully choreographed global
event, the movie will be available for One Day Only in
select independent cinemas worldwide on
Wednesday 19th October, with a specially filmed
introduction. This will be followed on Saturday 22nd
October by a special streamed screening in London,
with live introduction by Robert Fripp and Q&A with
the director and band members.
The whole event and movie to be available live
worldwide on the nugs.net platform and available
through Video On Demand for a 24 hour period
thereafter to allow for fans in different time zones
around the world. A BluRay/DVD release and larger
box set will follow, with never-before-seen live
performances of the band, outrageous outtakes, and
hours of unreleased additional footage.

Comments

• Options
    I'm one of the few - epic band.

• Options
    Think I may be one of very few King Crimson fans on here but any one interested, there's a documentary, 4 years in the making being shown selectively.

One screening was this morning, so, too late there but other screenings taking place I believe, 19th October and 22nd October all in the blurb below.

& 22
    Exploded).

I was a fan in the early seventies, up to the age of about 18. And I liked the work Fripp did with Eno and Bowie later on.
    Did you know there’s a rap tune using 21st Century Schitzoid Man?
  • Options
    BTW saw Moonage Daydream yesterday. Brilliant docco about Bowie (of course). 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

That's not a big enough word to describe them @bobmunro Humongous, not sure even if that's befitting;)
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    JamesSeed said:

& 22
    Exploded).

I was a fan in the early seventies, up to the age of about 18. And I liked the work Fripp did with Eno and Bowie later on.
    Did you know there’s a rap tune using 21st Century Schitzoid Man?
    😹 No, I didn't but then again it doesn't surprise me!

You should try dipping into their back catalogue, even I was surprised at the extent of their genius. And thankfully they introduced me to Tony Levin and Adrian Belew who I never would have come across otherwise.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    BTW saw Moonage Daydream yesterday. Brilliant docco about Bowie (of course). 
    I'm planning on going.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

That's not a big enough word to describe them @bobmunro Humongous, not sure even if that's befitting;)
    I saw them live at the Hammersmith Palais in 1982 http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/concert-reviews/4428

Tiny venue and I was standing a few feet away from the biggest speakers I've ever seen. I had ringing in my ears for days afterwards.

Crimson King one of the greatest debut albums and probably the best prog rock debut (maybe Piper matches it!).

Yes - epic is not enough.
  • Options
    Remember the moment of finding that album in my dad's record collection as a young lad. The artwork first attracted me but the music really did blow me away. 

Not a huge fan of prog rock in general but crimson king was superb and I couldn't not love it. 
  • Options
    Blimey I almost forgot about King Crimson.
    I think I had a copy of "In the court of the Crimson King" in the late 1960's.
    Left it with a girlfriend I think.
    Good memories.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

And me. Probably listen to them  more now than then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up.
    The astonishing thing about In the Court of the Crimson King is that it was released in 1969.
    The same year as Let it Bleed and Abbey Road, both classics but it shows just how far out there Crimso were.
    I don't class myself as as a massive fan, I have half a dozen albums. I like some of the albums that others don't e.g Lizard

• Options
    Thanks for the heads up.
    The astonishing thing about In the Court of the Crimson King is that it was released in 1969.
    The same year as Let it Bleed and Abbey Road, both classics but it shows just how far out there Crimso were.
    I don't class myself as as a massive fan, I have half a dozen albums. I like some of the albums that others don't e.g Lizard

Not to diminish Crimson King, but The Piper at the Gates of Dawn beat it by 2 years.

Just sayin!
  • Options
    no-one's mentioned Greg Lake, the 'Crimson Voice' and a very important prog rocker with E L P
  • Options
    no-one's mentioned Greg Lake, the 'Crimson Voice' and a very important prog rocker with E L P
    I never forgave him, and so consequently never liked ELP.

Funny enough I did listen to Tarkus not so long ago, thought it was dreadful!
  • Options
    Love ‘em. Loved ELP as well. 
  • Options
    Listen to ELP’s 1st album. Brilliant 
  • Options
    In the court of the crimson King is a brilliant album
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Thanks for the heads up.

Not to diminish Crimson King, but The Piper at the Gates of Dawn beat it by 2 years.

Just sayin!
    There's definitely a case to be made, particularly when you look at the live renditions of Astronome Domine and Interstellar Overdrive.
    But having said that I have always regarded Piper as psychedelic pop/rock rather than prog.
    There, I've opened up a can of worms @bobmunro, maybe not for this thread though  ;)
  • Options

& 22
    Exploded).

Not the only fan. I have practically all the albums upto the 90s. I got the court of the crimson King 
    Soon after its release.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, Lizard ain't the most popular but I've grown to like it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I never got the chance to see them in their heyday but have seen them in later carnations about three times.

When I finally got to see them for the first time it was at the Royal Albert Hall and there I was all happy, that I was finally going to see them live and imagining all my favourites being played and the B'startds didn't play anything that I knew.

I think it must of been around the time of the release of, Thrak and I hated it because I didn't know they'd continued to record and release albums. And of course as Fripp later said, bands want to evolve and not need to play their old stuff all the time.

But as someone still stuck, ITCOTCK it felt like sacrilege but in many respects it was the best thing because I was then able to go over all their releases and while nothing will eclipse that first album and it's impact, they've continued to influence me with their great music.

And am I grateful for that.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

I saw them live at the Hammersmith Palais in 1982 http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/concert-reviews/4428

Tiny venue and I was standing a few feet away from the biggest speakers I've ever seen. I had ringing in my ears for days afterwards.

Crimson King one of the greatest debut albums and probably the best prog rock debut (maybe Piper matches it!).

That is not a tiny venue. The Hope & Anchor in Islington is a tiny venue!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

That is not a tiny venue. The Hope & Anchor in Islington is a tiny venue!
    I use the term in a relative sense!
  • Options
    Saw them at Hackney Empire a few years ago which was brilliant. Big fan of the Fripp & Eno stuff too.
  • Options
    hermann said:
    Saw them at Hackney Empire a few years ago which was brilliant. Big fan of the Fripp & Eno stuff too.
    I was at that gig too.
  • Options
    I never got the chance to see them in their heyday but have seen them in later carnations about three times.

When I finally got to see them for the first time it was at the Royal Albert Hall and there I was all happy, that I was finally going to see them live and imagining all my favourites being played and the B'startds didn't play anything that I knew.

I think it must of been around the time of the release of, Thrak and I hated it because I didn't know they'd continued to record and release albums. And of course as Fripp later said, bands want to evolve and not need to play their old stuff all the time.

But as someone still stuck, ITCOTCK it felt like sacrilege but in many respects it was the best thing because I was then able to go over all their releases and while nothing will eclipse that first album and it's impact, they've continued to influence me with their great music.

Now see, I have a real bee in my bonnet about that sort of shit.
    My brother had a similar experience with Steeleye Span, when an audience member enthusiatically called out for a particular song and one of the band took the mike and gave him an arsey lecture about "you wouldn't like it if somebody asked you to repeat a job you had done years ago".
    Well here's the rub you pompous windbags, did you announce before you sold the tickets that you were only doing songs from the new album? No, because you knew damned well half ther audience were paying for tickets to here their favourite songs and you didn't want a half sold out show.
    Well fuck off then.
    If Fripp doesn't want to play the old stuff all the time, that is fine but announce it when the tickets go on sale. 
  • Options
    I like them too, I had a year of return to big gigs in 2018, including King Crimson in Bournemouth, they were wonderful, fabulous musicianship. I’ve got some albums, but only a patchy view of those 50 years.
  • Options

My brother had a similar experience with Steeleye Span, when an audience member enthusiatically called out for a particular song and one of the band took the mike and gave him an arsey lecture about "you wouldn't like it if somebody asked you to repeat a job you had done years ago".
    Well here's the rub you pompous windbags, did you announce before you sold the tickets that you were only doing songs from the new album? No, because you knew damned well half ther audience were paying for tickets to here their favourite songs and you didn't want a half sold out show.
    Well fuck off then.
    If Fripp doesn't want to play the old stuff all the time, that is fine but announce it when the tickets go on sale. 

Agree - pompous and a disregard of why their fans are fans.

I saw Bowie in the 80s on a tour where he said it was the last time he would play his back catalogue. He changed his mind a few years later!

Imagine The Boss doing Hyde Park next summer and not playing Born in the USA?
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    bobmunro said:

Well fuck off then.

Agree - pompous and a disregard of why their fans are fans.

I saw Bowie in the 80s on a tour where he said it was the last time he would play his back catalogue. He changed his mind a few years later!

Imagine The Boss doing Hyde Park next summer and not playing Born in the USA?
    Personally I’d be very happy if he didn’t, I think it’s one of his worse songs ever.
  • Options

Well fuck off then.
    I take your point @six-bag-of-nuts but for me had they done the back catalogue, I’d have been stuck in ‘69 with ITCOTCK but thankfully I’ve discovered so much more of their music that I probably would have missed otherwise.