Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Britain's Second City?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Croydon said:
    Birmingham gets a lot of stick but mainly from people who have never been or haven't been for years. Of course there's some total shithole areas but what city doesn't have the same? 
    OK I haven't spent a lot of time in Birmingham, but anytime I have been, the city centre feels devoid of any history or culture bar a lot of shops, it also feels very dirty and dodgy. I know Manchester ain't exactly idyllic at times near Piccadilly Gardens and the Arndale but if you branch out to the areas around the very centre there is a lot of vibrancy and life in the areas surrounding it as well as lot of cultural history. Outside the very centre of Birmingham it just seems to turn into dodgy suburbs and big roads/highways.

Again, might not be fair as I haven't spent an equal amount of time in Brum as I have in Manc but I've never, ever heard anyone say "I love Birmingham" after a visit.
    I dont disagree that Manchester city centre is nicer, but there are nice outer areas with history like the Jewellery Quarter, Edgbaston and Bournville. 

A lot of what makes Birmingham a great city is the same thing it gets slammed for - it's a cultural melting pot. 
  • Options
    For any who doubt the standing of Birmingham, take a look at this - if it’s good enough for Telly Savalas, it’s good enough for me !!!

• Options
    Birmingham is great for art. The city gallery has many important pieces, especially the Epsteins. The Barbour Institute has a very large collection and the Ikon gallery is good fun if you're looking for something less formal. I've never been to the city library, but I believe that is highly rated too. I think one of the let downs is the architecture. Those buildings that are of interest tend to be dwarfed by the boring concrete blocks that surround them. The area around The Bullring and New Street Station is a bit of a maze, so whilst it might be great for locals it doesn't always leave a good impression on visitors who waste too much of their spare time trying to orientate themselves. Also, it doesn't help that the most prominent structure in the city centre is the BT Tower: if you just think BT Tower your first thoughts will be the one in London which it quite a bit bigger and far more interesting. The canals are great. It's a fun walk to follow them down Snow Hill and see all the locks and if you walk in the other direction, it's a never ending source of amazement how a city so central to the country get's to be the home of the National Sea Life Centre. It's nowhere near the sea! 
  • Options
    For any who doubt the standing of Birmingham, take a look at this - if it’s good enough for Telly Savalas, it’s good enough for me !!!

Genius!

"This is Mrs Taylor. I'm sure somebody loves ya, baby".
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Birmingham is great for art. The city gallery has many important pieces, especially the Epsteins. The Barbour Institute has a very large collection and the Ikon gallery is good fun if you're looking for something less formal. I've never been to the city library, but I believe that is highly rated too. I think one of the let downs is the architecture. Those buildings that are of interest tend to be dwarfed by the boring concrete blocks that surround them. The area around The Bullring and New Street Station is a bit of a maze, so whilst it might be great for locals it doesn't always leave a good impression on visitors who waste too much of their spare time trying to orientate themselves. Also, it doesn't help that the most prominent structure in the city centre is the BT Tower: if you just think BT Tower your first thoughts will be the one in London which it quite a bit bigger and far more interesting. The canals are great. It's a fun walk to follow them down Snow Hill and see all the locks and if you walk in the other direction, it's a never ending source of amazement how a city so central to the country get's to be the home of the National Sea Life Centre. It's nowhere near the sea! 
    I fund (well the bank I work for does, I manage the lending) a lot of residential development, and have done a few schemes in Digbeth and Smethwick - pretty large ones in fact - always enjoyed my visits to review progress etc

Digbeth in particular is being transformed from a very rough indeed, down at heel area, with many vacant and dilapidated buildings, into a vibrant and exciting area - I’m proud that I am playing a small part in aiding that

The key issue for Birmingham has been the inner ring road - this was a poorly thought out project, as it created a horrible situation for pedestrians so close to the city centre - you had to use high pedestrian bridges, or worse horrible gloomy, smelly and dirty underpasses, which were a haven for muggers and unpleasant people

The inner ring road also creates high pollution, BUT this is changing

The City Council recognised the problem and created the ‘Big City Plan’ in 2011 which is a 20 year project to change the city centre, remove the inner ring road, and reconnect those parts of the city that had been ‘cut off’ by the inner ring road from the city centre - it’s really bold stuff

My first visit to Digbeth reminded me of areas of London near to the centre in the late 80’s - for example the South Bank around the Oxo Tower - look at the South Bank now - Digbeth, with the part removal of the inner ring road, is now being transformed

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/directory_record/264494/big_city_plan 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I fund (well the bank I work for does, I manage the lending) a lot of residential development, and have done a few schemes in Digbeth and Smethwick - pretty large ones in fact - always enjoyed my visits to review progress etc

Digbeth in particular is being transformed from a very rough indeed, down at heel area, with many vacant and dilapidated buildings, into a vibrant and exciting area - I’m proud that I am playing a small part in aiding that

The key issue for Birmingham has been the inner ring road - this was a poorly thought out project, as it created a horrible situation for pedestrians so close to the city centre - you had to use high pedestrian bridges, or worse horrible gloomy, smelly and dirty underpasses, which were a haven for muggers and unpleasant people

The inner ring road also creates high pollution, BUT this is changing

The City Council recognised the problem and created the ‘Big City Plan’ in 2011 which is a 20 year project to change the city centre, remove the inner ring road, and reconnect those parts of the city that had been ‘cut off’ by the inner ring road from the city centre - it’s really bold stuff

My first visit to Digbeth reminded me of areas of London near to the centre in the late 80’s - for example the South Bank around the Oxo Tower - look at the South Bank now - Digbeth, with the part removal of the inner ring road, is now being transformed

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/directory_record/264494/big_city_plan 
    The centre of Brum is certainly far nicer than it was when I first visited in the late 80s, when architecturally it was still much as it was in the 70s, with the horrible inner ring road and Bull Ring shopping centre. I nearly went to Aston University, but thankfully got my first choice elsewhere  :)

What always struck me is how run down or just soulless parts of the City are, between the centre and the middle ring road when walking towards St Andrews, Villa Park or Edgbaston cricket ground. That City plan makes a lot of sense, as these are areas (like say Old Street, Shoreditch, Southwark etc) which being to close to the centre should be vibrant and happening.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Genius!

Another classic is when he goes to the top of the office building, and the view ‘took my breath away’ 🤣
  • Options
    Stig said:

Genius!

Another classic is when he goes to the top of the office building, and the view ‘took my breath away’ 🤣
    I doubt he even knew where Birmingham was, let alone went there!
  • Options
    so would anyone recommend any of these cities for a couple of nights city break with kids?
  • Options
    so would anyone recommend any of these cities for a couple of nights city break with kids?
    Edinburgh 100 %, place is full of things to do and absolutely beautiful
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cardiff is good. It's got Techniquest, The Castle and the Bay. Swansea's not too far away and has a massive beach. Don't go for the next nine moths though, it'll be pouring it down until next summer which I believe will fall on July 16th next year. 
  • Options
    Cardiff and Edinburgh are the two in my earlier post I said I’d done! Lol 
  • Options
    How about Lincoln? Get them to walk up Steep Hill - they'll be shagged out and you can put them to bed early.
  • Options
    Or Sunny Sarfend, they can go turd bobbing in the Thames.
  • Options
    Glasgow, Edinburgh, Liverpool, and Manchester. Leeds if driving
  • Options
    Interesting article on this very topic, which generated a great discussion here last year:

https://citymonitor.ai/government/which-england-s-second-city-4805
  • Options
    When first is undisputed, second is unimportant. 
  • Options
    York
  • Options
    The BBC moving to Salford has widened the gap between Manchester and Birmingham
    Moving out of London is/was an absolute disgrace.😠😠😠
  • Options
    It's Manchester.

Sorry Birmingham, but you're just a bus stop in the West Midlands these days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The first city is London
    The second city is Westminster  ;)
  • Options
    Hull followed by Birmingham, shut the doors Tom conversation closed.
  • Options
    Britains second city is 
    Birmingham if anyone went to school it would have been told to the children.

Some lovely countryside around Birmingham the same can not be said for The City.
  • Options
    No. 1 = London
    No. 2 = The rest
  • Options
    Britains second City-London, its also the first third and fourth city. That's the problem.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I’ve got feet in both camps here. Lived all my life in London until two and half years ago when I moved to West Yorkshire. London, and by London I mean central London is one of the best cities in the world. Without doubt. Once you start moving out of that wonderful centre into the burbs and Greater London then it really doesn’t have more to offer than anywhere else. The big downside is for me the traffic and there really are just too many people. Housing costs are astronomical. I can see why someone who spends a decent amount of time in central London would find it irresistible but the average suburbanite pays over the odds for just about everything with no real benefits greater than anyone living anywhere.
  • Options
    I’ve got feet in both camps here. Lived all my life in London until two and half years ago when I moved to West Yorkshire. London, and by London I mean central London is one of the best cities in the world. Without doubt. Once you start moving out of that wonderful centre into the burbs and Greater London then it really doesn’t have more to offer than anywhere else. The big downside is for me the traffic and there really are just too many people. Housing costs are astronomical. I can see why someone who spends a decent amount of time in central London would find it irresistible but the average suburbanite pays over the odds for just about everything with no real benefits greater than anyone living anywhere.

Couldn't agree more, Shooters.

Central London is breathtaking as a city and along with New York they are probably joint world capitals. Move out of that centre and the only thing going for it is proximity to the centre!

We've been up t'north (if you can call Cheshire north!) for 15 years now and I wouldn't go back south. I love the space, easy accessibility to wonderful parts of the UK, being able to move around without being stuck in endless traffic, and a slower pace of life (maybe that's an age thing) without everyone rushing around too busy to even pass the time of day with you.

The only real downside is I can't get down to The Valley that often - but maybe that's a good thing.
  • Options
    I’ve got feet in both camps here. Lived all my life in London until two and half years ago when I moved to West Yorkshire. London, and by London I mean central London is one of the best cities in the world. Without doubt. Once you start moving out of that wonderful centre into the burbs and Greater London then it really doesn’t have more to offer than anywhere else. The big downside is for me the traffic and there really are just too many people. Housing costs are astronomical. I can see why someone who spends a decent amount of time in central London would find it irresistible but the average suburbanite pays over the odds for just about everything with no real benefits greater than anyone living anywhere.ShootersHillGuru said:
    Going by your username I lived down the road from you....Well Hall Rd....1998-2005.
  • Options
    I’ve got feet in both camps here. Lived all my life in London until two and half years ago when I moved to West Yorkshire. London, and by London I mean central London is one of the best cities in the world. Without doubt. Once you start moving out of that wonderful centre into the burbs and Greater London then it really doesn’t have more to offer than anywhere else. The big downside is for me the traffic and there really are just too many people. Housing costs are astronomical. I can see why someone who spends a decent amount of time in central London would find it irresistible but the average suburbanite pays over the odds for just about everything with no real benefits greater than anyone living anywhere.ShootersHillGuru said:
    Going by your username I lived down the road from you....Well Hall Rd....1998-2005.

Where do you live now?
  • Options

Where do you live now?
    Guess your taking the piss but some do have usernames of where they use to live or where they were born (so maybe a genuine question)....I'm now in Hastings.